Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to claim my credits - Where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You can go about this in two ways:
    1 Register for Revenues online service and request a P21 for 2010. This is a review of 2010 which brings any overpayment of tax to light and refunds it to you automatically if due. The P21 is a record of the review.

2 Call or email the PAYE section of Revenue and ask them to review 2010 for you. This again brings any overpayment of tax to light and refunds it to you automatically if due. A P21 also issues as a record of the review.

Personally I would opt for the online version as this is becoming the default method of dealing with Revenue. It's akin to internet banking. Since you are 21, you might as well get used to it.

The links below will be of assistance to you.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/tax-refunds.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/index.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/paye-guide-employees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

What year does the P45 refer to? You stated that you were employed in 2009 so I'm assuming the P45 refers to 2009. As its 2010 you wish to review, just login to PAYE Anytime and request a P21 for 2010. The review will only take into account your earnings for 2010. You can check your pay and tax details match your P60 for 2010 if you wish online.

Also with claiming the rent tax credit, unless you were renting before 07/12/10 you can no longer claim it.

Finally, if the figures you posted originally were your total pay and tax for 2010, then you should get the full tax figure back just by requesting a review online. If you have medical expenses for 2010 also it will not generate a further refund for 2010 as your existing tax credits for that year more than cover it. You can never get back more tax than you actually paid in one year.

Condi wrote: »

The P45 is for employment that ended in 2009. Yet when I started my new employment in 2010, my tax certificate still listed my old employer as no P45 was issued. This must have been effecting the distribution of my tax credits as when I finally submitted the P45 in 2011, I received a small refund in my wages. I am wondering should there be a refund due for 2010 on the P45 mistake alone. My pay and tax for 2010 match my P60, yes.

I could have swore last night that the rent credit ceased in 2011! That's a bit of a let-down. I assumed with medical, flat rate expenses, etc, that when these were submitted later on that your tax credits and what you payed in tax for that year were redone and you were refunded the difference. I know I don't make much sense here but I thought the system was open to later additions and that in affect would alter what you had been paying per week that year.[/Quote]

The situation you describe happens quite a bit. If the P45 for 2009 was filed showing a cease date in 2009, then your 2010 record should now show one employment only. Check your employments for 2010 online, only the one you started in September should show.
    While the 2010 tax year was messed up for you during 2010; as the P45 for 2009 has now been filed, your 2010 record is now correct.
    In 2010 you should not have been taxed at all based on the income you posted. This will result in a full refund to you for 2010.

Submitting claims for additional tax credits or reliefs for prior years can lead to refunds of tax if you have used up your primary credits in that year. For example in 2010, you would have had a personal tax credit of 1830 Euro and a PAYE credit of 1830 euro giving 3660 Euro. This allowed you to earn 18300 in year without paying tax.

If you wish to know how much you can earn tax free for the year, just multiply your standard credits by 5. If you are going to earn over that figure (currently 16500 euro) then claim any additional credits you are entitled to decrease the amount of tax you pay through the year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You will only be given the amount of your paye tax credit necessary to ' balance ' your P21 for 2010.

Advertisement