Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (HONS) IN FIRE SAFETY ENGINEERING LYIT

Options
  • 15-01-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey..

would Appreciate if someone could give me an insight to this course, gaining entry to course with an ordinary degree, Lecturers, hours, project, report, Job prospects, is it hard to get a good average to get onto a postgrad from this course?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'd say you need something around a 60% mark from your ordinary degree, not too sure on the exact requirements, you'd have to ask the college on that

Lecturers are pretty good, the two main lecturers both know their stuff, are happy to help and easy approach, the other two could have been a bit better but can't really complain. Be warned though that the first semester is very intensive so you need to be prepared to work. You have a 10,000 word project to do on whatever you want (as long as its related to fire safety obviously), a lab to write up every week (~2000 words) and 4 subjects with assignments throughout the semester. About 20 hours of class but probably the same amount again to get your work done especially in the last few weeks.

I've only got one semester done so far so can't tell you anything about the second one or work prospects etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Dalmighty wrote: »
    Hey..

would Appreciate if someone could give me an insight to this course, gaining entry to course with an ordinary degree, Lecturers, hours, project, report, Job prospects, is it hard to get a good average to get onto a postgrad from this course?
    Thanks

What course are you coming from? I'm in construction 3rd year in LYIT and we were told (By head of dept) that roughly the GPA's needed for last couple of years were

Construction & Fire = 50% (First dibs on any places)
    Architectural Tech = 55%
    Building Services = 60%

There are 15 students in my year this year and I think about 12 are going to be applying for the Hons Degree.

Harps wrote: »
    a lab to write up every week (~2000 words)
    :eek:

Who is that with Harps?

Paddy Lennon or Rory McShane, not as bad as it sounds to be honest. The first few weeks are bad cause you don't have much of a clue what sort of standard they're expecting but once you get used to the format its easy enough to write them up. Its a full subject in itself so as long as you do them all to a reasonable standard you're pretty much guaranteed a pass and I think most people get over 60% so its a good way to up your average.

Very few assignments in the first half of the semester either so you only really have labs & the project to worry about.

Ah that's ok then , we had Paddy and Rory this year so know what they look for in labs and assignments. How did you get on with yer exams this year? Were they a big jump up ya?

• Advertisement

Only 3 exams and spread over 2 weeks so plenty of time to study for a change, Quantitative Risk Analysis I found really easy but then I did civil before and we'd already covered most of the course. The other two were quite tough though yeah, huge amount of stuff to look over and the massive amount of formulas in fire dynamics was a bit overwhelming. As always though if you're willing to do enough work you should do fine, haven't got results yet obviously but I'm pretty sure I did enough to pass everything

Ah not too bad so. good luck with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Eye of Orion

I did that degree 2 years ago, came from a civil background from the IT aswell along with 2 other Civil guys I knew. The rest were construction, and one or 2 construction managment guys.

It is tight going alright, but do the work and keep ahead and you will be fine. The QRA was easy enough after doing mathematics in Civil, where the construction guys struggled, but then we struggled in a sense in other parts of the course that the construction lads did well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 r4ncher

Any of you guys got the timetable ?, also would it be beneficial to get someones notes that has done the course, really want to get a good grade, as you know u need a 2.1 or better to get to the top of the pile nowadays...

Also looking to move up there, am 27 and not really up for the partying anymore, looking somewhere cheap and close to college that won't be bouncing every night !!!

any info would be great... cheers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What's the job opportunities like after completing this course can anybody tell me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 r4ncher

Hi Panthro,

I have just completed this course with a 2.2 and have been applying for jobs. I have a couple of offers in the UK and middle east, and one company in australia seems to be interested too. There seems to be less opportunity in Ireland, one of the lecturers said a couple of guys who completed last year are working in new zealand also.

I also noticed when applying alot of the bigger companies are looking for masters qualified graduates ARUP, Mott Mac Donald etc, so i have decided to the masters in UU Jordanstown.

I would advise trying to get a 2.1 in the course and not spend to much time on labs & assignments, I was spending loads of time trying to get 70-80% in labs etc. if you get 60% and spend the rest of your time on your project and doing pastpapers, you will get a higher average.

Advertisement