Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Obama's Face Be Added To Mount Rushmore??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Hope they got slapped good and proper for that.

They were probably tears of joy that McCain didn't get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

I can't look at obama or even listen to him anymore not for one minute, he talks alot of rubbish, it's flowery talks with all the right words and lauguage to reach oridinary people and poetry in it to make it sound like he cares and is relating to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Sindri wrote: »
    He's been a poor president. Stick FDR's head up on it and ye'd be talking sense.

FDR was a terrible president as well. Although if they could put a B*stard like Lincoln up there anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

steve9859 wrote: »
    The fact that such a 'historic' president is in danger of being a one-term president says it all really - just shows that he has done absolutely nothing of note. Just the fact that people are speaking of Romney as a credible challenger (whether that will actually come to pass or not) shows how disappointing Obama's tenure has been. Obama's apologists would blame Republicans in Congress for using blocking tactics, but he is the president and it is his job to overcome that kind of thing . In that respect he has spectacularly failed.
    If, in fact, the president had any real power. He also has to fight the tide of misinformation emanating from the likes of Fox News who seem to equate things like Health Reform with outright communism. Personally, I think his intentions are good, he is being blocked at every turn, but he backtracked on Guantanamo and lets the Israelis walk all over him. I know things aren't so clear-cut but he seems to lack real power in his conviction, I hoped for more when he got elected, I am disappointed.
    That said, I think he deserves another term to prove himself. I also think the Republicans played a blinder in not putting forward a credible candidate last time round, I mean, McCain and Palin, ffs. Were they even trying?? or are they really that stupid.
    I'm sure they were fully aware that any elected President was going to have a hard time of it considering the depth of the recession and the cuts that have to be made.
    In short, yes he has been disappointing, yes he was also blocked, but I'd rather him than a Republican President. As for Rushmore, it's nice for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

FDR was a terrible president as well. Although if they could put a B*stard like Lincoln up there anything is possible.

He wasn't a terrible president.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah, isn't Lincoln not regarded as one of the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

He was a racist.

He wasn't a terrible president.

Of course he was. He unnecessarily prolonged the Great Depression, he began the pyramid scheme that is Social Security, he seized the domestic stock of gold, he created a huge amount of cartels, he placed an oil embargo on Japan which lead to the attack on Pearl Harbour an the US' entry into WWII, he imprisoned thousands of Americans based solely on their race and he broke the unwritten rule of presidents only serving two terms.

Many historians do rank him as the best, depends on what criteria you use to rank presidents really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Does anyone here think Obama's face should be added to the top of Mount Rushmore??

First of all the guy his presidency is historic and the guy simply gives amazing speeches. The guy is ludicrously popular around the world, especially here in Ireland where people were almost in tears when he won. He maybe can even eclipse Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and become the most historic figure to the human race of all time. Everywhere I go around university everyone simply adores him.

I mean he did win the Nobel Peace Prize afterall so I'm just thinking this might be next right??

University? Sounds more like clown college. :rolleyes:

He gives amazing speeches? Ffs....so what? It's not like he even writes them.

He promised the Palestinians an independent state within twelve months. Yet he backs Israel in their continuing land theft in the occupied West Bank.

He backed the Egyptian dictatorship, and the Tunisian one and had no problem with Ben Ali and his cronies fleeing to live in Saudi Arabia with a reported $11Bn stolen from the Tunisian economy.

He backed Saudi Arabia's invasion of Bahrain.

He extended the US wars in the Middle East with the murderous drone campign now in operation in Yemen and Pakistan.

He has continued with the human rights abuses at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba which he promised he would close.

And last but not least, he has ordered the extra-judicial execution of a US citizen which is illegal. He should actually be charged with murder.

"Change we can believe in"? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

he placed an oil embargo on Japan which lead to the attack on Pearl Harbour an the US' entry into WWII

Come on now

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Obama is extremely unpopular in the U.S.A. - people only like him here because he gave us some Bob the Builder as gaeilge and made us feel a bit happy for a day.

Anyway, he wasn't a bad president, but he didn't achieve very much either. He promised Americans the sun, moon and stars and when he failed to live up to the hype he was deemed a failure.

So if his face were to be added to Mt Rushmore it would merely be because he was black rather than added anything noteworthy to American history. That is the wrong way to go about changing attitudes about racism. I would say it's like patting him on the back and giving him a lollipop and saying "He did such a good job for a black guy, anyway. Now lets get the white dudes back in office to fix it up."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Obama is extremely unpopular in the U.S.A. - people only like him here because he gave us some Bob the Builder as gaeilge and made us feel a bit happy for a day.

Anyway, he wasn't a bad president, but he didn't achieve very much either. He promised Americans the sun, moon and stars and when he failed to live up to the hype he was deemed a failure.

So if his face were to be added to Mt Rushmore it would merely be because he was black rather than added anything noteworthy to American history. That is the wrong way to go about changing attitudes about racism. I would say it's like patting him on the back and giving him a lollipop and saying "He did such a good job for a black guy, anyway. Now lets get the white dudes back in office to fix it up."

I just love the comments about how many broken promises he has made and how he hasn't achieved much:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I just love the comments about how many broken promises he has made and how he hasn't achieved much:

I have no idea of the veracity of that link but you do realise it shows that Obama has altered, broken or stalled more promises than he has kept, right?

You should bear in mind that the kept promises are likely to be some of the most straightforward. Not promises like repeal of the Bush tax cuts and closing Guantanamo Bay.

He has made some positive, difficult decisions, but you're fooling yourself if you think that politifact analysis is much of a tribute.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hasn't achieved much that is noteworthy ;)

later10 wrote: »
    I have no idea of the veracity of that link but you do realise it shows that Obama has altered, broken or stalled more promises than he has kept, right?

You should bear in mind that the kept promises are likely to be some of the most straightforward. Not promises like repeal of the Bush tax cuts and closing Guantanamo Bay.

He has made some positive, difficult decisions, but you're fooling yourself if you think that politifact analysis is much of a tribute.

Promise kept - 160
    Promise broken - 56

When people refer to him as being a failure, they are talking about his failure to keep his promises, considering that he has kept more than he has broken, that is a good thing. Compromises are a necessary element of the political system, why would they be a strike against him? As to stalled promises, we have a complex political process with alliances changing from day to day; again, why would this be a strike against him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

Any chance of a crude photoshop of Obama's face on Mt Rushmore? Only then will we know for sure! I'd do it myself but I'm far too lazy. I will happily accept partial credit for any effort though! :D

Hasn't achieved much that is noteworthy ;)

To you, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

But Obama is a prophet. We should at least give him another peace prize. And shur there's no-one as Irish as Barack Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Promise kept - 160
    Promise broken - 56

When people refer to him as being a failure, they are talking about his failure to keep his promises
    Not at all.

I'd include stalled promises and serious compromise as broken promises as well.

That's politics. You have to accept when you didn't deliver. Nobody expects you to deliver 100%, but breaking, stalling or otherwise not fully delivering on promises has to be accepted as a valid criticism.

I think Obama's Presidency has been a massive disappointment, particularly in terms of economic policy. His entire tenure can be characterised as a reactive Presidency, always slightly behind the curve, with too many broken or unfulfilled promises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

When it comes to Obama (and, indeed, every other subject in the world), Dylan Moran says it best:

People celebrated his election as if it was the second coming of Jesus (another man whose achievements were somewhat exaggerated!) It was always gonna be an anticlimax after that.

Has he been perfect as president? No.
    Worthy of Mount Rushmore? Not yet, certainly. He might do something amazing in his second term, though.
    But would any of his Republican rivals do a better job? I very much doubt it.
    joshrogan wrote: »
    No, he'll be remembered as the first black president and that is it, didn't do anything particularly noteworthy during his term in office, oh unless you count the inevitable capture of Osama or the healthcare debacle that the majority of Americans did not want.

In a country where the likes of Rick Santorum are seen as viable candidates for president, I think it's fair to consider that what the majority wants is not always the best option! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Yes he does belong on Mount Rushmore...

As the mole on the right cheek of Abraham Lincoln.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

What?!

already looks like it has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Does anyone here think Obama's face should be added to the top of Mount Rushmore??

First of all the guy his presidency is historic and the guy simply gives amazing speeches. The guy is ludicrously popular around the world, especially here in Ireland where people were almost in tears when he won. He maybe can even eclipse Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and become the most historic figure to the human race of all time. Everywhere I go around university everyone simply adores him.

I mean he did win the Nobel Peace Prize afterall so I'm just thinking this might be next right??
    You have absolutely not a patented clue what you are talking about. Do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If the tyrant Abraham Lincoln can be on it, then I don't see why all the presidents can't be on it. Can't be much worse than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What's that about Keith?

Some reference to the Scots Irish who fought for the South?

Not stirring, genuinely asking here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jeez, might as well go ahead and just give him the title of God.

The guy as a president has failed, the Americans hate him and he has failed on some pretty big promises he made. The country is no better off, in fact it's debt is larger since he started and then there was that healthcare craìc that pissed everyone off.

Other than being black and for being in office when Osama was killed he'll be pretty forgettable in terms of other presidents. It's not surprising given the over-hyped response to him during the run-up to the elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Hes not as popular in the us as he is around the world with other countries. He may be good at speeches,but so were most of the other presidents, so why should he be on the mt. and not jfk or roosevelt etc?

he and the other presidents dont write their own speeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Should Obama's Face Be Added To Mount Rushmore??

For what?....Failure?

Never has a politician who promised so much, delivered so little. If there ever was someone who could talk the talk and couldn't walk the walk, it's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

Standing in the way of Palestinian statehood puts the man in the vermin category for me. Would prefer to see his head on a spike. Nobel Peace Prize has been relegated to junk status.

Take that as a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

People think because he's the US President that he has loads of power, he doesn't really! Considering the mess he was left with I'd say he has done okay.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

will it fcuk be next, next up is obamas puppeteering to further deny its own people and people in foreign lands basic human rights!!

Change!! Me hole he changed anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What's that about Keith?

Some reference to the Scots Irish who fought for the South?

Not stirring, genuinely asking here
    No. A tyrant who declared war on the Southern states which was against the constitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some [*some*] Irish people have an ignorant and distorted view of the Presidency and in particular Obama's actual legacy.

We had a historic election because a black guy became the president. He gave a good speech or two, that was written by his staffers. He knows how to deliver canned speeches. Good for him. He's a more than a little less salient in conversation. In fact you can pretty well distinguish Canned Obama and Fresh Obama. Fresh Obama stutters over his sentences, which usually start off very slow, with broken "Uhhhh"s and then he races to finish the second half of the thought. So let's cut the garbage that he's the second coming of Moses or something delivering edicts from the top of a volcano.

Secondly the guy gets the peace prize forrrrrrr......

-Kills Osama
    -Kills Pirates
    -"Intervenes" in Libya
    -Drumming up a war with Iran
    -Pulling troops out of Iraq
    -Keeping Gitmo going

All of which seems pretty par for the course, really. Take from the left what you give to the right and all that.

Domestically I won't even bore you with the details, but it hasn't worked out. Go ahead and look at the state of the Car Industry. Look at the Chevy Volt, each Volt (as cool as the concept is) still potentially costs the taxpayer as much as $250,000. Per car. Then you had perfectly good cars being junked out for the Cash for Clunkers Scheme. Oh, and Solyndra. You should definitely google Solyndra. For every good thing done (like the CARD Act) they've messed up so many other things. Healthcare, was it really necessary to try and do so much with one single piece of legislation? Why are we continuing to renew Bush Tax Cuts or the USA PATRIOT Act?

I could go on.

Point is Obama deserves no special recognition as a President, race aside. Which is not enough to warrant jack sh*t.

Not only that but it seems a bit premature to install someone on a national monument of that magnitude when they are for one, still alive, and for one more there has been no time to assess their lasting legacy.

This whole thread irritates me with the levels of ignorance on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

K-9 wrote: »
    Considering the mess he was left with I'd say he has done okay.

So just keep blaming the other guy until you're out.

What a new dynamic politician Obama is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Been a huge disappointment. He'll be remembered for being the first black president and not being George Bush !!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He self identifies as African American.

But he is African-American, just like Charlize Theron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

c_man wrote: »
    So just keep blaming the other guy until you're out.

What a new dynamic politician Obama is!

:D FG and the Tories do it!

I'd say he has been handed the worst recession in nearly a century and it will take time for measures to work. People have this idea of this all powerful US President, it doesn't really tie in with reality. I'm sure McCain would have it all sorted by now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

I am speechless at how many people still respect this war criminal.

I bet most of them are newspaper journalists or RTE staff who voted yes.

Been a huge disappointment. He'll be remembered for being the first black president and not being George Bush !!!!

More like he'll be remembered for being George Bush's third term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Isn't it funny that the Americans are so religious/superstitious and yet have no respect for the sky fairy they believe created everything? If they had any respect for the creator, they'd leave the mountains he/she/it created the way they are and not carve them into the shapes of dead presidents' heads.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The question won't arise for quite a while anyway, as Obama could live for another 40 years at least.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Obamas Presidency is a total and definitive failure. Statements to the contrary are nothing but ignorant drivel from an uniformed poster using up braincells on the mainstream media.

Ron Paul will wipe the floor with him in the October debates. So much so that he'll wish he was never born to experience this overwhelming humiliation, the sly corporatist pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would any of the 41 people who voted yes like to give their reasons as to why they feel he should be added to Mt Rushmore? All the arguments thus far have been against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

KeithAFC wrote: »
    No. A tyrant who declared war on the Southern states which was against the constitution.

Yet it was the South who fired the first shots of the damn war, there at Fort Sumter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They were probably tears of joy that McCain didn't get it.

I was certainly verklempt watching the inauguration, especially when they kept showing really old black ladies in the crowd in tears of joy. If he done nothing else for the four years, the joy his inauguration brought to these old ladies who were old enough to remember the jim crows laws was worth the admission alone.

However, any honest look at his presidency shows that he's better than GWB and pretty average compare to all the other 42 presidents.

maybe if he's lucky after his terms they will rewrite history to make him seem even better. like they did for Reagan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Obamas Presidency is a total and definitive failure. Statements to the contrary are nothing but ignorant drivel from an uniformed poster using up braincells on the mainstream media.

Ron Paul will wipe the floor with him in the October debates. So much so that he'll wish he was never born to experience this overwhelming humiliation, the sly corporatist pig.

No, it has not, far from that. he is still hovering in the 40s approval, remarkable for a country where the houses and the senates are breaking all time records and single digit approvals.

Ron Paul will never get near a direct debate with the President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I think he's average at best, he's charismatic and a good speaker.

Two things George W. certainly wasn't, which is why I reckon people seem to think he's great. Other than that he's meh.

Glad it was him who won and not Clintons wife anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

obama = bush 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

RichieC wrote: »
    I was certainly verklempt watching the inauguration, especially when they kept showing really old black ladies in the crowd in tears of joy. If he done nothing else for the four years, the joy his inauguration brought to these old ladies who were old enough to remember the jim crows laws was worth the admission alone.

However, any honest look at his presidency shows that he's better than GWB and pretty average compare to all the other 42 presidents.

maybe if he's lucky after his terms they will rewrite history to make him seem even better. like they did for Reagan.

Yeah, I'd agree. I think it was probably because he was set up as (and, to be fair, set himself up as) the anti-W that people view his presidency (both in this thread and elsewhere) with such vitriol. If it was McCain, or any of the other potential democratic candidates, I can't see the same reaction being displayed. American presidents do as they've always done. Personally, I hope for the lesser of the two evils and hope there's not a huge amount of destruction at the end of 4/8 years. What a beautiful dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think paul will be chosen as the republican candidate

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The whiff of racism and general bigotry against minorities on this thread is almost overpowering.:(

No, Obama doesn't merit being on Mount Rushmore but neither does any US president since Roosevelt. These days, the president does not have the power that they enjoyed in times past due to the political system in the US.

Has Obama been a good President? Weighing everything up, I would say yes. He's certainly far better than George W Bush was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement