Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mis-sold a package

Options
  • 15-01-2012 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm presently with eircom on a 24mb uncontested unlimited package. Since christmas my speeds have been terrible with constant drops. An engineer was out on Friday, I was in work but he called me to say it was not possible for me to ever get 24mb, that my line wasn't capable of carrying it, 10 would be the best I could hope for.
    When I originally signed up, they said I could get it, but the engineer said there was no way in hell, I was to far from the exchange, I could never get it.
    So I'll be ringing eircom tomorrow, once the accounts dept is open. What are my chances of getting a refund for the past 8 months of paying for something they could never provide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Before you ring check all the advertising etc for the offer and make sure those two little words " up to" aren't before the 24mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Before you ring check all the advertising etc for the offer and make sure those two little words " up to" aren't before the 24mb

Of course it said up to :D They always say that. But that's a theoretical max. Whereas the theoretical max for my line is 10mb, hence mis-sold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

With most ISPs you need to be on an "up to 24mb" package to get speeds above 8mb. 10mb in this case is not "mis-sold"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Of course it said up to :D They always say that. But that's a theoretical max. Whereas the theoretical max for my line is 10mb, hence mis-sold

Sorry, but 10mbit is up to 24mbit.

The most anyone will get on up to 24mbit is about 22mbit, living next door to the exchange, it soon drops over distance. This chart shows the rate the modem could sync at, the speed obtained would be about 85% of that
    internode-adsl2-distance1.jpg

Post your line stats and we'll tell what your line is capable of

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Post your line stats and we'll tell what your line is capable of

How do I get my line stats?

I've just run a couple of speed tests with all other boxes off (The reason I've always ignored slow speeds is I have a bunch of always on boxes, which run big downloads, 60gig this month so far).
    I got 6.63 down and .56 up

The package I'm on is this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm presuming it's the Netopia modem. Login to your modem on 192.168.1.254, enter expert mode, copy and paste the Dsl stats to your next post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to eircom forum.

You were not miss-sold anything, as all broadband is sold as "up to", without ever a guarantee of getting the maximum speed quoted. With DSL in particular, it is impossible to guarantee the max speed on all lines, as the technology is line length dependent. You will always get the max that your line can support, and nothing more.

You haven't a hope of getting a refund for the last 8 months, as the only way to get the speed you were getting was to be on that package.

Hi, sorry about the delay in getting back, But my folks turned up unexpectedly then I had to go collect the kids .....

So My stats (Not Netopia, using a Zyxel Prestige 600 modem) ...
    6703380123_0e86976242.jpg[/url]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sorry we mean line stats not data stats.

I don't believe 10mbits on an 'up to' 24mbit is a mis sell but a 7mbit deliverable on an up to 24mbit package would be a mis sell if you could get a cheaper 'up to' 8mbit package delivering 7mbits.

Having said that anything below 10mbits would be a mis sell if you were not given the choice of a similar but significantly cheaper 'up to' 8mbit package.

eircom used to require a minimum deliverable 12mbits on an up to 24mbit package but I consider 10mbits to be sufficient clear blue water to let eircom off the hook on this one.

Advertisement