Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Poo Problem

• 15-01-2012 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have 3 dogs and possible getting another as one is old and i'd like to get a pup to train with the help of the older dog....anyhow..

Is it possible to get all my dogs toileting in the same area of the garden.

We have the room for it. About 6 weeks ago they started pooping on the gravel at the back of the house which they never did, it was always down the garden. The upper garden is like a poo trap and despite cleaning it up I always feel like i'm still stepping in it.

I love my dogs but I want the garden to be somewhere I can bring people without the embarassment of stepping in dog waste. I also don't want it being dragged into the house.

With 2 large breeds, gsd and rotti, and the smaller jrt, there's a llot of cleaning to do.

Also, I was told they shouldn't share water bowls as this can give them worms....is this true. I keep them up to date with vaccines and worm/flea doses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

You can train definately your dogs to go i the same area but the easiest way is to first train them to go to the toilet on "command" (i.e to a word) and then almost re house train them on lead to the area you wish them to go in, praise and treat etc. You'll be able to phase out lead/treats in time.

Its easier if you have a sort of boundary where you want them to go, and obviously you need to keep up with the cleaning so they have space to go in the area. It is possible but will take time and with three it will take a little longer.

As for the water bowl....I've never heard of this to be a worm danger problem. If you are keeping up with worming treatments I wouldn't worry about this at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I agree, I put my dog in the area of the garden I want her to poop in, and tell her to "go poo poo" some people use potty or toilet, the word isn't important, as long as not many people would say it normally in conversation.

When she goes, She is a "good girl" and gets a treat for being so clever, a couple of times she used the flower bed and the patio area. Bad girl, no treat.

The more fun and exciting you can make training the better, even going to the toilet can be a game they can win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

cool, thanks. it's gonna take a while. I probably have to teach them separately as well. Just managed to stop one of them scratching the back door so they're clever enough.

Advertisement