Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Pronunciations.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not so sure though, take Matt Cooper on the radio who is perfectly capable of saying 'This & that' while in the same sentence he will say 'True-out' meaning Throughout, he will also say Thought when he means Taught (I was Thought Irish in school) would be an example!

PS: Sorry to pick on that presenter, but he's a good example of what I'm talking about.

I dunno, maybe ask him. Probably a bit like some English people say they live in an 'ouse but can still say H from steps. Accent

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

I think yogurt is the worst, as in yog-urt rather than yo-gurt,
    or aranges instead of Oranges

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

People who say schedule as shedule instead of skedule

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fuglywugly

The usual Draw-da ones;
    Maaaa s baaaaa
    staaaa baaaaa

And Bill Cullen pronouncing waffle - waff-ill

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

lurry instead of lorry
    eyetalian instead of italian
    euros instead of euro
    of an evening eg i love to go walking of an evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

lurry instead of lorry
    euros instead of euro

What's wrong with Euros?

1 Euro; 2 Euros.

What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

summerskin wrote: »
    Never heard "turd" "troath" "heighth" "threadmill" "chimley" or "modren" until I moved to Ireland.

It's atrocious over here and people use this Hiberno-English excuse instead of acknowledging stupidity.

I love the word turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

lurry instead of lorry
    euros instead of euro

That's really just old-fashioned and quaint, and still pretty common.
    It's still considered to be correct, and certainly not a mistake.

I don't use it myself, but I quite like it :).
    Originally posted by born2bwild
    What's wrong with Euros?

1 Euro; 2 Euros.

What am I missing?

I think that "euro" is the official plural, simply because most countries who use the currency don't make plurals in their native languages by adding "s."

"Euros" is so commonly used here though that it's quite acceptable. It also just makes more sense for most English-speakers and therefore comes more naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wurly wrote: »
    I know both are acceptable but it really gets on my tits when people pronounce lickrish (liquorice) as lickiriss. grrr

I haven't heard anyone say that word for years so I have avoided the hell that you have to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

People who say schedule as shedule instead of skedule

That's odd, I'm usually annoyed when people don't pronounce it correctly.:P

• Advertisement

summerskin wrote: »
    Never heard "turd" "troath" "heighth" "threadmill" "chimley" or "modren" until I moved to Ireland.

It's atrocious over here and people use this Hiberno-English excuse instead of acknowledging stupidity.

Chimley is a dialect word. It wouldn't be acceptable to write it in an English exam but there are plenty of examples of it recorded in literature. Used by people in speech it does no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

That's really just old-fashioned and quaint, and still pretty common.
    It's still considered to be correct, and certainly not a mistake.

I don't use it myself, but I quite like it :).

I use it myself, and there is definitely nothing wrong with it.

I've always thought pronunciation errors were down to a persons dialect. In turn, I think some spell with their dialect also. 'Pacific' has already been mentioned in this thread, and I've heard people say it and spell it the same way.

Abi wrote: »

I've always thought pronunciation errors were down to a persons dialect. In turn, I think some spell with their dialect also. 'Pacific' has already been mentioned in this thread, and I've heard people say it and spell it the same way.

"Could of" and "taught" instead of "thought" would be prime examples of that too.

Written errors like that bug me a lot more than pronunciation errors for some reason. Maybe it's because they suggest someone doesn't take a bit of time to think about what they're writing or review it. (EDIT: he says, then ten minutes later has to fix a typo)

But if I hear someone pronounce the "h" in "Thailand" or pronounce "th" as "t" then I don't really care, as they're either making an understandable mistake or simply speaking in the manner in which they've been brought up to speak. And usually it's still easy to understand what they're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

born2bwild wrote: »
    What's wrong with Euros?

1 Euro; 2 Euros.

What am I missing?

If I remember correctly, it's always "euro". I seem to remember hearing it somewhere as the Euro was being introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Gumbi wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, it's always "euro". I seem to remember hearing it somewhere as the Euro was being introduced.

You're not remembering it correctly, at the time of the introduction the EU Commission issued a statement saying that either was acceptable, in response to this same stupid question being raised. The currency is called the Euro, but there's no reason it can't be pluralised. We had the punt and traded in punts, pound, pounds and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Fillum instead of Film.

If you can't pronounce it, call it a movie for Gods sake.

Giselle wrote: »
    Fillum instead of Film.

If you can't pronounce it, call it a movie for Gods sake.

It's just a dialect word, and not only in Ireland. No need to get upset.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-318599.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

No

when uttered in response to a request for anal intercourse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hibernianeggs

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who read these all out loud trying to get the right annoying pronunciation?

Not anymore you're not:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Abi wrote: »

If it's correct in an alternative dialect then surely it's not an error? There's no dialect where 'Pacific' means specific.

• Advertisement

If it's correct in an alternative dialect then surely it's not an error? There's no dialect where 'Pacific' means specific.

I copied this from the Urban Dictionary.

pacific

The way people who aren't smart (but think they are) say "specific". Used mostly by people who elect to represent themselves during a criminal trial, and dummies who don't understand questions during a job interview and want to buy more time in order to think of a good bull-**** lie. You should never correct someone who says "pacific" instead of "specific" because it is a very easy way to instantly guage IQ.

Uh... I don't know which robbery you are talking about Your Honor. Can you please be more pacific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

michelin star/ meeeeeeeshaaaalin star resturant

luckyfrank wrote: »
    michelin star/ meeeeeeeshaaaalin star resturant

That seems pretty close to the original French pronunciation, which surely has some claims to legitimacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

That seems pretty close to the original French pronunciation, which surely has some claims to legitimacy.

No it doesnt it's mitchalin, riiiiiiiiiiiiight

I would go with Mitchelin but what is acceptable can change over time and two or more forms of a pronunciation can be valid. Some people would say we don't use Paree for Paris so why should we use Mishalan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

"Shives" instead of chives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clownman

Soturday instead of Saturday,and heinegen instead of heineken

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Batsy wrote: »
    It looks like I've hit a nerve.

It seems to be okay for posters on this thread to write things like "and when british people put an r at the end of words...like hannar instead of just hanna" and "When people (usually English) add "k" to "ng" words, and random "r"s to words where there are none. Examples: "Nothingk, anythingk, waitingk, etc" but when someone mocks the way the Irish speak that person is suddenly attacked.

It seems like mocking the way the English speak is fine, but mocking the way the irish speak isn't.

Question is do people watch films or Fil-ems or do you have a gararrge or garridge.

Dunno why people mock other people to be onnest, bur it's fun ain't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 doomsday

:Ddo ellifinks go to the nanimal hostibil if they get hurt while excapin?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Mod-ren instead of modern really annoys me!

Advertisement