Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balancing Using Free Arm on Banks.

Options
  • 15-01-2012 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question……

When going down steep banks or jumping drains, I tend to use one arm to 'balance'. Particularly if taking a sharp turn afterwards. It feels natural to me. However, somebody out riding with me recently told me that I shouldn't be doing that - I should keep both hands on the reins.

Is there a right or wrong way or is it just a case of whatever works and feels right? Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

just do whatever feels right I think. I wouldnt mind people telling you what to do as such. Its hard enough to stay balanced over a big drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'd say it depends on what you're on...
    If you can trust your horse not to do anything silly while your balancing, and you think you might end up on the ground or pulling the mouth off your horse then by all means balance! If your horse is likely to do something silly while you're finding your reins, I'd keep hands on the reins!
    Obviously having your reins is better for the unexpected situations that tend to occasionally crop up, but if you generally trust your horse to sort itself out then a couple of seconds with one hand on the reins probably won't be catastrophic and is better then yanking your horse in the mouth or falling off every time you go over a drain!

Advertisement