Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy Protein

• 15-01-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how soy protein compares to other proteins?

Is it sold anywhere in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Are you vegetarian, vegan or lactose intolerance? If not, you may be better sticking with standard Whey Protein Concentrate.

There is tons of research promoting one type over the other and no definitive answers to which is best. For this reason, I just go with whey concentrate as it's much easier to source and there are much more flavours available.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Its pretty high in phytoestrogens and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Google it for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Wood

Got some for free, it was sh1te, tasted like sawdust and feet. Gave it to a friend of mine then he threw it out. I don't think we're friends anymore after that.

That was the ON stuff, would never use it again purely based on taste and losing friends because you pawn off badly tasting crap to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

marathonic wrote: »
    Are you vegetarian, vegan or lactose intolerance? If not, you may be better sticking with standard Whey Protein Concentrate.

I don't digest meat very well, and dairy affects my asthma, so I'm pretty much a vegan. It's not an ethical decision, but I do feel better in myself when I avoid animal products. I do break it occasionally though, and I've been eating a bit of fish lately.

I make sure to eat plenty of plant-based protein, but I just thought I'd supplement it with something because it's hard to load up as you can on eggs, chicken, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Soya intake has links to reduced test levels and even infertility.

What about egg protein? Olimp do a range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Wood wrote: »
    Got some for free, it was sh1te, tasted like sawdust and feet. Gave it to a friend of mine then he threw it out. I don't think we're friends anymore after that.

That was the ON stuff, would never use it again purely based on taste and losing friends because you pawn off badly tasting crap to them.

I get the vanilla ON one and really like it, so each to their own I guess?! You can order online, or if you ask in fighting fit they'll order it for you.

You can get it in Holland and Barrett too OP - but that one is mank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

anyone tried hemp protein , or the rice protein available from sunwarrior.ie ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

anbrutog wrote: »

Without commenting on the quality of sunwarrior products as i havent used it myself, it seems to be marketed by snake oil merchants and is way over priced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

anbrutog wrote: »

I tasted hemp protein and it was vile. That being said, it's a superior vegetarian/vegan/lactose intolerant product to soy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Derek Poundstone drinks alot of soy protein, but then again he also drinks a lot of chicken shakes.

I think it's good stuff. Easy on digestion, ldl lowering and positive heart health effect evidence is pretty good. It may harm test levels if you're consuming alot of it, but I don't like any of the studies I've read on the matter and don't believe a shake a day will do you any bad. Especially when factored into the typical guys diet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement