Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Gas Boiler - pipe upgrade required?

• 15-01-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My old natural gas boiler is on the blink and want it replaced with a new high energy efficiency boiler.

Had a Bord Gais Engineer out to asses and give quote.

He said my gas line which runs from the front of my house to my kitchen needs to be upgraded (to a higher guage or something like that) in order to work with the new boilers.

This will require digging up the ground in the front and side of my house to lay the new pipe.

Is this really necessary and common? This extra work is costly and a big nuisance.

Any information on this would be appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

he may mean the pipe diameter is too small. i.e its half inch and should be three quarter inch.is there not a route along the side wall of ur house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dubjedi

Hi,

Thanks for the port. Yes, he said the diameter of the pipe is too small to work with the new boilers.

My problem is that my gas box isn't at the side of my house, it's literally in my porch area. Either put a pipe up the wall in the front of my house to go down the back to my kitchen or move the gas box to the side of my house where a new pipe could be fitted and not be unsightly. Crap place to put the gas box in the first place.

Do you think the new gas boilers would work with a pipe .5 inch in diameter?

Dubjedi wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the port. Yes, he said the diameter of the pipe is too small to work with the new boilers.

My problem is that my gas box isn't at the side of my house, it's literally in my porch area. Either put a pipe up the wall in the front of my house to go down the back to my kitchen or move the gas box to the side of my house where a new pipe could be fitted and not be unsightly. Crap place to put the gas box in the first place.

Do you think the new gas boilers would work with a pipe .5 inch in diameter?

You have had good advice, you should be shaking his hand, to many installers are happy to fit a boiler and run, i can assure you no installer wants to replace the gas line as it's a pain, but only the good installers will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dubjedi

Ok, thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's highly unlikely that it's 1/2" pipe all the way from the meter to the boiler, if you trace the pipe back from the boiler you will probably find it's only the last 2 or 3 mts, are under sized.

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely that it's 1/2" pipe all the way from the meter to the boiler, if you trace the pipe back from the boiler you will probably find it's only the last 2 or 3 mts, are under sized.

Had one last week, working was 9 mbar, DOH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Come across it all the time. I remember one last year. Serviced the boiler and pressure when the boiler was on was 17mbar, when the hob went on it dropped to 15mbar. Boiler was a year old. Non-conformance went in (I'm stricked :D:D). A while later the customer rang me. He called the original installer back when he got the RGII letter, He came and said I was mad and it was well with in regs and recerted:mad:.

It's due a service soon, I hope he doesn't ring me because I will Non-conformance it again.:)

plenty of older houses piped all way from meter in half inch

half inch metric at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

[QUOTE=gdavis;76543934]half inch metric at that![/QUOTE]

think you mean 15mm imperial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

GASMANN wrote: »
    think you mean 15mm imperial
    This is not going to end up political is it? Irish / english thing.

This is not going to end up political is it? Irish / english thing.

jesus, not you again! no i was only making a lighthearted observation

jesus, not you again! no i was only making a lighthearted observation

Then will you leave the lighthearted observations to the other ops that would appear to have a more professional approach.

say what you see, see what you say. Monkey see, monkey do.;)

Then will you leave the lighthearted observations to the other ops that would appear to have a more professional approach.

say what you see, see what you say. Monkey see, monkey do.;)

is that a sales figure i hear manipulating ?

is that a sales figure i hear manipulating ?
    No. Just a brief discription of maybe some GASMENN.:p

i would usually say english/irish copper and any plumber woulda known what i was on about,but thought i might have opened a can of worms! imperial/metric potato/potaaatto lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

@Jk. What regs was here referring to that allows a working pressure less than 19mbar ng?
    And just shows you that RGII never followed it up after receiving the NOH, what's the point,
    They say they are for gas safety but can't even enforce such a simple non conformance back onto the installer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

DGOBS wrote: »
    @Jk. What regs was here referring to that allows a working pressure less than 19mbar ng?
    And just shows you that RGII never followed it up after receiving the NOH, what's the point,
    They say they are for gas safety but can't even enforce such a simple non conformance back onto the installer

I know Tony. I also heard a large Home Team are putting the pressure on to reduce this to 15mbar.:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I have heard the same, and the very fact it's even possible that they can influence that is shameful on the industry!

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I know Tony. I also heard a large Home Team are putting the pressure on to reduce this to 15mbar.:eek:

that could open a can of worms with boiler warranty's surely ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement