Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with a wierd algae that ruined my tank

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

just rinse it a good few times, when the smell of bleach is totally gone you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

put the rocks in the sink and cover with boiling water if you're not sure about the bleach. Should work a treat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Phil dublin

cheers lads , thanks for all the advice!! really appreciate it.
    lovely bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

wow, tbh id never use bleach or milton or anything like that on rocks/wood for an aquarium.
    Unless there are no traces left afterwards, surely there could be consequences for your tank. Bleach has toxins, milton sterilises.

If I ever have a rock that has gone a bit manky i just leave it out in the rain for a couple of weeks, little scrub with an abrasive if needs be....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're going to go with the milton, drop the wood in boiling water afterwards, the heat of the water should dissipate any traces of the bleach (method used for home brew, assuming food-safe = fish safe).

Another idea: if you planted the tank, the plants would compete with the algae for nutrients and should slow it's growth.

• Advertisement

fungun wrote: »
    wow, tbh id never use bleach or milton or anything like that on rocks/wood for an aquarium.
    Unless there are no traces left afterwards, surely there could be consequences for your tank. Bleach has toxins, milton sterilises.

If I ever have a rock that has gone a bit manky i just leave it out in the rain for a couple of weeks, little scrub with an abrasive if needs be....

im not a fan of th iea of bleach either. but ill take a new photo of my tank later adn ull see why, its grown a lot since yesterday.

im going to clean and steam the wood first. and if its still alive ill look in to the bleach. id prob go with the milton myself, as its safe for babies!

but i guess ill be doing a bit of googling before i attemp either.

Sleepy wrote: »
    If you're going to go with the milton, drop the wood in boiling water afterwards, the heat of the water should dissipate any traces of the bleach (method used for home brew, assuming food-safe = fish safe).

Another idea: if you planted the tank, the plants would compete with the algae for nutrients and should slow it's growth.

my 4 ft tank was heavly planted. poeple have often said it looked more like an underwater garden, this stuff took over the entire tank, with hair like treads that just got everywhere and i have to remove all the plants to get the algae out. the bog wood its self was outa the tank in left in the back garden for 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's perfectly fine to use diluted bleach. Obviously make sure it's thoroughly washed off before putting back into the tank. Bleach will kill off the algae.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

id prob go with the milton myself, as its safe for babies!

Milton is safe for babies because it sterilises things - the last thing you want is to sterilise your tank - you actually need all that bacteria!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

ok, so 5:1, but then how do i make sure the wood is clean and free from the bleac before i replace it in the tank.

i think i remember an old friend of my dads sayn somethign about cleaning the rocks in his tank with bleach years ago.

The poster said a 5% solution, so that's 20:1, not 5:1 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had similar algae in my BiUbe and getting some Nerite snails in there before it got bad seemed to get rid of almost all of it. I still had a little growing from the top of the bubble tube and some dwarf gouramis took care of that little bit and I've had no problems since. It really is amazing how fast it grows; you can almost see it.

kylith wrote: »
    I had similar algae in my BiUbe and getting some Nerite snails in there before it got bad seemed to get rid of almost all of it. I still had a little growing from the top of the bubble tube and some dwarf gouramis took care of that little bit and I've had no problems since. It really is amazing how fast it grows; you can almost see it.

its a pain in the arse.

i left the lights of last night and its seemed to have some sort of effect.

i left the lights of last night, untill now at 3.30 today.

added some photos, algae seems to have thinned out a bit.

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

algae's more or less gone, left the lights of for the last to days.

thanks lads.

Advertisement