Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Pronunciations.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

dx22 wrote: »
    Sahurday instead of Saturday, Matt Cooper does this every time, and also most people from the midlands!

He also says Boat instead of Both, true-out, instead of throughout, and there's a host of other Th problems from poor old Matt :))
    Sometimes the TH makes a guest appearance (when it shouldn't be there), and sometimes it just gets left out, maybe it is a midlands thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

ChildEren................

My mother cracks me up everytime she says it! But there is no correcting her as she gets insulted!!!

iss-you - seems to be the RTE way of pronouncing "issue"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Will people please stop saying Skown for scone. I know it has an e on the end and maybe that confused you when you were 7 and first read the word but you should know by now that the English language doesn't work like that.
    There is no "right" pronunciation - the Oxford English Dictionary states that both are acceptable, it just varies from region to region. Where I'm from you'd get laughed out of the place if you pronounced it as "skon."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I've heard the Dáil pronounced as "Dawl", "Doll", "Doyle"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Everyone on RTE says fan-ance instead of Fi-nance. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nuc-ular and re-numeration

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Sumbodi, wot's a filem?
    keep hearin abaht cawfee
    an tay
    Black an white pudden
    Where's this lewce ting that teks piple round t plaice
    And on't subjekt of vehikles, wots breaks? pris of pedrol is a crime tu.

Between text speak, bad pronunciation and plain ignorance of grammar, if things don't look up some, we will see the rating of Irish Education slip a lot further than it already has, not because the students can't learn, but because people can't understand what they are saying and writing. There used to be standards for spelling, and checks to make sure that newspapers and the like were correct, but that seems to have gone by the board now, and what's not clear is if the mistakes are because no one checks the copy after it's set, or if they don't realise that it's wrong in the first place.

Nuf sed

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I hate when people say "again" instead of "by the time". Makes no sense and is extremely irritating. Seems to be a dub thing. Hard to write out an example cos its so bizarre it doesn't look right (cos it isn't). I'll try an example though.

"It started pissing rain and again I had me coat outta me bag I was soaking wet already!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

jiltloop wrote: »
    I hate when people say "again" instead of "by the time". Makes no sense and is extremely irritating. Seems to be a dub thing. Hard to write out an example cos its so bizarre it doesn't look right (cos it isn't). I'll try an example though.

"It started pissing rain and again I had me coat outta me bag I was soaking wet already!".

Never heard it myself, don't doubt you though. That's pretty bizarre, wonder if it originated from something else altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Pet-url instead of petrol. Ugh drives me crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Niles wrote: »
    Never heard it myself, don't doubt you though. That's pretty bizarre, wonder if it originated from something else altogether.

I may have it slightly wrong I think it goes a bit like this "again the time I had me jacket out I was soaked already". Yeah its bizarre and seemingly baseless as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

There's a terrible man with a horrible accent on the radio who does the sports news. Possibly 2FM or Today FM. D4 accent and says AIRONI (rugby team) in the most awful way. Earooowneeee. Terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Niles wrote: »
    I've heard the Dáil pronounced as "Dawl", "Doll", "Doyle"...
    In the Donegal gaeltacht they pronounce all á words like that (Doll).

Also: Teesha for Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Curfull :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

People who pronounce Haiti as High-Eatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

when the English commentators used to call Alan shearER Alan shearA!
    Also when people say "teet" instead of teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

terradibble... Mad inner city oulone talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Cousint :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Have a friend who pronounces language as lamuage and american as amurican.
    Another friend pronounces tackle as tattle and penalty as pelanty.
    Lived with a lad in college that used "again" in place of "by the time"
    "it'll be dark again I get there",took me about two weeks to work out what he was actually trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Euros

Shouldn't bother me but it does. Mainly from street sellers shouting

amn't. I amn't doing that work
    I've no issue with this one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I actually like most Hiberno-English pronunciation. A Munster example:

Yesterday was Sahurday, and yit agin it was could and wit. Wasn't the fusht time, and i'h won't be the lasht.

I think that's wonderful. I hope we never lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 terigal

I've read through all 8 pages of posts and agree with almost everyone's words, however I can't believe no one has mentioned the following...Valentimes Day rather than Valentine...person sick with ammonia not pneumonia....that joke was a-sterical when they mean hysterical, terlit not toilet, (maybe that's only in Brooklyn, NYC, USA?) When something unexpected happens it was simply faith not "fate", flounder when they really mean is the word for the term to founder...(look it up : cyber-peeps,)
    and three more very most bothersome mixed up in two different ways pronounced and misused words
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]CONTINUOUS [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]vs. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]CONTINUAL [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]IMG]The word[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continuous[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] means [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]unbroken[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], so that something that occurs continuously [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]occurs with no breaks.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] The word [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continually[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] describes something that [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]occurs repeatedly over a period of tim[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]e.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]( [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]At the end of the semester my phone rings [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continually[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif],[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] as students try to exercise some sort of damage control over the disaster that they fear their grades are likely to be.AND[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]~[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It rained [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continuously [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]for the first three days of our vacation)
    [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]LOSE[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] vs.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] LOOSE[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]tp.gif
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]tp.gifThe word[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] lose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]looze [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], whereas [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]loose [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]loose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you let your dog run [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]loose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], you could[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] lose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] him)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    CHOSE
    [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]vs.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] CHOOSE
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The word [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]choose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]chooze[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], whereas [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]chose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]choze[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](They told me I had to [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]choose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] a major, so I[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] chose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] English.)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]OK ...I'm done now :eek: thanks everyone.............Maybe I just hang around with amazingly dumb individuals or is it I just EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM PEOPLE?

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

thanks everyone.............Maybe I just hang around with amazingly dumb individuals or is it I just EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM PEOPLE?

[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Yes and yes ... as do I :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

terigal wrote: »
    I've read through all 8 pages of posts and agree with almost everyone's words, however I can't believe no one has mentioned the following...Valentimes Day rather than Valentine...person sick with ammonia not pneumonia....that joke was a-sterical when they mean hysterical, terlit not toilet, (maybe that's only in Brooklyn, NYC, USA?) When something unexpected happens it was simply faith not "fate", flounder when they really mean is the word for the term to founder...(look it up : cyber-peeps,)
    and three more very most bothersome mixed up in two different ways pronounced and misused words
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]CONTINUOUS [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]vs. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]CONTINUAL [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]IMG]The word[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continuous[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] means [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]unbroken[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], so that something that occurs continuously [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]occurs with no breaks.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] The word [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continually[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] describes something that [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]occurs repeatedly over a period of tim[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]e.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]( [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]At the end of the semester my phone rings [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continually[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif],[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] as students try to exercise some sort of damage control over the disaster that they fear their grades are likely to be.AND[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]~[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It rained [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]continuously [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]for the first three days of our vacation)
    [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]LOSE[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] vs.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] LOOSE[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]tp.gif
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]tp.gifThe word[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] lose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]looze [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], whereas [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]loose [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]loose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If you let your dog run [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]loose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], you could[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] lose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] him)
    [/FONT]
    CHOSE
    [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]vs.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] CHOOSE
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The word [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]choose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]chooze[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], whereas [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]chose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] is pronounced [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]choze[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](They told me I had to [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]choose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] a major, so I[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] chose[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] English.)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]OK ...I'm done now :eek: thanks everyone.............Maybe I just hang around with amazingly dumb individuals or is it I just EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM PEOPLE?

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Welcome to boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

FatherLen wrote: »
    can I axe you a question?

no fuck off!

eh isn't Axe is actually old pidgeon english...

Banan-its, choun fellits.(youngfellas)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

South Offaly/north Tipp talk. The e sound will become a. This is still very prevalent among the older generation.

e.g Meat=Mate.
    Beast=Baste.
    tea=tay.
    Leap card= Lape card, I had to laugh at an aul fella in the pub who was asking me how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

terigal wrote: »
    I've read through all 8 pages of posts and agree with almost everyone's words, however I can't believe no one has mentioned the following...Valentimes Day rather than Valentine...person sick with ammonia not pneumonia....that joke was....

A well thought out and comprehensible post... You'll fit in just fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

a mate of mine always says coilcovers when its actually coilovers even tho i keep pointing it out he still says it wrong.Idiot

Advertisement