Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Royal 'renovations'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Horrid carpets are a sign the venue is busier selling drink than cleaning up. Pretty common I guess!!

Soo, plenty of great gigs in the Royal, but now with no stage, it'll be only the cinema goers who get to enjoy this great landmark...

g

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

godfrey wrote: »
    Soo, plenty of great gigs in the Royal, but now with no stage, it'll be only the cinema goers who get to enjoy this great landmark...

g

You seem to have missed my question from earlier in the thread. When was the last time that stage was used for a performance?

You seem to have missed my question from earlier in the thread. When was the last time that stage was used for a performance?

You seem to be missing my point.
    I agree, it's been unused a long time, but the building has been shut and not available for rental to the best of my knowledge. To say someone would have rented it if it was such a viable proposistion is simply untrue. I know that several entities have attempted to lease or rent the building over the years.

Now that the VEC have finally decided to do something with it, they're shutting it down to performances of all types. This is my point.

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f2_1315088644

great footage from a rory gallagher gig in the old savoy here. must have been just before it closed. I still cannot believe that a place as fastastic looking as that existed, closed, and was eventaully KNOCKED right in the city centre. sheer madness.

RINO87 wrote: »
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f2_1315088644

great footage from a rory gallagher gig in the old savoy here. must have been just before it closed. I still cannot believe that a place as fastastic looking as that existed, closed, and was eventaully KNOCKED right in the city centre. sheer madness.

I worked in The Savoy under Brendan Murray, and his passing spelt the end of that beautiful theatre. The Fox Theater (correct spelling) in Atlanta is the only room I've found to equal the quality of sound of The Savoy in Limerick.

Now we are about to see the same thing happen again, with the effective demolition of the Theatre Royal, replacing it with 4 small cinems screens and a fantasy 'digital hub'.

Where is the public protest? Maybe 2 years after it's done people will begrudgingly start moaning about it, having done nothing...

C'mon, Limerick. Get yer act together and shout out now.

Please.

By the way, I feel it bears repeating that the sole reason the Royal hasn't had gigs in it since it closed is not because of lack of demand, but because of the unwillingness of the former VEC board to allow anyone rent or lease the building. I've had this confirmed in the last few days, following a visit there.

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

tbh anything up and running on the site of the royal is better than whats there at the moment

Advertisement