Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting MF 390 cab onto MF690

Options
  • 15-01-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Have a Massey Fergusan 690 with the usual problem - mechanically perfect but the cab falling apart with rust. I have baught a complete 390 series cab and am going to fit it to the 690.

Has anyone ever done this before ?
    I would be very interested to know how they got on.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

is it worth all the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Figerty

Rust in Donegal is always going to be a problem if near the sea.. and if it isn't the sea it will be the wind and rain..I hear this year was woeful wet.

It might be worth giving the new cab an extra coat of paint and if second hand patching up and potential trouble spots now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

will it fit? would it not have been easier to get a 690 cab from the content in good condition? Id say that will be a massive job if the cab are not the same dimensions. Id love to see the finished product though! Prob not too many 600 series with a 300 cab!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

I would have a horrible feeling the dimensions will be all wrong, the 690 cab sits much higher than the 390, the distance between floor and bottom of window on 690 is very small in comparison, it will bolt to the axle fine im sure but you might have to raise it a bit at the back to accomodate round the front, I would cut the old cab off but leave the floor and pedals intact then work in the new cab around it, it will take a bit of work but all the measuring in the world wont make any odds till you sit the new cab in place, i would definatelky leave the old floor in place though or at least take it out carefully.....suppose its rotten too though knowing 6 series :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

Like the others have said, I don't think you're going to get the 390 cab to fit properly without a fair bit of modifying. See if you can find a cab from an 80 series Landini - they're identical to the 600 series cab and were zinc coated, so don't suffer from the chronic rust problems of the Ferguson cabs. It'd leave things an awful lot easier for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

just fit a new set of doors. theyre cheap now and clean the cab up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

if masseys are anything like fords then forget it. bolting different cabs onto tractors is a piece of piss. due the very evolutionary design of them there's very little difference between the main hard points.

but so many differences between the little details, the linkages from controls to levers and actuators on the back end, the pedals, gear levers, all the little bits and pieces will kill the job.

but man those 600 series cabs can rot cant they?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

thank you for all the comments. i am going to borrow a 390 to compare it in detail with the 690. i am going to refurbish the 390 cab anyway as it would always fit a damaged 390 . will post when detailed measurements are done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Figerty

Sounds like a project for a wet day! It should be easy enough to compare them and see how much work has to be done.

I'd like to hear how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

if you wanted to buy a 600 series cab theres 1 for sale in kerry advertised on donedeal :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

correct me if im wrong, but did the landinis from the early 90s use massey cabs? The smaller machines look like the 600 series MF cabs, and the larger models are like the MF 2005 series cabs. I dont know landini very well so I dont know the exact models. Anyway, if this is true, would these fit the massey 600 series? and would the landini cabs have been dipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

the landini 80 series cabs ar the exact same as the mf 600 series.......however the late eighys-early nineties landini cabs arent zinc coated but the late nineties cabs are..........is it the black 300 series cab or the silver 1? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

Have the silver cab . All still sitting in the workshop ! Will have a go over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevin130lc

Hi do you still have the 390 cab

Advertisement