Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Expiry question

Options
  • 15-01-2012 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My car is over 20 months out of NCT. (May 2010) It's also more than ten years old so it's supposed to be tested annually. If I get it tested now, what expiry will be on the cert???? It's twenty months overdue so technically the new cert will have expired before it is issued!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

My car is over 20 months out of NCT. (May 2010) It's also more than ten years old so it's supposed to be tested annually. If I get it tested now, what expiry will be on the cert???? It's twenty months overdue so technically the new cert will have expired before it is issued!!!
    The answers in the question m8 ur bang on..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Happened me mate with it 11 months over due. When i did the NCT they said they could only give me one month and to book in for another one in a month. I argued with them and rang head office. Told them the car was off the road for a year and they just wiped the 11 months off and started clean.

Just argue with them. You will get somewhere......Its a pure money racket

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crossy wrote: »
    Its a pure money racket

Post number 3 . Well done lads, you're getting quicker all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theotherguy

Will they test it once and charge me twice, to get me back ahead or test me, give me an expired cert and make me book a second test? Surely that's a load of b****x?

Surely that's a load of b****x?

I would love to know if they did try that on. keep us posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

crossy wrote: »
    Happened me mate with it 11 months over due. When i did the NCT they said they could only give me one month and to book in for another one in a month. I argued with them and rang head office. Told them the car was off the road for a year and they just wiped the 11 months off and started clean.

Just argue with them. You will get somewhere......Its a pure money racket
    This is complete nonsense. The NCT can be done three months early, six months early for a first test.

@OP - You can do the test now and get a cert to May 12, or wait until three months before the cars date of first reg and get a cert until May 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Anan1 wrote: »
    This is complete nonsense. The NCT can be done three months early, six months early for a first test.

@OP - You can do the test now and get a cert to May 12, or wait until three months before the cars date of first reg and get a cert until May 13.

Im telling you its not nonsence. I had serious bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

That's very silly, if a car passes the test now then it is roadworthy. I thought the NCT was a good idea, but that just looks like their trying to suck as much money out of us as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    That's very silly, if a car passes the test now then it is roadworthy. I thought the NCT was a good idea, but that just looks like their trying to suck as much money out of us as possible.

If you NCT it on time then you get full certs. Thats the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

wait 4 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Post number 3 . Well done lads, you're getting quicker all the time.
    It's true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

this is a good question, i have a similar problem with my wifes car we just brought. NCT is due march 2012, but its been off the road (Well it was supposed to have been off the road, as owner moved abroad), do we wait until after the march date to get it tested or can it be done now. the car is a 2004 reg. NCT would be 22 months out of date now (Over due)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

If you NCT it on time then you get full certs. Thats the idea[/QUOT
    Yes go around prospective cars you might buy next year and pay to have them nct'd so if you do buy them you wont feel like you are getting screwed by nct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tobey1

my car was off the road for 3 years and the nct for up for the 3 years so when i got it tested it went to the second term of the 2 years so i only got the nct cert for one year and then had to retest it again after a year. i agree this is only a money racket as i had to do a retest and as i thought they can only retest what was wrong 1st day but they retested the whole car and failed me again so they wanted me to again pay the 50 euro for another whole retest but i fought with them about it and i was allowed get the mirror fixed and bring it back within a week i got a loan of one and got the cert the next day guy new it wasn't mine but had to give me the cert was not very happy about it but if they play dirty so can you :)

snaps wrote: »
    this is a good question, i have a similar problem with my wifes car we just brought. NCT is due march 2012, but its been off the road (Well it was supposed to have been off the road, as owner moved abroad), do we wait until after the march date to get it tested or can it be done now. the car is a 2004 reg. NCT would be 22 months out of date now (Over due)

So i really need to wait until after the anniversary date of 2nd march 2012 to get it done so i get the full 2 years nct?

So i really need to wait until after the anniversary date of 2nd march 2012 to get it done so i get the full 2 years nct?
    No. As per my post #7, you can do the test up to 3 months early.

No. As per my post #7, you can do the test up to 3 months early.

But another guy on here said when he took his car that had no nct on (It had been off the road and missed a test) he was offered a certificate for 1 month!!!!!!

But another guy on here said when he took his car that had no nct on (It had been off the road and missed a test) he was offered a certificate for 1 month!!!!!!
    Like I said, that's nonsense: http://www.ncts.ie/bookings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I m not sure how it can be called nonsence. Its just a more extreme case of what happened me on my return from Australia. The NCT had expired 6 months before I got back. I made it roadworthy and got it passed and I only got 18 months instead of 24. Often considered the scenario if I d stayed in Oz another year. Money-making? You better believe it. Even the taxman gives you a break if your car was off road but theres no facility for this, beyond the rather vague 'argue with them' facility.

darlett wrote: »
    I m not sure how it can be called nonsence. Its just a more extreme case of what happened me on my return from Australia. The NCT had expired 6 months before I got back. I made it roadworthy and got it passed and I only got 18 months instead of 24.
    FFS lads, this is not rocket science. You can do your test up to 3 months early - six months for a first test. It's all there on the NCT website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

FFS lads, this is not rocket science. You can do your test up to 3 months early - six months for a first test. It's all there on the NCT website.

I admit to being a little non understanding in my understanding. As my car was in the 2 year cycle at that stage, are you advising that I would wait 15 months until I was with 3 months of my next NCT date? Which would be impossible for tax and insurance purposes surely.

Im genuinely not sure if ive grasped it wrongly so bear with me there.

darlett wrote: »
    I admit to being a little non understanding in my understanding. As my car was in the 2 year cycle at that stage, are you advising that I would wait 15 months until I was with 3 months of my next NCT date? Which would be impossible for tax and insurance purposes surely.

Im genuinely not sure if ive grasped it wrongly so bear with me there.
    No, you needed to do the test when you came back and then again 18 months later. Crossy's mate, on the other hand, could have done the test a month early, which is why his claim that they wanted him to do two NCTs a month apart is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does this concession only apply where there is a current cert in force?

Advertisement