Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent but Cheap Primer & Translucent Power + MAC Foundation?

• 15-01-2012 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

As it says in the title, I'm looking for a decent primer and translucent power and I'm on a budget so for the two of them I'd be hoping to spend a maximum of €25... if thats possible!?
    Also is a primer actually necessary? Does it stop your face going shiney or would a good translucent powder be ok by itself?

I also have another question, it's my birthday soon and I'd love to try one of Macs foundations as I need a new foundation. Are they worth the money? What type of mac foundation would you reccommend for someone with pale, and normal/oily skin? I'd like a medium coverage, nothing heavy or cakey but not very light either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

How old are you, if you dont mind the question, not that its relevant - if you are late teens early 20's then a good tinted moisuriser can look better than foundation..
    Primers are amazing, the GOSH one is great, they do make a difference alone or under foundation.
    Mineral powder is a good alternative, try Avon for example if you are on a budget.
    Steer clear of buying any MAC products online, dont be tempted by what seems like a good price, there are way too many fakes out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 carrie_

Thanks for the reply! I'm 19 but I have tried tinted moisturizers but they just don't look right on me, my skin is a bit oily to begin with so they dont suit me at all.

Where would I buy mineral powder or Gosh products by the way, I've never actually seen them :o

I rarely buy make up but I really want to get some decent stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Josephine O Beirnes

I get the mac matchmaster foundation, i find it excellent for my dry skin, gives great coverage and lasts all day, and has that nice dewy look, i dont use a primer, i find if i use a good moisturiser my foundation will stay on, also i spritz water on my face after my make up is applied, works wonders,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

For translucent powder I use Rimmells Stay Matte powder. I also have a MAC one but find the rimmel one just as good if not better, only about €6.

I've used primers before (l'oreal, gosh, smashbox) but don't find they do much tbh, as long as I have a good foundation on, either MAC studio fix or Estee Lauder double wear (don't use powder with this except on just nose 'cause its quite dry), my makeup stays on quite well.

I do top up my nose/t-zone with powder about once or twice a day but usually nothing more

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use MAC Studio Sculpt foundation and find a little goes a very long way, I don't feel (or look, I hope!) caked. I wear their palest shade, NC15. MAC also make a foundation called Face & Body which is water based and very light on the skin. It comes in a massive bottle and lasts ages. It can also be used on the body, I like to buff a little on my my shoulders and neck insted of fake tan. Only thing is that it doesn't have the best coverage, so you will need a good concealer if you're prone to spots or (like me), a bit of a red nose!

Powder wise, Rimmel translucent is very good. It's under €7 I think. Powder can help deal with shiny parts on your face, while primer creates a smooth base, allowing your make up to stay put longer.

I would also recommend Bobbi Brown or Nars for pale shades of foundation. Stay away from Benefit, from my experience they're not pale friendly for foundation!

If you can go into MAC, or any counter, early during the week you can get a better chance at getting some personal attention, rather than say a Saturday afternoon. Brown Thomas and Arnotts (doesn't have MAC though) have the best selection of cosmetics counters in Dublin. There's a mineral make up counter, can't think of the brand, in BT2. Ask for samples, and bring some empty tubs if you can to take away samples. Foundation always looks different in natural light compared to the artificial lights in deparment stores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I used to swear by mac but have found it's given me the worst acne (at 23) and when I expressed my concern to the girl at the mac counter, she dismissed me saying I needed to try the new foundation and it would be better. I know it's mac foundation giving It to me as when I stopped wearing it my skin cleared up and when I used it again within 2 days my skin was back to being spotty. I've actually got scars on my chin and jawline and to say the girl from mac didn't give a hoot is an understatement.

I love the gosh primer and have switched back to Dior forever (010) foundation which I love. It's light to medium coverage, but is amazing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Awear stock gosh

Advertisement