Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Obama's Face Be Added To Mount Rushmore??

• 15-01-2012 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Does anyone here think Obama's face should be added to the top of Mount Rushmore??

First of all the guy his presidency is historic and the guy simply gives amazing speeches. The guy is ludicrously popular around the world, especially here in Ireland where people were almost in tears when he won. He maybe can even eclipse Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and become the most historic figure to the human race of all time. Everywhere I go around university everyone simply adores him.

I mean he did win the Nobel Peace Prize afterall so I'm just thinking this might be next right??

Should Obama's Face Be Added To Mount Rushmore? 48 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 48 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

you on the crazy juice????? NNOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I can taste the contempt for him bubbling under in that post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hitler gave amazing speaches as well. Didn't exactly work out for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I don't think theres that much obsidian in south dakota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

No.

He's been a poor president. Stick FDR's head up on it and ye'd be talking sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Does anyone here think Obama's face should be added to the top of Mount Rushmore??

First of all the guy his presidency is historic and the guy simply gives amazing speeches. The guy is ludicrously popular around the world, especially here in Ireland where people were almost in tears when he won. He maybe can even eclipse Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and become the most historic figure to the human race of all time. Everywhere I go around university everyone simply adores him.

I mean he did win the Nobel Peace Prize afterall so I'm just thinking this might be next right??

no. absolutely not, you ridiculous person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I positively couldn't give a fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I dont think the mountain is black enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Josephine O Beirnes

As long as its not in O connell street near Danny boy they can stick em where they like, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

No, he'll be remembered as the first black president and that is it, didn't do anything particularly noteworthy during his term in office, oh unless you count the inevitable capture of Osama or the healthcare debacle that the majority of Americans did not want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Sure isn't it a natural wonder of the world... ya can't go messing with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They should add his "not bad" face if they're gonna do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I say throw 'em all up there, even that sissy Ford.

irish-stew wrote: »

God this wins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hes not as popular in the us as he is around the world with other countries. He may be good at speeches,but so were most of the other presidents, so why should he be on the mt. and not jfk or roosevelt etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Hes not as popular in the us as he is around the world with other countries. He may be good at speeches,but so were most of the other presidents, so why should he be on the mt. and not jfk or roosevelt etc?
    What did Kennedy do beside ride Marilyn Monroe?

Actually strike that, he deserves a spot for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Spunge wrote: »
    I dont think the mountain is black enough.

Good to see that your English is improving Luis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

phasers wrote: »

haha I dunno, I just heard he was very popular with the general public apparently a great leader and very likeable.

bb1234567 wrote: »

Kennedy shuck up the establishment.... He was the last us president to press Israel on the nuclear issue too.

Big mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Considering that he has a very light complexion, the comments about "not being black enough" are just plain dumb and ridiculous.

As to the Mount Rushmore, I would go see it but I would not support any further developments to the mountain. I have friends who are Lakota and Dakota and those mountains and hills belong to them per the Ft. Laramie Treaty. No matter how much the government has paid for them, that monument represents another broken promise made by the federal government to Indian people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He was shot in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Would you then have to paint it to match his skin colour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If he made speeches like that... yes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

For the record I still don't know why he won the Nobel Peace Prize. Anyhow, the reasoning behind why Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt were on there is given as follows:
    Between October 4, 1927, and October 31, 1941, Gutzon Borglum and 400 workers sculpted the colossal 60 foot (18 m) high carvings of U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln to represent the first 150 years of American history. These presidents were selected by Borglum because of their role in preserving the Republic and expanding its territory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

OP forgot the "This is stupid" option :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

The fact that such a 'historic' president is in danger of being a one-term president says it all really - just shows that he has done absolutely nothing of note. Just the fact that people are speaking of Romney as a credible challenger (whether that will actually come to pass or not) shows how disappointing Obama's tenure has been. Obama's apologists would blame Republicans in Congress for using blocking tactics, but he is the president and it is his job to overcome that kind of thing . In that respect he has spectacularly failed.

^^^ Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think its very annoying that every single time he gives a speech on anything, its over-killed with rhetoric - could you imagine if someone you knew was that annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The guy is ludicrously popular around the world, especially here in Ireland

Some people get fooled by spoofers

Did you vote for Bertie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Personally, no. He has been a "solidish" president with some good points but some bad ones too. Nothing ground breaking.
    First of all the guy his presidency is historic and the guy simply gives amazing speeches.

Kennedy, Reagan, and Clinton were very good speakers and they're not on the mount. You have to be incredibly accomplished in domestic and foreign policy and to go down well among the public and history.
    The guy is ludicrously popular around the world

Not quite. He isn't that popular especially at home.
    He maybe can even eclipse Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and become the most historic figure to the human race of all time.

Debatable but I can't see it.
    Everywhere I go around university everyone simply adores him.

What University?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

he may be black, and thats historic, but hes not a great president

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RichieC wrote: »
    I can taste the contempt for him bubbling under in that post..

The OP basically reads "I am bad at trolling".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Personally, they should leave that mountain alone.

With regards to Obama's worth as president, I wouldn't rate him too highly. A lot of rhetoric and promises at the beginning, but few notable 'big' achievements whilst in office. Of course, that's not all necessarily due to himself solely, but I think a 'great' president could probably achieve what he wants to achieve despite great opposition. This would've applied to Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln, although I'm not really sure what Roosevelt did to entitle his own face on the mountain. Maybe because he was recently president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

therein lies the problem, he's all mouth and no trousers.
    the US is no better off than when he took office, and hides it behind his speeches and false optimism.
    not too dissimilar from our current government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I positively couldn't give a fcuk.
    I agree with this more than any statement ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

A complete lightweight conman way out of his depth who managed to convince the gullible 'facebook generation' to get behind him because they think he's Will Fckn Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

latenia wrote: »
    A complete lightweight conman way out of his depth who managed to convince the gullible 'facebook generation' to get behind him because they think he's Will Fckn Smith.

to be fair , if I lived in the US I would be a republican, but even I wouldnt have voted for mccain , if it was obama vs ron paul youd have a very close election in my book , most of the drippy hippys would be stuck between standing up for minorities or standing up for legal weed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hitler excelled modern medicine years ahead of its time. People seem to forget this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Absolutely not.

His presidency has been lacklustre at best. He has achieved absolutely nothing of significance either before or during his presidency.

I cant explain his popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

he may be black, and thats historic ...

He's not very black though, he is as much white as he is black.

Calling Mixed race people 'black' by default is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

God no. I'm a fan, but he's been average at best. Won't be remembered for anything other than his skin colour in 100 years.

Skid wrote: »
    He's not very black though, he is as much white as he is black.

Calling Mixed race people 'black' by default is wrong.

He self identifies as African American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

He maybe can even eclipse Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and become the most historic figure to the human race of all time.

Are they really the most historic figures of all time?
    Hitler excelled modern medicine years ahead of its time. People seem to forget this.

Excelled it? What are you trying to say? Propelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Are they really the most historic figures of all time?

Excelled it? What are you trying to say? Propelled?
    Yep, I must have changed my train of thought typing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

JFK before any of them other smucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

here in Ireland where people were almost in tears when he won

Hope they got slapped good and proper for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

his ears are too big imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

There was talk about Ronald Reagan going up there. Not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

When I saw the title of the thread I knew the OP had less than 50 posts. Why is that?

In answer to the question, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They'd put Franklin Pierce up there before Obama, people bought too much into the hype and have been let down spectacularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement