Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17hmr advice

Options
  • 15-01-2012 6:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hi lads, been hankering for a hmr for a while and recently saw a nice marlin 917v for decent money. i don't have any experience of marlins but a friend told me the newer modal 917VSF is far better, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

The 17hmr is a great choice. As regards the marlin there is very little difference bar cosmetics between the V (varmint) and the VSF (varmint stainless fluted) the v is probably a wee bit better. Point to note the marlins while extremely accurate come with pigs of triggers. If you buy a 917 model plan to replace the trigger (apprpx €100) Also check out www.rimfirecentral.Com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

one of the lads has a marlin v in .22mag and i have a marlin vs hmr

I picked up his for the first time in a long time yesterday and it felt like a feather.

The vs has a heavy stainless barrel and a different stock.

Both have pretty much the same mechanics.

They are both good guns and shoot straight. The magazine seems to be abit of a problem sometimes, the odd time you need to push up the magazine to chamber the bullet. (this happens on both guns and i new this before buying mine)
    As regards the trigger, im not fussy and i can still shoot good groups with it. I never used a trigger that i found any better. I dont notice these things. I fired a cz hmr a few times and didnt notice a difference.

If weight bothers you go for the v, other than that there's not much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

All new models of Marlin .17hmrs come with a Pro-fire adjustable trigger. Pull weight can be set between 3 and 6 pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Had the v, loved it. Second what garv said bout the mags but i never had this prob with the 4 shot mag so just used that! Very accurate gun out of the box, really cant go wrong for the price, they are cheap as chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kellzar

cheers lads. think ill o ahead with it. does a mod make much of a reduction to a .17hmr? im guessing it will be as loud as a .22lr firing hv or even lounder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

It will be louder, quite a bit louder

It will be louder, quite a bit louder

Is it worth getting the gun threaded for it?

Ive never heard a hmr moderated but one of the lads got a mod for his .243 and i couldnt believe the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

garv123 wrote: »
    Is it worth getting the gun threaded for it?

Ive never heard a hmr moderated but one of the lads got a mod for his .243 and i couldnt believe the difference.

Yeah it's defiantly worth getting one,
    I had a Sak on my cz 17 hmr and there was a big difference but you will still hear the Crack from the round as it breaks the sound barrier.
    I also used a Parker Hale which I personally didn't rate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

@ Vote 4 Pedro any chance of a video of normal and moderated or if you've a smart phone download a free decibel meter app to compare as I've a Hmr and can't decide if I will get my rifle threaded or not

If anyone can do the above id like to see the results too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Had a 917vs. great rifle very accurate just didnt suit me so i sold it

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I tried my mates vsf marlin hmr a few times and found very good, but wasn't too keen on the trigger. After buying a cz455 thumbhole hmr I can safely say, in my mind anyway(scary place! ) that I made the right choice. The 455 is a hell of a lot of firearm for the money and the thumbhole is even nicer to shoot. 3/4 inch groups @ 125 yards no problem:D 12 bunnies in 14 shots between 75 and 160 yards the other morning! All bar one were head shots:D With a bit of wind too.
    As for the mod,I think it's worth it. I found a noticeable difference. Go with the SAK and you'll be sorted. Parker-hale I found to be ****e. Good luck regardless which you choose and happy hunting.
    LR

Advertisement