Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD 6870 PC crashing

Options
  • 15-01-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a Radeon HD 6870 since installing it has been working fine I however upgraded the catalyst control centre and now my machine keeps crashing randomly tried a rollback but issue still remains.

My monitor will go dead then my graphics card fan goes into overdrive taught it was overheating but its a steady 44 degrees right now.

Other times my monitor will go dead for 5 mins then reboot.

Is this a hardware problem or software problem?

On Sun 1/15/2012 5:55:33 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: G:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x4DA57)
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8000307D546)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: G:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    product: ATI Radeon Family
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Sounds like a issue I had with my graphics card when I upgraded to CCC 11.11. the crashing was fixed with 11.12 though.

Did you use driver sweeper after uninstalling the drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

currently running ccc 11.12 haven't used driver sweeper before I'll give it a go see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well it is driver issue.

try nice clean install of older drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

problem still happening now happening during post could it be my psu its a cool master 620w psu should have been enough.

removed all cards pci cards not being used and the dvd drive just got 2 HDD motherboard and card and it is running without issue.

I did forget to reconnect the psu cables to the graphics card and when I tried to boot the machine I got the same error I have been having all day which is why I think it could be the psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

cintec wrote: »
    problem still happening now happening during post could it be my psu its a cool master 620w psu should have been enough.

removed all cards pci cards not being used and the dvd drive just got 2 HDD motherboard and card and it is running without issue.

I did forget to reconnect the psu cables to the graphics card and when I tried to boot the machine I got the same error I have been having all day which is why I think it could be the psu.

620 is enough as long as its decent.
    Besides,the BSOD is showing the driver to be the problem.
    Download driver sweeper.
    Use it to clear the drivers and reboot in safe mode
    Re-install the 11.12 without the cap from here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Once reinstalled make sure overdrive is disabled in CCC

• Advertisement
Advertisement