Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse Collection Standing Charge

Options
  • 15-01-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Tried searching but couldn't find the answer.

We are renting a house since Oct and are now being transferred to the greyhound bin collection from the Dublin city council service.

When we took over the tenancy, we were only liable for the lift charges, I.e. the waste we produced, which is €6 per lift. I assume the landlord took over the annual standing charge.

Now that greyhound are taking over, who pays the standing charge? This looks like it will get complicated, as greyhound use a prepayment system whereas the DCC system was invoiced.

I would guess the standing charge is for the property, so the landlord would have to pay? Anybody had the same situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

It really depends on what's written in your lease.

There's no obligation on a landlord to pay the standing charge for waste collection, any more than they would pay the standing charge on electricity or gas.

In your case, if the landlord was paying the standing charge on the DCC service (even if it isn't in the lease), one would assume that he would continue to pay it on the new service.

How much was the DCC standing charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the charge is to allow for the service. polluter pays.

if you dont want to pay then they wont lift your bins simple. why would your landlord pay for you to have a bin service any more than he would pay your standing charge for esb or any other service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

D3PO wrote: »
    the charge is to allow for the service. polluter pays.

if you dont want to pay then they wont lift your bins simple. why would your landlord pay for you to have a bin service any more than he would pay your standing charge for esb or any other service ?
    He already was paying though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Greyhound have done this in other areas of Dublin- take over the collection where there is a simple lift charge, and then change the lift charge to a charge per kilo of waste generated, alongside an annual service charge for unlimited lifts. The annual charge tends to be 65-75 Euro, and is based on the notion of unlimited lifts at what they claim is a lower average cost per unit waste generated, than the simple lift charge.......

As per the previous comments- the polluter pays principle applies. The Landlord will have paid a deposit to the council for the sake of providing the bin- its up to the tenant to pay to have it collected. If you haven't already setup an account with the company- you need to discuss this with the landlord (as the theory behind the account is that it is personal to holder, rather than personal to property). It could be that the landlord might be persuaded to have the account associated with the property- and might be persuaded that the annual charge is part and parcel of this. You need to discuss this with him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i got the same letter today, 80 euro standing charge,

i rang the management company and was told to discuss it with my landlord, then phoned landlord and was told to send the letter to the management company!

so i just popped it in the post just now. Pah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

If you're away for six months of the year, can you just pay for the balance of the six months. I was away since Jan, returning soon. I asked them to only bill me for latter 6 months but they charged full year without explanation and can't get through to them. I presume it's fixed regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Greyhound haven't taken my green bin for the last two collection days, nor have they taken anyone elses on my road when I ring them they say their sat nav says the van has come down the street and that I left my bin out late, with no tags or obstructed none of the above it true. I have been called a liar, hung up on and been sniggered at by a staff member and the customer care manager.

I paid my yearly charge back in october of 60euro, they are now refusing to lift my bins as they said I was abusive. I am so tired of this crowd of cowboys all I want is a quiet life and my bloody bins collected after all I am paying for the service.

I'd advise anyone to not use greyhound their are other refuse collection companies out their, greyhound took and more than they can chew and since they have the whole of Dublin wrapped up they couldnt be bothered providing the service.

Advertisement