Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Royal 'renovations'

• 15-01-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

I recently came across this Facebook page for the Theatre Royal https://www.facebook.com/limerickroyal

Between the text, looking at the plans and some local enquiries, it seems they're taking out the stage. I'm all in favour of the proposed 3 cinemas, the only ones in Limerick city centre in fact, but I am thoroughly disappointed they're removing the last surviving legacy stage in the entire city.

With the exception of the excellent Dolans on the Dock Road, (The Belltable is only an occasional music venue and barely at that) there isn't a single live music venue in the centre. Disgraceful?

I'll leave the lofty claims of 'world class venue' and all the other poorly written jargon for another post.

Keep Music Live!!

g

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

When was the last time the Royal hosted a live event?

It's hardly "keeping music live" if a stage hasn't supported an act in years and years...

I'd be in favour of having a cinema in town again, even with the new one coming soon at the Jetland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Afaik, it's just in too bad shape to hold gigs atm.

I'm quite excited by what could be built there, there's no point looking back, imo. Odds are all the big gigs, should they come, will go to the milk market now. Any indoor gigs would be catered for by UL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Promoters ran this venue very successfully, in spite of the place being gutted by fire shortly after they renovated it it. Rent and other terms were what closed it, not demand.

The Milk Market is an occasional venue only, suited to 'soft' ticket events, for a limited number of events per year. Promoted and produced by Dolans, it should be noted.

As for UL, it's wholy unsuited to most forms of music due to it's 'classical' acoustics, bright surrounds, and the cost of bringing in production.

A 300-500 comfortable seated venue in The Royal would be just the thing Limerick needs.

A venue and cinemas need not be mutually exclusive. I have worked in numerous examples all over the world. Since there is money being spent now on the renovation of this beautiful and historically important theatre, surely now is the time to do it right.

g

godfrey wrote: »
    Promoters ran this venue very successfully, in spite of the place being gutted by fire shortly after they renovated it it. Rent and other terms were what closed it, not demand.

The Milk Market is an occasional venue only, suited to 'soft' ticket events, for a limited number of events per year. Promoted and produced by Dolans, it should be noted.

As for UL, it's wholy unsuited to most forms of music due to it's 'classical' acoustics, bright surrounds, and the cost of bringing in production.

A 300-500 comfortable seated venue in The Royal would be just the thing Limerick needs.

A venue and cinemas need not be mutually exclusive. I have worked in numerous examples all over the world. Since there is money being spent now on the renovation of this beautiful and historically important theatre, surely now is the time to do it right.

g

There's loads of things limerick needs, including a project like this one though. I'd balance it and say we don't know the limitations of the new theatre yet. Are you certain it can't be used for gigs?

Are you certain it can't be used for gigs?

Have a look at the plans here: Architects drawings. 2 small cinemas stacked on top of one another in the space where the stage used to be. The 3rd and largest cinema is using the existing balcony seating with the screen located where the front of the balcony rail was.

Also a friend of mine has some inside track and told me 2 days ago the stage is being pulled out.

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Does Limerick really need that and in the city centre? I think dolans pretty much meets the demands for live gigs around that size, maybe a little smaller. There's only so many bands coming through the country that need something like that and people don't exactly go out of their way to make it to gigs anymore either to draw a decent crowd. I doubt another venue in the city would really make much impact other than split the crowd on busier nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mabroc

Why take out the very heart of the building and eliminate the possibility to house more than just a media centre or cinema? It is still perfect and would not only allow the showing of films but also theatre and live music. It makes on sense to rip out the heart of this beautiful building.
    Most of the gems of architecture that once stood in Limerick City have been demolished by the greedy hand of progress. Its only right that we preserve what we have left, and work toward the future using some innovative thinking instead of just ripping out the perfectly good old to make way for the new.

Have a look at the plans here: Architects drawings. 2 small cinemas stacked on top of one another in the space where the stage used to be. The 3rd and largest cinema is using the existing balcony seating with the screen located where the front of the balcony rail was.

Also a friend of mine has some inside track and told me 2 days ago the stage is being pulled out.

g

I can't make out much from those drawings tbh, you'll have to give me actual figures etc.

Mabroc wrote: »
    Why take out the very heart of the building and eliminate the possibility to house more than just a media centre or cinema? It is still perfect and would not only allow the showing of films but also theatre and live music. It makes on sense to rip out the heart of this beautiful building.
    Most of the gems of architecture that once stood in Limerick City have been demolished by the greedy hand of progress. Its only right that we preserve what we have left, and work toward the future using some innovative thinking instead of just ripping out the perfectly good old to make way for the new.

Is it perfectly good old though? Afaik, it's a tip inside.

That's the whole point of this thread. Money is now being spent to do it up...

g

• Advertisement

That's the whole point of this thread. Money is now being spent to do it up...

g

Meh, I just don't see it. I think we need the proposed hub more, tbh.

I've been inside the building a couple of times in the last year and while its not perfect, its certainly not a tip. Just because its old doesnt mean its no good. I think it shows a huge lack of vision to want to pull the stage down without regard for the possibilities that it holds. I also think that considering the losses that Limerick has seen in terms of historical buildings etc; people are within their rights to approach the owners and ask them to rethink their plans. Why was the old Savoy torn down? it was beautiful

Meh, I just don't see it. I think we need the proposed hub more, tbh.

There are numerous 'hubs', media colleges etc., all satisfying political drives to fulfill certain popular mandates and election promises, but churning out people with no actual skills and meaningless accreditation. I get resumes from these very students regularly.

Removing the last stage in town is a seperate issue, and the one I'd like to address. Removal of ANY facility is a negative ambition.

g

There are numerous 'hubs', media colleges etc., all satisfying political drives to fulfill certain popular mandates and election promises, but churning out people with no actual skills and meaningless accreditation. I get resumes from these very students regularly.

Removing the last stage in town is a seperate issue, and the one I'd like to address. Removal of ANY facility is a negative ambition.

g

It's a removal of one facility that hasn't been used regularly in 15 or so years to provide another.

If there was market for what you are suggesting, some one would have paid the rent or provided a comparable alternative in the last decade surely?

Anyhow, do these alterations require planning permission? Make you points to the developers via that, imo.

Googled it there, you can object in Feb. I think we've been waiting for an Arthouse cinema in Limerick for ages though.

Royal all set for movies and media training
    by Marie Hobbins
    MONDAY, 12 DECEMBER 2011 10:44
    A planning application will be submitted to City Hall in February for the development of a digital cinema and media training hub in the former Royal Cinema on Upper Cecil Street. The city’s senior planning officer, Kieran Reeves, is “very happy to-date with the project” which requires a budget of €5.3million. With full backing from the city manager, Tom Mackey, it is understood that finance is earmarked. Paul Patton, CEO of City of Limerick VEC, who last year explored the potential of refurbishing the Royal as a modern digital cinema and media training facility, had a full-scale feasibility study confirm the viability of the project.
    “It will be a world class venue for mainstream, independent and classic movies, media training and a forum for a new generation of media professionals,” said Mr Patton
    The cinema will have three screens, with a fourth for retractable screening, which can be used for media training.
    “The new Royal will also provide training or a new generation of film, television and web content creators and will be a forum for talks, debates and literary events and a space for painting, sculpture and photography exhibitions”.
    Mr Patton emphasised that by using a not-for-profit management company, the royal will generate surplus income through programming the best in mainstream, cultural, classic, national and international films: operating a cafe and bar, offering digital lounge hire, auditorium rental and the rental of training facilities and equipment.
    “Surplus income will be used to fund makers of short films and trainee film makers”.
    The actor, director and comedian, Pat Shortt, said the Royal will be a place to see films that might not be mainstream and also a centre where film makers can encourage one another.
    Shannon Development CEO, Dr Vincent Cunnane, said it “fits into many of our own aspirations for Limerick and the Mid West.
    “The Royal will help city centre business activity, tourism, innovation and new business development and as we are actively attracting established film production companies to the region, the Royal’s digital media training will strengthen our hand in developing an exciting field by creating a pool of skilled media professionals.
    Already backing the project are Shannon Development, City of Limerick VEC, Limerick City Council, Limerick Regeneration, Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership, Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Burns Pet Nutrition Ireland Ltd,.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I love Dolans its gets great acts but its far from an excellent venue

They have made alot of money over the years there,and from what i can see they have put very little back into the venue

Anyone here been to the Set Theatre in Kilkenny?Now thats a class venue,been there for comdey and music

Dolans the bar is a awful for very busy gigs and seated ones very poor also

Set great bars,they have cinema seating they can move in and out very easy,nice entranc etc

Dolans should re ine vest now to keep up with the new Royal as they could lose alot of gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

a stage theatre should be in the opera centre site, as a centrepiece attraction for a nightlife area including restaurants, bars etc, get people into town, and keep them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

where exactly is it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I don't know about this being a gem of architecture but I had some great times there- saw 2001 A Space Odyssey there from what seemed like ''high'' in the balcony even though I was sitting in the stalls . Ah the memories or lack of them.

The real architectural gem was the Lyric cinema just around the corner and the loss of that and buildings in The Peoples Park and I realized then that barbarians wer'nt just at the gate but now running the city.

To those the mourn the Savoy -don't -it was a monstrosity

marienbad wrote: »

I can only assume you're referring to the last incarnation of the Savoy, which was horrendous and completely disfunctional. The original was amazing and to this day is in my top 3 of venues to work in.

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

the only image I could find of the old Savoy is on this page, cant remember it, but remember the newer Savoy cinema opening
    http://www.limerickslife.com/cinemas.htm

This is the Savoy I was referring to. I don't think there are many other pictures floating around but Sean Curtain(Stroll down memory lane) definitely has some. Were it still standing; it would be a huge asset to the city.
    http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/main/IrishLifeEnquiry.asp?iPictureID=20343&iCategoryID=95&iCategoryTypeID=9

This is the Savoy I was referring to. I don't think there are many other pictures floating around but Sean Curtain(Stroll down memory lane) definitely has some. Were it still standing; it would be a huge asset to the city.
    http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/main/IrishLifeEnquiry.asp?iPictureID=20343&iCategoryID=95&iCategoryTypeID=9

Indeed -saw Rory Gallagher Tom Paxton janis Ian and many more there - brilliant nights -a concert venue in centre of the city and replaced by a bowling alley with a cinema attached.

Indeed -saw Rory Gallagher Tom Paxton janis Ian and many more there - brilliant nights -a concert venue in centre of the city and replaced by a bowling alley with a cinema attached.

Janis Ian, in Limerick, really? That must have been a strange one.

Janis Ian, in Limerick, really? That must have been a strange one.

Yeah and she was quite big at the time , I would say the capacity was not too far off 1500 to 2000 , brilliant venue.

All the new James Bond movies would open there on a Sunday night, cinema jammed to the rafters , I remember people even sitting on the steps in the aisles. A real communal experience - in those days people wnts to the disco on a friday nights in Franciscan Hall ( annoying priests on the lookout for close dancing) or Old Crescent or Bohs , got pissed on Saturday nights and sobered up at the cinema on Sunday and back to the grindstone on monday.

I would say the capacity was not too far off 1500 to 2000

Good guess. It was around 1485 if I remember right...

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

jmch81 wrote: »

The lyric Cinema was a fantastic building :eek: At least it looks it in black and white..

Good guess. It was around 1485 if I remember right...

g

Fantastic size when you think of it - was'nt it and often sold out. Empty a lot too though, sometimes just 20/30 people in the afternoons- I remember mitching from school and spending the afternoon there.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    The lyric Cinema was a fantastic building :eek: At least it looks it in black and white..

It was indeed , marble floors and stained glass etc in the foyer . Maybe some great memories are colouring my thinking but I cannot understand how it was allowed to be knocked .

Maybe I am looking through rose tinted glasses, I would be interested if anyone on here with architectural knowledge would see any merit in it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I think I saw Snow White in the Theater Royal as a kid
    and the Karate Kid.

Saw the Cranberries there too shortly have they made it big in the USA
    and returned to Limerick to play. I remember thinking yer wan did not look like
    the Album cover as she had shaved her head, and being searched going in the door, there was a horrid carpet that your feet tended to stick to the floor.

~B

Advertisement