Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Charging me 23% VAT despite companies promise not to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They would need to declare VAT at 23% as it's the law, but more than likely reduce product prices by the 2% difference.

FYI: Companies can't charge any old VAT rate at their choosing, marketing gimmick or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

They have to charge 23% as its the law. I presume they have reduced the base price of the product correspondingly so that there is no net price increase to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

zAbbo- jinx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lidl clearly stated on its website that they will not be passing on the VAT increase to it's customers.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/more-for-you.htm
    This is what they clearly state...
    New Year Vat Hike?...Not at Lidl!
    At Lidl we are committed to finding you new ways to save every day! So that's why we've decided to pay the 2% VAT increase on your grocery shopping. Happy New Year from all at Lidl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

OMG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What Lidl and all other retailers in the same boat are doing is reducing the ex-vat price and then adding 23% Vat so that the retail price does not change. This is a neat marketing ploy and most certainly will not last. All these retailers are using the "no increase" advertising in the hope they can source their stuff cheaper and then perhaps they may not increase the retail price. If that does not happen, prices will start creeping up in the next 6 to 8 weeks. In law they have to account for VAT @ 23% to Revenue despite what they claim otherwise. Therefore it is NOT a Rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its pure marketing talk.

Dont get sucked in by it. Just like the Tesco change for good campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh how i lolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

darokane wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh how i lolled.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Amateur.

They look dumb claiming the VAT increase is not being passed on.

But what makes Lidl look even dumber is this:
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_17188.htm

I bought this kettle exactly 1 year ago in Lidl for 12.99 EUR. Now Lidl want 19.99 EUR for it.

Now Lidl can game you and you will learn to like it. Here is a business idea. Let's start a new price league where all the Retailers do coke before the race. It's like boxing versus ultimate fighting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

tesco are saying the same but they are sneaky, a 300g bag of mixed nuts used to cost 3.69 a few weeks ago, now its a 250g bag for the same price!

Skopzz wrote: »
    Amateur.

I bought this kettle exactly 1 year ago in Lidl for 12.99 EUR. Now Lidl want 19.99 EUR for it.

Now Lidl can game you and you will learn to like it. Here is a business idea. Let's start a new price league where all the Retailers do coke before the race. It's like boxing versus ultimate fighting!
    From what I can see they're not passing it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Skoppz, lidl nor any other retailer can retain "21% vat" on their receipts, it would be illegal. They must put "23% vat" on it. As explained, what they have done is reduce the pre-vat price to offset/absorb the vat increase. Before posting stupid comments, if you are going to claim lidl are not as good as their word, go to the shop and get examples to conclusively back up your claim.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here, is it possible the kettle was advertised as half price on their flyer at the time you bought it, put in simple terms for you, it was on special offer at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Skopzz wrote: »
    Amateur.

They didn't have that kettle 1 year ago! - They did have a very basic cordless kettle last year as I have one in the canteen here. This year's model has following features

With removable limescale filter insert (important for many parts of country)
    Powerful cordless kettle - 360° rotatable (2400w v 2000w)
    Base with built-in cable rewind (not in last years model)
    Non slip feet for stability (not on last years model)

As for the VAT issue - yet again you show your utter lack of basic knowledge of pricing.

From 00.01am on 1st January 2012, a retailer must include 23% vat on all products that previously had 21% vat included. If a retailer did not increase their prices due to this, then the extra VAT is paid by the retailer anyway.

When a retailer advertsies VAT free or no Vat increase, it simply means it is effectively discounting the extra vat element off the retail prices.

It will eventually get passed on as it is a new cost.

Having been in Lidl this morning, it seems that the usual stuff i buy there are all the same price as they were before the VAT increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Having been in Lidl this morning, it seems that the usual stuff i buy there are all the same price as they were before the VAT increase.

And what do you buy? Probably food items that are VAT exempt - why would they change the prices on goods that there is no VAT return on anyway?

If you look at the receipts from Aldi or Lidl it clearly states the VAT rate applicable to the item after the price.

And what do you buy? Probably food items that are VAT exempt - why would they change the prices on goods that there is no VAT return on anyway?

If you look at the receipts from Aldi or Lidl it clearly states the VAT rate applicable to the item after the price.

Yeah i don't but cleaning products or toliet roll(I wipe my arse with a newspaper)etc. etc.I am aware that the lidl vat receipt shows the amount of VAT you pay and that it says that the VAT rate is 23%,
    But that does now mean that they are passing on the new VAT rate

Yeah i don't but cleaning products or toliet roll(I wipe my arse with a newspaper)etc. etc.I am aware that the lidl vat receipt shows the amount of VAT you pay and that it says that the VAT rate is 23%,

:confused:

You didn't answer the question.

You state that

Thats quite an inflammitory insinuation that the prices haven't changed according to their VAT promise. ie as other posters have stated the prices have decreased to counteract the VAT increase which they must by law pay to Revenue and state so on their receipts.

So can you find some proof that an item that is applicable for 23% VAT is now the exact same price or do you stand by your comment that "it seems" to be the same? I suggested that the items you believed to be the same price were perhaps staple foodstuffs that were always 0% VAT and you came back with some vulgar toilet humour which has no relevence to the point.

maxer68 wrote: »
    They didn't have that kettle 1 year ago! - They did have a very basic cordless kettle last year as I have one in the canteen here. This year's model has following features

With removable limescale filter insert (important for many parts of country)
    Powerful cordless kettle - 360° rotatable (2400w v 2000w)
    Base with built-in cable rewind (not in last years model)
    Non slip feet for stability (not on last years model)

As for the VAT issue - yet again you show your utter lack of basic knowledge of pricing.

From 00.01am on 1st January 2012, a retailer must include 23% vat on all products that previously had 21% vat included. If a retailer did not increase their prices due to this, then the extra VAT is paid by the retailer anyway.

When a retailer advertsies VAT free or no Vat increase, it simply means it is effectively discounting the extra vat element off the retail prices.

It will eventually get passed on as it is a new cost.

Wrong maxer. This kettle lhad ALL those features last year.

Maxer, this may come as a disturbing surprise to you, but your personal or any other of your egotistically driven experiential descriptions add nothing of import to this Monday morning thread. Maxer, you're starting to polemically froth at mouth! Take my advice, go back to wherever it is you consider your little refuge; have some warm milk and toast, and maybe, just maybe, you can avoid a debilitating case of the vapors.

davo10 wrote: »
    Skoppz, lidl nor any other retailer can retain "21% vat" on their receipts, it would be illegal. They must put "23% vat" on it. As explained, what they have done is reduce the pre-vat price to offset/absorb the vat increase. Before posting stupid comments, if you are going to claim lidl are not as good as their word, go to the shop and get examples to conclusively back up your claim.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here, is it possible the kettle was advertised as half price on their flyer at the time you bought it, put in simple terms for you, it was on special offer at the time.

Is that all you got? Man, come out with hard and strong recognized constructs or stay at home!! This kettle last year was NOT on offer. In fact, an interest in the price difference has rendered this kettle 7 EUR cheaper this time last year making your claim inviable; period! Quit trying to hang your polemical hat on that rickety old hatrack - it's over. If you insist on repeating your constant rhythmic mantra you are in mortal danger of becoming an old worn out cliche --- the worst kind of polemicist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

tesco are saying the same but they are sneaky, a 300g bag of mixed nuts used to cost 3.69 a few weeks ago, now its a 250g bag for the same price!

That's nuts!

:confused:

You didn't answer the question.

You state that

Thats quite an inflammitory insinuation that the prices haven't changed according to their VAT promise. ie as other posters have stated the prices have decreased to counteract the VAT increase which they must by law pay to Revenue and state so on their receipts.

So can you find some proof that an item that is applicable for 23% VAT is now the exact same price or do you stand by your comment that "it seems" to be the same? I suggested that the items you believed to be the same price were perhaps staple foodstuffs that were always 0% VAT and you came back with some vulgar toilet humour which has no relevence to the point.
    You didn't suggest, you insinuated and I replied in kind.
    Can you provide me with some proof that items have gone up in price solely because of the vat increase?
    If I go in there weekly and say for example I buy 12 condoms, now before the vat increase the condoms were x amount and after the vat increase the condoms are still x amount, that would say to me that they have not applied the vat increase.
    That's just one example

Can you provide me with some proof that items have gone up in price solely because of the vat increase?
    If I go in there weekly and say for example I buy 12 condoms, now before the vat increase the condoms were x amount and after the vat increase the condoms are still x amount, that would say to me that they have not applied the vat increase.
    That's just one example

:eek:

The VAT rate on condoms has been 13.5% since 2008.

If you're going to debate on the merits of supermarkets charging 23% VAT then I suggest that you go and do a bit of research as to what is actually charged at 23% before making incorrect statements such as above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This thread is hilarious :D

Lidl chocolate digestive 400g were 69c in 2011, now 69c in 2012. 23% vat applies.

That's just one example

:eek:

The VAT rate on condoms has been 13.5% since 2008.

If you're going to debate on the merits of supermarkets charging 23% VAT then I suggest that you go and do a bit of research as to what is actually charged at 23% before making incorrect statements such as above.
    It was an example, wind your neck in
    Do you know what the word example means

snubbleste wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious :D

Lidl chocolate digestive 400g were 69c in 2011, now 69c in 2012. 23% vat applies.

Exactly the point i'm trying to make.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Thread closed because it's becoming too personal and off topic. Skopzz, if I get any more reported threads because of your insults, you will be banned from this forum. Getting a bit sick of seeing your name associated with reported posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement