Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a fireplace?

• 15-01-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a fireplace which opened out into the kitchen which I had sealed up about a year ago (I didnt see the need of a fireplace facing into the kitchen in a two bed ex council house). I didnt do anything other than remove the fireplace surrounds and then cover the wall in plasterboard. There was a back boiler which I didnt bother removing the back boiler etc.

On the opposite side of the wall which faces the sitting room, we peeled the old wall paper today and we found what looks like a filled in fireplace. We would love a fireplace here - would anyone know if this is just from when the back of the fireplace facing the kitchen was installed or would it be likely that there was once a fireplace facing both rooms? I have attached a photo of what we found!

I realise that you could only speculate here but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

Ask around the neighbours and see if their houses are the same might help before you start digging at the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 26 broke

looks like a bricked up fire place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,151 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fireplaces were often put in back to back, so they could use the same chimney stack.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bigted2

broke wrote: »
    looks like a bricked up fire place.
    same here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks folks. Will talk to the neighbour then take a hammer to it!

• Advertisement

let us know what you find:)

Well, I went at it today with a lump hammer and my pneumatic drill and yes it was a fireplace. I have attached a photo of what I found.

Would anyone be able to advise me how to reinstate this as a fireplace? I want to do it myself, on a shoe string budget!

I can get a second hand fireplace surround cheaply. What else would I need to do to the actual fireplace to make it safe and usable?

Thanks!

189433.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,627 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At the very least, investigate the chimney to see is it clear, and investigate how /if it links into the other fireplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

If the chimney has not been in use for some time then get a chimney sweep to clean it. A smoke bomb will show any leakage, you can get these from your local Plumbing shop but the chimney sweep might have some with them.

DoneDL wrote: »
    If the chimney has not been in use for some time then get a chimney sweep to clean it. A smoke bomb will show any leakage, you can get these from your local Plumbing shop but the chimney sweep might have some with them.

Thanks.

I've been able to get chimney sweeping rods, I was planning on doing that myself too. Can you tell me how I use the smoke bomb for best results?

There are three chimneys in this house, all in the same area. Downstairs they are back to back and there is also one in the bedroom. The three are all independent of eachother but built into the same column. There was a crows carcass in the fireplace when I opened it, along with a lot of soot so I am guessing that that means it is open up through the chimney!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Lght a rolled sheet of newspaper and hold it in the fireplace to make sure the smoke is pulled up the chimney, this will save you buying smoke matches to initially test the chimney. If there is a good pull then place a smoke smoke bomb in the centre of the fireplace and light it, all the smoke should exit the chimney and not come back into the room. If need be you can heat the chimney from the fireplace with a gas torch or hair dryer before you test. Do this test with the room door open and the room door closed and make sure there is ventilation in the room for the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hi:)

Definately smoke bomb the chimney as said and check in all rooms the chimney passes through for the presence of smoke, Check in any built in cupboards beside the chimney too and look in the loft:)

If there is any sign of smoke you need to install a flexible flue liner. If none then its suitable to use. A liner is safer and more preferable but not essential if the chimney is sound.

Do you want an open fire or stove? A open fire could be very easy to fit. Somethig like this, but needs the old paint removing and heat proof black painting. Make sure everything is complete, front bars, grate, cast mantleshelf. We bought one similar for 30 euro:) Measure your opening to make sure the back would fit into your opening.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2924860
    Or any of these others.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/cast%20iron%20fireplace
    Basically you would need to remove the wood flooring (presume laminate) to make a hearth 12 inches infront of open fire/stove. You will probably reveal a concrete section if your floors are wooden under the laminate flooring. This concrete section was the constructional hearth. You could buy an all cast iron fireplace and then bolt it to the wall, sitting it on top of your newly laid hearth, vermiculite fill the void behind up to flue outlet of fireplace insert. Job done.

Or line the opening out with fireboard and install new hearth and freestanding stove.
    Or just fit a marble surround and inset stove.

Stove Fan:)

Thanks a mil! Will look at it this weekend and get back to you!

So first, I bought an 18" fireback, cement, insulation and fireclay. Instead of buying a hearth for over €200, I just bought some slate in a patio store for €40. I used a skillsaw to take out the floor, lay cement and fireclay down to bring the level up then put the new "hearth" down.

Then I put the fireback in, filled the back with the special insulation (fireproof) and then cemented it in. Once that was in, I was able to fit the cast iron surround, I used cement to seal it to the wall. Then after that, I had to cut the mantle slightly to fit it flush to the wall. I used wood glue to stick it to the wall. In hindsight, I should have used brass fixings but its stuck now and seems very rigid.

Attached is the finished article! Thank you to everyone for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Nice bit of work. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Looking good:D

nice job

Advertisement