Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

speedball or reflex bag?

• 15-01-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

lads,

quick question, would like to improve my coordination and speed, would I be better getting a speedball or a reflex bag? Unfortunately I can't site a floor to ceiling bag. Any advice gladly received.

Thanks

also, if i put up a speedball platform could i hang a floor to ceiling bag from it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

definitely get a floor to ceiling ball.....it's great for improving reflexes and also upper body movement...

the speedbag is more about rhythmn and doesn't do much for reflexes or movement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks for that, could i hang it from a speedball platform? I can't go drilling holes in the ceiling, i'd get away with the wall

i'm not sure but i think if you could hang it from the speedball the floor/ceiling ball might be too low...

the floor/ceiling ball should be about chest height so the top part would probably need to be fixed higher than the level that the speedball would be at

maybe call into mick dowling's shop and ask or have a look....if your ceiling or wall is just plasterboard it won't hold either....you will need very strong fixings into concrete or block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Floor to ceiling balls are Shiite! If your in a club do pads and if not just get a bag and focus on punching as fast as you can, with practise speed will build up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

i've a heavy bag which i'm really happy with just looking to add another thing to my routine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I always loved using them floor to ceiling bags, just so I am right here, I am assuming they are the ones that attach to the ceiling with a cable, half way down is the 'bag/ball,' and then that is attached to the floor with a cable. I loved them. Now, aren't reflex bags the ones that do not attach to the ceiling?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-Freestanding-Advanced-Reflex-Bag/10284815

OP, the image below is the one I assume you mean for speedball?

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=speed+ball+boxing&hl=en&biw=819&bih=490&tbm=isch&tbnid=lsNIZuE7H38h4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.acasports.co.uk/product_info.php%3Fcpath%3D98_99%26products_id%3D5131&docid=cjrnIzTspsUGMM&imgurl=http://www.acasports.co.uk/images/products/full/lonsdale_boxin_speed_ball_platform.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=9FgTT67lKITChAf1s_CKAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=97&vpy=143&dur=2009&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=81&ty=195&sig=113593185564594138994&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=142&start=0&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Me personally, and for you to add to your equipment, for speed, reflexes and hand to eye coordination, I would go with floor to ceiling bag

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-Everhide-Double-End-Striking-Bag/14292485

Anyway, I would agree somewhat with cowzerp, can't beat good old pads and bags.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Floor to ceiling balls are Shiite! If your in a club do pads and if not just get a bag and focus on punching as fast as you can, with practise speed will build up.

floor/ceiling bags are one of the best training routines for reflexes. it is also excellent for learning to slip punches with good head movement, you slip and dodge the bag as it comes back at you

the problem is many ppl don't know how to use proper technique but most of the best boxers include them in their daily workout

punching a heavybag will do nothing for reflexes

p.s. join a club and save your money;)

thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

floor/ceiling bags are one of the best training routines for reflexes. it is also excellent for learning to slip punches with good head movement, you slip and dodge the bag as it comes back at you

the problem is many ppl don't know how to use proper technique but most of the best boxers include them in their daily workout

punching a heavybag will do nothing for reflexes

And if your not in a boxing club you can be sure you don't know how to use 1, real reflexes for boxing wont be achieved without pads and sparring, speed can be developed on a bag, it all depends if you aim to punch your fastest though because if not you won't get faster.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

to be honest lads i've been using the heavy bag to lose weight and i've been stunned by the results. I was thinking a might add something else in as well. Just for a bit of variety. Now i can't go drilling holes in the ceiling but i could put up a platform or a bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tinner777 wrote: »
    to be honest lads i've been using the heavy bag to lose weight and i've been stunned by the results. I was thinking a might add something else in as well. Just for a bit of variety. Now i can't go drilling holes in the ceiling but i could put up a platform or a bracket.

That I would encourage, it can't hurt to try, and it's not as if it will do you harm.

cowzerp wrote: »
    And if your not in a boxing club you can be sure you don't know how to use 1, real reflexes for boxing wont be achieved without pads and sparring, speed can be developed on a bag, it all depends if you aim to punch your fastest though because if not you won't get faster.

he could easily learn to use it if he watches a couple of youtube videos.....only way to learn is to practice

sparring is gd for reflexes and the floor/ceiling bag is next.....bags do nothing for reflexes.......reactive speed is different to just speed without reacting

sounds like just trying to get fit so why not get one to make it more interesting, doesn't matter if technique isnt spot on once he's working hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

If you wan a bit of variety, id get a very good rope and learn to skip properly. Once you learn it's a very enjoyable excersise, especially with a bit of music.
    I despise running but love skipping, great to pick up a rope and mess about for a while.

A floor to ceiling ball is a good tool for boxing but can be frustrating as hell (although watching Roy Jones use one on youtube makes it look like a 2 year old would manage it), even for someone boxing a while, i'd even advise a speedball faster, although i'm not mad on them as a boxing tool, I think it can be picked up faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

get yourself a double end bag bruv ............ great for fine tuning your timing and a decent light workout .

A lot of people dont like them cause they cant get the hang of it . Terribly difficult to begin with, but you'll get there .

One thing most people don't take into account with the SPEEDBAG is how loud the noise is . The noise will go right through the house and possibly even your neighbour's house too !

Theres a few ways to tone the noise down though, so dont lert that put u off.

Theres a guy called Sugar ....... eh ??.....what's his name?
    Oh yeah, Sugar Shane Mosley ...... working a double ended bag in the second half of this video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPb_sp4A1s&list=UU5ou4R7bLbjD85Tiv6O-eOw&index=13&feature=plcp

Bosch !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Love this one, watch Jones have a go at 6.08, some speed -

Advertisement