Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent. Moving to Ireland. Need advice!

Options
  • 15-01-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

There is a group of 6-7 people moving to Dublin from continent. 4 musicians + management. We'll be based in Ireland for 3-6 months starting from January. So right now we're looking for possible spaces to rent.
    The problems is - our case doesn't seem to be standard, we're many, we need a place to live and a place to rehearse. So we figured out we could have multiple options:

1. Probably the best would be to find a detached house somewhere in Dublin/nearby towns, where neighbors would not be bothered and where we could rehearse, but still be within short reach to Dublin. But all the houses I've been looking through are usually tiny, with neighbors all around or big, but too far (wicklow, etc.)
    2. Find something like an empty space / work space / factory in the city and turn it into a place to live and create. (Any advice on where to look for such properties in Dublin? It looks like a lot of buildings in the city are not used, but they rarely have contact details on them.)
    3. Probably the worst one in terms of budget + transportation - find an apartment + a rehearsal space in Dublin. But the band is real musicians. Being musicians is their full-time daily job. They rehearse everyday and need to see their instruments around, to have the creativity flow.

We don't have a van and it's unlikely we'll have one soon. So it leaves us with public transportation and everything that's nearby (probably Luas would be best).

Read a bunch of threads concerning property rent, searched all the property websites (gumtree, myhome, property, daft and other), but can't find anything which would suit us with our budget (around 1200 euro per month). Any advice on where to search? Where to live? Any other ideas on possible accommodation?
    Good rehearsal spaces with cheap monthly rent and no sharing? Popular local newspapers with lettings? Anything would help.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

That works out at about €200 a month each. Virtually no chance in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I've heard of companies allowing people to stay and act as a kind of "Caretaker" for properties that are vacant.
    Rent is usually ridiculously cheap however from what I gather the downside is that you have fairly short notice to move, should there be a need for the property.

I don't have the details however I know there were a few newspaper articles about it, perhaps a thread or 2 here as well.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 profti

That works out at about €200 a month each. Virtually no chance in Dublin.

Yes, I understand that. Still hoping to find something. Anyway there are more or less reasonable options, like this one:
    http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Keatings-Park-coole-Co-Dublin/1127621/

But it seems to be a bit far (considering the possible public transport costs).
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I've heard of companies allowing people to stay and act as a kind of "Caretaker" for properties that are vacant.
    Rent is usually ridiculously cheap however from what I gather the downside is that you have fairly short notice to move, should there be a need for the property.

I don't have the details however I know there were a few newspaper articles about it, perhaps a thread or 2 here as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, these people are called Caretakers or live-in guardians. There are such services in Ireland:
    http://ie.cameloteurope.com/508/0/available-now-for-live-in-guardians/adventurous-living-and-working-as-a-live-in-guardian.html

But these guys have restrictions on amount of people living in the permises, applications, residencies, interviews and other stuff, which makes it all complicated.
    ___

On the other note - are there any special terms for renting industrial spaces? i.e. if I find a warehouse with bathroom and kitchen, would it be illegal to stay there? Or it just depends on the owners attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1151941

what about this OP? put a bunk in single room and your sorted... you might need to white lie about number though and say 5...

l
    ive/work use available suit 3/4 n/s persons yearly from only 80 pp pw please note rate quoted is yearly . flexible short rates negotiable subject to term and conditions dependant on numbers etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Something else to consider- Irish property is almost universally let fully furnished. You are going to need somewhere to practice- it is not the case that there will be an empty room handy that can be used for this purpose- and for a short-term let, it is not worth the hassle for a landlord to rent storage for furniture elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

How about somewhere like Rush or Skerries?

On public transport routes, (train & bus)close to the airport, has all amenities and you can get detached houses for your budget.
    What you might find is that on your short stay - you may have to pay slightly more as most rentals are 1 year leases.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1141496

or

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1087863

Just looking at this one ^^ again, there's actually 6 bedrooms for €1250 per month as there's a separate granny flat as well as the house. Seems fairly good value for the amount of bedrooms, communal space and a detached site but beside the train station.

Advertisement