Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Pronunciations.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Also, I - talians

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

micropig wrote: »
    Could you be more pacific?

i pronounce it this way or spacific, can't seem to say it properly and in my last job had to talk about specific heat capacity a lot, I'm scarleh thinking about it:-P

i laugh when i hear people say car-pen-ter

What's wrong with that? Isn't that how everyone says it?
    Do you mean when people put the emphasis on the second or third syllables?

Side note: I think these "annoying pronunciaton" threads need a standardised system for expressing syllable-emphasis in written form.
    I suggest writing the emphasised syllable in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Crips intstead of crisps does my head in as does safety pronounced saf-e-ty...don't know where that has come from. Michael McMullen on Today FM saying Orsenal insteas of Arsenal also annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I know both are acceptable but it really gets on my tits when people pronounce lickrish (liquorice) as lickiriss. grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Thegoodwife

i know someone who has trouble with certain words. She pronounces onion .. oingyun and Aine is Awingya! I wanted to call one of my kids Aine but i couldn't cause i knew it would drive me bananas! Also - i had a friend who used to call my brother Eoin ... Ooown! Maddening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Could you be more pacific?

i pronounce it this way or spacific, can't seem to say it properly and in my last job had to talk about specific heat capacity a lot, I'm scarleh thinking about it:-P

i laugh when i hear people say car-pen-ter

What's wrong with that? Isn't that how everyone says it?
    Do you mean when people put the emphasis on the second or third syllables?

Side note: I think these "annoying pronunciaton" threads need a standardised system for expressing syllable-emphasis in written form.
    I suggest writing the emphasised syllable in bold.

same emphasis on each syllable with a pause at the hyphen (best i can explain it)

same emphasis on each syllable with a pause at the hyphen (best i can explain it)

That sounds ok to me (though I'd put a slight emphasis on the first syllable), unless it's a noticeably long pause.

Maybe I've been saying it wrong the whole time!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

bit of a kerry thing, but people saying "air-eee" instead of area, and "commmm-it-eee" for committee

so annoying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I hate it when Irish people pronounce "th" as "t". So they pronounce "third" as "turd."

Batsy wrote: »
    I hate it when Irish people pronounce "th" as "t". So they pronounce "third" as "turd."

If they were talking to you directly, they may not have meant "third." :pac:

• Advertisement

That sounds ok to me (though I'd put a slight emphasis on the first syllable), unless it's a noticeably long pause.

Maybe I've been saying it wrong the whole time!

i think that's what it is, too long of a pause between each syllable, saying each as a separate word.

No. They say on the telly. I heard Bob Geldof saying it on Top Gear the other day, too. It's annoying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

i think that's what it is, too long of a pause between each syllable, saying each as a separate word.

Does this person do it with other words as well?
    Does he look like this?

No. They say on the telly. I heard Bob Geldof saying it on Top Gear the other day, too. It's annoying.

Some people do indeed pronounce it that way, but not all Irish people do. No-one from my neck of the woods does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Lets all copy you and say fird..

RichieC wrote: »
    Lets all copy you and say fird..

I pronounce "third" the way it should be. I can pronounce both of the "th" sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I pronounce "third" the way it should be. I can pronounce both of the "th" sounds.

You should put that on your CV.

It looks like I've hit a nerve.

It seems to be okay for posters on this thread to write things like "and when british people put an r at the end of words...like hannar instead of just hanna" and "When people (usually English) add "k" to "ng" words, and random "r"s to words where there are none. Examples: "Nothingk, anythingk, waitingk, etc" but when someone mocks the way the Irish speak that person is suddenly attacked.

It seems like mocking the way the English speak is fine, but mocking the way the irish speak isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

It seems to be okay for posters on this thread to write things like "and when british people put an r at the end of words...like hannar instead of just hanna" and "When people (usually English) add "k" to "ng" words, and random "r"s to words where there are none. Examples: "Nothingk, anythingk, waitingk, etc" but when someone mocks the way the Irish speak that person is suddenly attacked.

It seems like mocking the way the English speak is fine, but mocking the way the irish speak isn't.

Never heard "turd" "troath" "heighth" "threadmill" "chimley" or "modren" until I moved to Ireland.

It's atrocious over here and people use this Hiberno-English excuse instead of acknowledging stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where were you attacked? I'd say it was the blacks that did it any case. But you jut try and complain and nobody'll listen. Them's the breaks of being a straight white male with a perfect command of his TH sounds.

no offense meant, just thought it was a witty remark, i got slagged a bit over this when living in the UK, no problem mocking the way the Irish speak, sure its all just a bit if banter!

summerskin wrote: »
    Never heard "turd" "troath" "heighth" "threadmill" "chimley" or "modren" until I moved to Ireland.

It's atrocious over here and people use this Hiberno-English excuse instead of acknowledging stupidity.

Some Irish people pronounce some words a certain way.

Some English people pronounce some words a different way.

So what?

It doesn't necessarily make people stupid. There's an incredible variety of pronunciations of English words across the English-speaking word: it's part of the amazing flexibility of the language, which makes it silly to insist on strict definitions of "correct" pronunciation as there's no real universal standard to base that on.

If you know what the person is saying, then I don't see why it's a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

summerskin wrote: »

Some Irish people pronounce some words a certain way.

Some English people pronounce some words a different way.

So what?

It doesn't necessarily make people stupid. There's an incredible variety of pronunciations of English words across the English-speaking word: it's part of the amazing flexibility of the language, which makes it silly to insist on strict definitions of "correct" pronunciation as there's no real universal standard to base that on.

If you know what the person is saying, then I don't see why it's a problem.

Valid point and well made.

Still bugs the crap out of me though, especially in a business environment or when used by professional broadcasters.

You thought that was an attack? Jesus, no wonder you guys start so many wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Love to watch 'fillums' on the telly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Pronunciation can be all down to regional accents, fine. However the amount of times I've seen people go out of their way to spell 'thought' as 'taught' is ****ing baffling.

i.e: "I taught it was spelt this way"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I am pie wrote: »
    Pronunciation can be all down to regional accents, fine. However the amount of times I've seen people go out of their way to spell 'thought' as 'taught' is ****ing baffling.

i.e: "I taught it was spelt this way"

Your right. There spelling it the wrong way. ;)

LordSutch wrote: »
    Why is it that some Irish people have a problem with the TH sound? by which I mean that sometimes people insert a TH where it shouldnt be (Heigth) for example, then the same person might say True (meaning Through)! Invariably the reason given will be something to do with the Irish/Gaelic language in the subconsious mind of an Irish peron! < I dont buy this.

Surely if you are able to say the TH sound, then that can't be the explanation as to why you can say it on some words, but not in udders :D

Its just an accent thing. like how various english ones cant pronounce 'H'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its just an accent thing. like how various english ones cant pronounce 'H'.

I'm not so sure though, take Matt Cooper on the radio who is perfectly capable of saying 'This & that' while in the same sentence he will say 'True-out' meaning Throughout, he will also say Thought when he means Taught, (I was Thought Irish in school) would be an example!

PS: Sorry to pick on that presenter, but he's a good example of what I'm talking about.

Advertisement