Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do i expect i'm having a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy

Options
  • 15-01-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm having the above procedures done at the same time on thursday.
    I was asked that on wednesday i should have breakfast and a light lunch. Then they give me a laxative :( and only liquids are allowed.
    Anyone on here that have these procedures done on the same day, do they put me asleep or keep me awake during the procedures do you know? Are they painful to get done? My mother has Crohne's disease i started to get 'alike' symptoms, thats why the procedures. Do any of you know when they will give the results?
    Also am i allowed to have normal food immediately after the procedure?
    Sorry for all the questions, i am total in the dark concerning this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

you will be sedated (can get it done without sedation but most people get sedated) so you will be out of it/semi asleep

not painful

afterwards there is an hour or two recovery period because of the sedation

get somebody to collect you/drive you home as you won't be able to drive yourself

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

i know its a bit late but i'd both these done a few years back under sedation.

worst part is the fasting. dont remember a thing. it's a doddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mamaehinoh

had it done on thursday.. it was like hell :(
    the sedation wasn't strong enough.. and the doctors had a tough time doing it.
    they tried to get the colonoscope in and they were strugling. i was screaming, the nurse held me saying 'it will soon be over'. oh my god when they finished i lost blood, doctor said it was very difficult, due to me having adhesions and that my intestines were very tough getting the cam through etc.. that the bleeding may have been caused by them damaging my intestines! can you believe that??!! i'm shocked by the 'inexperience' of the doctor who did it.. well thank god it is over and done now anyway, i pray i won't have to get it done again!

Advertisement