Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 licensing questions

Options
  • 15-01-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hello lads i've recently invested in a steyr mannlicher pro hunter 243 and im being told conflicting ways on obtaining my licence, i have or had a 22 magnum which is traded now, my question is will i have to pay the full licence fee from scratch or can i do a transfer, also im a member of a shooting club with no range so do i still need permission from 3 land owners, im sure a substitution wont work as its a big step up in calibre. any help would be sound!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pep73

apologies lads for just bursting in with a load of q's just a bit of a head melt at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You need a valid reason to get a firearms license so a reasonable questions is, what do you want the .243 for? Deer?
    Well if it's for deer you'll have a deer license and specific permission on some land to hunt deer.

veg- yeah its for deer alright im just upgrading as i think im ready to get into deer hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Pep73 wrote: »
    veg- yeah its for deer alright im just upgrading as i think im ready to get into deer hunting!

You'll need to get a deer licence first and then send that in with your application
    But to get the deer licence you need a deposit on a gun and get the serial number off it and caliber, which i presume you have.

For the deer licence you'll need permission off farmers, 3 seems to be the norm with a decent number of acreage, again the more the better. They may send out someone to check the amount of deer present. Dont know anyone who had this happen to them though.

Im not sure can you get the licence at any time of the year? :confused: someone may answer that for you. But theres 6 weeks left of the season now so I'd try get the deer licence now so you can get the rife sooner and practice during the summer on foxes.

sound garv, ta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

garv123 wrote: »
    You'll need to get a deer licence first and then send that in with your application
    But to get the deer licence you need a deposit on a gun and get the serial number off it and caliber, which i presume you have.

For the deer licence you'll need permission off farmers, 3 seems to be the norm with a decent number of acreage, again the more the better. They may send out someone to check the amount of deer present. Dont know anyone who had this happen to them though.

Im not sure can you get the licence at any time of the year? :confused: someone may answer that for you. But theres 6 weeks left of the season now so I'd try get the deer licence now so you can get the rife sooner and practice during the summer on foxes.
    I'd agree mostly however,
    Just in case OP yo think you NEED 3 Farmers it is not necessary, 1 farmer with a decent amount of deer on there land is just as good.
    However, if you have a lot of small farmers in one area that you shoot on then no harm to send them in. ( I know a guy who used to send in a load of new permissions every year and the girl said that there was no need as it just slowed things down)
    I personally only send in one for handiness as when you get a licence you can shoot anywhere with permission.

I got my first deer licence I think if memory serves me when the season was over or almost over, I just then had to renew the following year but some do it that way to have the Rifle in the off season to practice and get familiar with.
    If you applied today you might have it back for the last week of the season, you would probably have the form in your hand a week too late though. (unless Farmers require you as a nominated stalker on Section 42's)

.243 is a great calibre, you will not be disappointed.
    Best of luck and hope to see pics of your First Deer soon ;)

garv123 wrote: »

I'd agree mostly however,
    Just in case OP yo think you NEED 3 Farmers it is not necessary, 1 farmer with a decent amount of deer on there land is just as good.
    However, if you have a lot of small farmers in one area that you shoot on then no harm to send them in. ( I know a guy who used to send in a load of new permissions every year and the girl said that there was no need as it just slowed things down)
    I personally only send in one for handiness as when you get a licence you can shoot anywhere with permission.

I got my first deer licence I think if memory serves me when the season was over or almost over, I just then had to renew the following year but some do it that way to have the Rifle in the off season to practice and get familiar with.
    If you applied today you might have it back for the last week of the season, you would probably have the form in your hand a week too late though. (unless Farmers require you as a nominated stalker on Section 42's)

.243 is a great calibre, you will not be disappointed.
    Best of luck and hope to see pics of your First Deer soon ;)
    Fair play tack I plan to hone the skills on a few madra Rua in prep for next year. Pics to follow ......... ðŸ˜႒

Advertisement