Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Point Closed

Options
  • 15-01-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi all, went to use the recycling facilities @ the letterkenny Public Services Building car park today and the barriers were up, thus limiting access to the bins today - and probably all weekend.

Does anyone know if this was just an oversight or are they off limits every weekend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Think it's the same every weekend, and possibly even after a certain time of day during the week. There are glass and can recycle bins behind the old Dunnes stores too, but their car park closes at a certain time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

They close them all the time.

One the subject, I think they are an eyesore. The amount of people abusing the service is shocking. When we went to get rid of our bottles after the festive season the amount of what looked like bags of household rubbish dumped all around the banks was shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Firblog wrote: »
    Hi all, went to use the recycling facilities @ the letterkenny Public Services Building car park today and the barriers were up, thus limiting access to the bins today - and probably all weekend.

Does anyone know if this was just an oversight or are they off limits every weekend?
    That would be the "Bring bank" you are referring to as the actual recycling centre is up at Carnamuggagh - from this link
    Letterkenny Recycling Centre January 2012
    Thursday 10.30am – 7pm, Friday 8.30am – 5pm, Saturday 8.30am – 2pm
    As an aside I see the Letterkenny, Stranorlar and Milford recycling centres are now operated privately.

Charges for all cars is now reduced from €10 to €4 at all centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Aye, was the bring bank alright, dunno why the can't leave it open as alot of others in the county are; why put obstacles in the way of people who are trying to do the right thing... hate going to recycle stuff and the bins are full, drive around with clinking noises coming from the boot for days until the bins are emptied; That's prob why loads of people dump stuff beside the bins too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ConorH.

Letterkenny Skip Hire also offer this service and have done it for quite a while now at €4 per load.

Dead handy to get rid of your recyclables and do your bit for the environment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

when DCC ran the site any plastic was`allowed. this firm only takes hard plastic such as milk containers...

pity they haven't advertised the fact.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Passed the same place today and it was open... maybe council takes note of what is said on 'boards' :eek: or perhaps someone just forgot to lock the gate this weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

since the LK site isn't taking soft plastic any longer what should I do with it.

Maybe buy a box of matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 old westie

Firblog wrote: »

This is the norm, its called public service hours only. Kind of a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 12 old westie

They close them all the time.

One the subject, I think they are an eyesore. The amount of people abusing the service is shocking. When we went to get rid of our bottles after the festive season the amount of what looked like bags of household rubbish dumped all around the banks was shocking!

One reason they are untidy is the fools that set them up never bothered having a paper recycle container beside the other containers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

old westie wrote: »
    One reason they are untidy is the fools that set them up never bothered having a paper recycle container beside the other containers.
    So it's all the council's fault and nothing to do with the people who dump their rubbish there. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Whilst I agree that people shouldn't dump their cardboard boxes all over the place (some would probably throw the cardboard on the ground regardless of a container), I do wonder why there isn't a paper and card container, since it makes up for a lot of people's recycling.

I guess most already have recycling bins (which annoyingly can't be used for glass)?

Advertisement