Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else not had to put their heating on this year yet.

Options
  • 15-01-2012 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

I dont know whats going on with the weather the last while.
    I bought 1000 Litres of oil in November and havent used 1 liter of it yet.
    We havent had to turn the heating on once.

Last year I bought 1000 Liters of oil in November and it was all used by the middle of January. I remember checking the tank every couple of days it was going down so fast.

I wish there were more winters like this one so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I am sitting with the fire on at the mo and I wouldn't have considered myself to be a cold person....

But I suppose I love the cosiness of a nice fire on a Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

OP... ssssh, you don't want the thieves in your neighborhood knowing how much home heating oil you have got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

You must have a very good BER cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

didn't put the heating on yet, but i do light a fire every day and back boiler heats the rads - not as much as oil would but enough to fend off the cold this year.. so far, all could change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I bought 1000 Litres of oil in November and havent used 1 liter of it yet.
    We havent had to turn the heating on once.

I wish there were more winters like this one so far.

Well, I've just paid 300.00 for 2 months gas (central heating) AND we have a fire lit most nights. Despite having just had a stove installed and using it, we've needed the heating too. Am veeeeeerrrry disappointed. When/if I ever have a few bob again, I'll be going for insulation. They'll probably have stopped the grant by then though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Diarmuid wrote: »
    You must have a very good BER cert!

Its a D1. Dont really know if thats good or not though. Im assuming not.
    I hear its next to impossible to get an A or B without spending a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've hardly had it on at all this year but then we're a middle apartment getting heat from top and bottom and only 2 small external walls. Very handy really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

There must be something wrong with me I have the heating on for myself for the morning when I get up, again in the evening for when I am going to bed I often flick it on when I come in from work. Then I light the fire every night I would spend about €30 a week on solid fuel. Then I turn on my electric blanket for an hour before I go to bed ...

But I am a very cold person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

toexpress wrote: »
    There must be something wrong with me I have the heating on for myself for the morning when I get up, again in the evening for when I am going to bed I often flick it on when I come in from work. Then I light the fire every night I would spend about €30 a week on solid fuel. Then I turn on my electric blanket for an hour before I go to bed ...

But I am a very cold person

Thats another thing we havent turned on this year. The electric blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Thank god I've a warm husband which negates the need for an electric blanket!

I do have heat on in the morning (couldn't shower if it was cold), for a while before my mam gets to my house with my son at 2, and on/off for the evening come 4.30 till 8. I do knock it off if we're too warm at any stage. Couldn't be without it at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I have heaters in this apartment that have never been used in 7 years, our bedroom the sitting room and the hall have never been turned on, the only heater we use is in my daughters room when its cold, I think it's been on once this year. Other than that we haven't used any heating at all, but again we are in a middle apartment so the heat is travelling to us...

Oh yeah and I really advocate, slippers and fleece jumpers around the house when it's a bit chilly, would wear that for an hour before I decide to turn on the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I've hardly had it on at all this year but then we're a middle apartment getting heat from top and bottom and only 2 small external walls. Very handy really.
    yeah but don't you hear everything though as well? too high a price in my books for a bit of warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

Not needed it that much myself and i'm usually kind of a cold person. My other half is like a human electric blanket though so he never needs it.

However we are living with his friend who is a very cold person. he starting turning it on timed for hour in the morning and an hour in the evening since october!!

Was getting too warm when we were still asleep in the morn so now's its timed to 1 hour in the evening and he tops it up with the fire. I dont mind as thats not much but he leaves it timed for same time every day whether anyone is in the house or not which annoys me a bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I live on upper level of a maisonette, the girl underneath me has the heat on all evening so that heats my place too! Only put heat on for an hour in the morning for hot water and my little one loves her clothes warmed up on the rads. My esb and gas combined for two months is usually 70euro whereas last year it was double that, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

CamperMan wrote: »
    OP... ssssh, you don't want the thieves in your neighborhood knowing how much home heating oil you have got

I suppose it's not that cold this year compared to last year.. looks like there's no need to resort to stealing.. haven't heard much of oil being nicked this year anyway.. let's hope it continues that way

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bought a house last year after having rented various places for years. We bought an end of terrace and the BER was a B3.

We never 'need' the heating on, though we do so for cosiness. Our ESB and gas are about €40 a month. That's with about 2 hours of heat each day.

We're loving the difference between it and the freezing cold apartment we rented previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Well, I've just paid 300.00 for 2 months gas (central heating) AND we have a fire lit most nights. Despite having just had a stove installed and using it, we've needed the heating too.
    guppy wrote: »
    Thank god I've a warm husband which negates the need for an electric blanket!
    C-J wrote: »
    My esb and gas combined for two months is usually 70euro whereas last year it was double that, delighted!
    We never 'need' the heating on, though we do so for cosiness. Our ESB and gas are about €40 a month.

I'm weeping.........but also seeing where I'm going wrong:
    warm husband
    seems to be the common denominator. Anyone renting out one of these? :D

Advertisement