Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

back tax question???

Options
  • 15-01-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

hey just wondering if anyone can help, my brother went to australia a couple of months ago and left his car here , it is out of tax since the end of june, now i sold my car and am looking to drive his for a couple of weeks, so anyway just wondering if i change owneership to my name does that clear the back tax.. or does it have to be a different address
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sjoyce87 wrote: »
    hey just wondering if anyone can help, my brother went to australia a couple of months ago and left his car here , it is out of tax since the end of june, now i sold my car and am looking to drive his for a couple of weeks, so anyway just wondering if i change owneership to my name does that clear the back tax.. or does it have to be a different address

You only have to pay the tax from the start of the month when you become the registered owner. Being related will not change this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Bring a tax form into the Guards and get it stamped to declare it was off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

ah that is ok, thanks and does it make a difference with address or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RickRoll wrote: »
    Bring a tax form into the Guards and get it stamped to declare it was off the road.

He doesn't need to as the car is changing ownership.
    sjoyce87 wrote: »
    ah that is ok, thanks and does it make a difference with address or anything

Don't see how it would as you and your brother are not the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't go to the gardai as you are not the current owner and not responsible for back tax. When you are the owner you can tax it from that date on in the normal way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

ok thanks, but just wasnt sure with 2 people living at the same address .. but hey ho that doesnt matter now, thanks for the help

Advertisement