Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old trailer refurb - how to approach?

• 15-01-2012 2:31pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33

I am hoping to do up an old tipping trailer. I can weld and would like to gain experience in such a project. Can I get some advice?

Cost of materials? Estimate sale price? Is this worth doing?

I think the tyres/axle may be of an old type and I may be better off getting a newer one if the typres are punchured/cracked.

CURRENTLY
    Age - 37 years old.
    Tipping trailer. Ram is good
    Dimensions - 8 foot x 6 foot.
    Metal sides and base need replacing.
    Supporting frame (box iron) may replace all or half of it.
    Axle is old. Tyres are 760 F16? Cost of new axle with tyres?
    Tyres are old and may/may not be ok.

OBJECTIVE
    Refurb and sell.
    Wooden sides and metal base.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

sell it as it is. you will find it hard to make a profit i would think. timber is dear if your getting proper stuff. metal is dear. they can eat up money and you would even realise it. not and bolts alone could be anywhere up to a €100. I know because i did one up and was sorry. I put on second hand tyres which were 9% costing 480 alone. my floor, axle and metal parts were fine though. By time I finished id say I had the bones of €1700 put in. Granted mine was a lot bigger and was a silage trailer. I also had to put in a new ram which was €280+ another €40 for the hose. it sucked up paint like tomorrow aswell. that was another €100 by time undercoat and a few overcoats were applied. then the jigsaw broke so a new makita one was €80. it all adds up. + add in your labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I did up a 10 x 6 last year. I bought it second hand for €200.
    The sides and floor were pracitcally rotten. The supports and other steel work was pretty good.
    3 good Michelin tyres and one not great. It turns out they are the same tyre size as front Massey 35 road tyreor Landrover (I think) so not too dear.

I am handy with the tools like yourself.
    I bought 4mm 12 x 6 plate mild steel for the floor, front and back, 3mm for the sides. 4mm might seem heavy, but it will last and will take weight.
    Some channel for some of the frame to add strenght if needed.
    Box iron to make the sides. Came to about €450

Add in Welding Rods, electricity, Grinder disks, grinder brushes, primer and paint and it all came to about €750 in total. Including a new tipper hose as I couldn't trust the old one.

It took two weeks of hard work and I have a grand trailer for my own use now. If I was to sell it I don't know what I would be looking for.

I wouldn't have bought a patched up trailer that would only last a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Who are you expecting to buy a trailer that size? What would a potential owner use it for?

I'd agree with German rocks. Sell as is. Let the new owner decide what they want to do with it. Sell it for scrap or maybe some country townie with time on his hands and a fat wallet might buy it for the annual pilgrimage to the bog.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 33 cowmilk

Muckit wrote: »
    Who are you expecting to buy a trailer that size? What would a potential owner use it for?

I'd agree with German rocks. Sell as is. Let the new owner decide what they want to do with it. Sell it for scrap or maybe some country townie with time on his hands and a fat wallet might buy it for the annual pilgrimage to the bog.

Think I might advertise as is to begin with. But I will probably still construct it. Any advice on tyres and axle? Should I just get a newer axle with newer wheels or just use what I have?

If you have to replace the axle then it's probably not worth doing, if the axle is dodgy then it's time is up.

Last think you want is an axle going under a load out on the road,, with the law called and then looking at your tyres! That is a handy size trailer to have around, but decide if you will need it around and then price the cost to do it up. New trailers are pricey.

Have a look at donedeal

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/trailers/2709360

timber floor and single wheels. But a great price all the same.

cowmilk wrote: »
    Think I might advertise as is to begin with. But I will probably still construct it. Any advice on tyres and axle? Should I just get a newer axle with newer wheels or just use what I have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

aye, 8x6 is very small.

you're pretty much talking about building a new trailer there, and for that size you'll end up spending a share of money for a trailer that will have a very limited market.

I'd love one that size myself, would be handy behind the 20, but I've a million and one projects on the go already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

yeh, 8 by 6 is pretty small, would do for turf or landscaper tho. forget about changing the axle, way too pricey. its interesting work tho, something to do on a rainy day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Think I might advertise as is to begin with

You've the right idea there. Money you get, no matter how small, goes straight into your wallet. It can be spent on something useful for yourself.

Your not tripping over it and it's not annoying your head then either everytime you go out the yard ;)

Remember, the right decision isn't always the easiest one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

I tidied up my 10 by 6 last yr, all tyres were good, all steel was good, got good larch timber, treated with burnt oil;), between all the wee bits and pieces bolts discs primer paint etc in all it ended up costing near 700 euro, but will last a lifetime now,
    If your lookin for an axle for a small trailer like that a twin wheel transit axle would do fine 1
    Personally sell it as it is you mite get a good enough price to scrap it !

Ford4000 wrote: »
    I tidied up my 10 by 6 last yr, all tyres were good, all steel was good, got good larch timber, treated with burnt oil;), between all the wee bits and pieces bolts discs primer paint etc in all it ended up costing near 700 euro, but will last a lifetime now,
    If your lookin for an axle for a small trailer like that a twin wheel transit axle would do fine 1
    Personally sell it as it is you mite get a good enough price to scrap it !

What scrap value could I expect? Consists of twin wheel axle (35 years old). Chasis is fine and box iron on top is a bit rusted (20%). Is it worth the bother? Or is the fact I am asking an indication that I may gain more by experience working on it than the actual doe I earn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Is it worth the bother? Or is the fact I am asking an indication that I may gain more by experience working on it than the actual doe I earn

Yep you will be wiser when through good luck.
    attie

My guess, is that it's about a ton weight... scrap value about €200.

If you do it you will have spent good money, but unlikely to make a profit. If you want a project to work on, then it's a good one...bad welding can be hidden!

Stick up a photo.

Great advice. Thinking I will still proceed with a cautious approach. It would give me great confidence at welding to do it. I will post photos as soon as I can. Any other advice welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Great advice. Thinking I will still proceed with a cautious approach. It would give me great confidence at welding to do it. I will post photos as soon as I can. Any other advice welcome!

If you want practice a welding, spend €20 on some small pieces of scrap steel of different thicnkesses and start welding them together. Then look at attacking the trailer!

Advertisement