Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Pronunciations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Old enough to remember when you pulled up your a-zip and went to the a-zoo in Dublin:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The amount of idiots that call 'espresso' 'expresso' is unreal. Even a woman working in a restaurant I was in recently called it 'expresso'.

Also, bruschetta. It's pronounced 'brusketta' not brusheta'!!! :mad:

Edit: Maybe I'm being harsh with the latter given it's Italian, but.....Ah f*ck it!
    heard on the radio recently that Moet is actually supposed to be pronounced as mow-ete and not mow-ay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Growth as gross and vice versa

Three as free and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

This not Tis :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Am I the only one who read these all out loud trying to get the right annoying pronunciation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Becuz instead of beacause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I heafe noune ofe the unpüre Anglisc und spake in the true maanür the Saxsone toungau.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Assessories. My skin crawls when I hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

THIGH - LAND :D

A real pet hate of mine, and yet this seems to be the chosen pronunciation in the Boards.ie English forum :cool:

THigh-Land is winning in this poll > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056501244

I might also add that Status has no H sound, (or at least I thought it didn't) until I read the same forum :confused:

Sta-THus is winning in this poll > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056500795

For the record, the letter H in Thailand is 100% silent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

My Maths lecturer says mattress, not matrix :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Hate when people say free instead of three!?
    which is it 'skeduale' or 'shhhcedule' ??

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Those who pronounce 'Th' as soft when it should be hard and vice versa. Recently, we heard about Antony Worrall Thompson on RTE news. The announcer used soft 'th' in Antony [even though there is no 'th'] and soft in Thompson where is is hard as in 'tea' for example. There is SO much of this from so-called professionals. If it is a regional accent, so be it ... unprofessional on TV and radio, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The amount of idiots that call 'espresso' 'expresso' is unreal. Even a woman working in a restaurant I was in recently called it 'expresso'.

Also, bruschetta. It's pronounced 'brusketta' not brusheta'!!! :mad:

Edit: Maybe I'm being harsh with the latter given it's Italian, but.....Ah f*ck it!
    No, in Italian 'sch' is always pronounced 'sk'; it's 'sh' in German.

And 'filet' has silent t in 'filet mignon'; it's a different word to 'fillet'.

Hate it when English people call Ireland "Island" - "ah-lund" is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    Those who pronounce 'Th' as soft when it should be hard and vice versa. Recently, we heard about Antony Worrall Thompson on RTE news. The announcer used soft 'th' in Antony [even though there is no 'th'] and soft in Thompson where is is hard as in 'tea' for example. There is SO much of this from so-called professionals. If it is a regional accent, so be it ... unprofessional on TV and radio, absolutely.

Wow, you noticed it too, I think Eileen Dunne was the culprit that night :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Defin-eye-tly

Tremengous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Namlub wrote: »
    Why would it be Wed-ens-day? :confused:

Why wouldn't it? It makes as much sense as Wends-day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Living on Northside Dublin the classic is always the pronunciation of "Ferrari"

"FEEEEE - YARRRRRRRR - EEEEEEE"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

Minyit for minute
    comma tee for committee
    except for accept
    subpract for subtract

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Chung- gum and chum gum ..its chewing gum for f**k sake !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hemlet instead of Helmet.

Festibal instead of festival. My mother says festibal. It drives me nuts.

The Dublin way of pronouncing water is war-thur. WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Pacific instead of specific. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Rindabite instead of roundabout. Pacific instead of specific. Sepific instead of specific. Gehin beh'er instead of getting better. Frikened instead of frightened.

But what really annoys me is when someone says "vanillr ice cream" or words to that effect. I swear to god it annoys me so much!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Will people please stop saying Skown for scone. I know it has an e on the end and maybe that confused you when you were 7 and first read the word but you should know by now that the English language doesn't work like that.

Also Col-youm. Its colum (column). Don't let the n create a shítstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Row-te for route.

Ap-pricot instead of Ape-pri-cot
    I know it doesn't make sense but it sure does make it less of an ugly and abrupt word and don't you dare call your child Apricot because its cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Will people please stop saying Skown for scone. I know it has an e on the end and maybe that confused you when you were 7 and first read the word but you should know by now that the English language doesn't work like that.

Also Col-youm. Its colum (column). Don't let the n create a shítstorm.

"I asked the maid in dulcet tone
    To order me a buttered scone
    The silly girl has been and gone
    And ordered me a buttered scone."

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

... and it's not only slack English who say 'Island' for Ireland ... the Americans are bad at that too ... unless they say Eye-err-laaand :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5H7cgcpkg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

rednik wrote: »
    A place called Arkalow and a great goald scored by Rooney, both from the same person.

The correct pronunciation is Ark-la. ;)

I've also come across the would-be D4 pronunciation of "Ork-low".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

English is ever changing and has many dialects and varied pronunciations. Some of the Hiberno-English words we use e.g. tae are from Elizabethan times and persist here while having changed elsewhere. The language we speak now bears little relation to Chaucer's time. So I wouldn't be too hard on anyone who appears to deviate from what is currently the accepted norm.

Fun site here pointing out some of the absurdities of the languge.

http://www.spellingsociety.org/news/media/poems.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Sahurday instead of Saturday, Matt Cooper does this every time, and also most people from the midlands!

Advertisement