Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

KILMOREAC wrote: »
    The next race coming up in Wexford is our little 10k, details here http://kilmoreathletics.com/index.php/2012. You can book on-line or on the day. Full range of prizes for categories and teams. If are unsure you are up to running the full distance then why not enter as a walker and jog as much as you can. Our aim for our race is to give back as much as we can to the runners and if we make any profit at all then it goes back in to juvenile athletics in the area.

This is a great 10k and has it all, from a really good course that is as flat as ur gonna get for a 10k to plenty of food after and results going up quick online.....plus they always seem to get a lovely evening for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KILMOREAC

This is a great 10k and has it all, from a really good course that is as flat as ur gonna get for a 10k to plenty of food after and results going up quick online.....plus they always seem to get a lovely evening for it :)

This is going to sound like a 'mutual admiration society' now. Thanks for the nice words BB. We have to say similar about the 'Mick Murphy' race the following week-end. Same ideals as KAC, the race is put on to give as much back to the runners as well. Prizes right across the board and a great spread after as well. Put on by a bunch that are passionate about distance running.

Results of our race are at http://kilmoreathletics.com/index.php/2012
    Thanks for all the support we had a record turn out and it ran very smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Races with an AAI or IMRA permit
    Name|Distance|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Mick Murphy 4 mile|4 Mile|Yes|Sat, 15th Sep|SBR AC|Ferns|17
    Murrintown 10k|10k|No|Sun, 30th Sep |Murrintown NS|Murrintown|15
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 10th Feb, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|?
    Hope and Dream 10|10 Mile|Yes|Sun, 24th Mar, 2013|Hope/Dream charity|Enniscorthy|?
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|No|Sat, 13th July, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10

Leagues and fun runs
    Wexford 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 23rd Sep|Faythe Harriers GAA|Wexford Town|20
    Celtic Link 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 24th Feb, 2013|St James GAA club|Duncannon|20
    Rosslare 10k|10k|Yes|Mon, 1st April, 2013|Wexford Tri club|Rosslare Strand|?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

Well done to Kilmore A/c on the weekend - best road race in Wexford this year? I can't think of one better. Lovely course and super finish down thru' the village. Whoever is doing your IT stuff (twitter/email info/website) is doing a great job as well thanks. Already in the calendar for 2013!

• Advertisement

Glad you liked it uphill. Everything seemed to go good for us this year including the most important thing, the weather. Never thought we would get over the 200 mark. Our location is bad as we are down in the corner and we don't have that many athletes out running in the other races so we have to work that bit harder on promoting it. There was a great buzz afterwards in the hall as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Just a little confused over this one.

It's says on the flyers and Run Ireland that the race is off at 5 , but I thought I heard somewhere that the walkers were off at 5 and the runners at 5.30.
    Also there is an 800M race for 8-16 year old's but there is no time start time stated for this.

Just hoping someone could clarify this. Thanks.

Cooldog wrote: »
    Just a little confused over this one.

It's says on the flyers and Run Ireland that the race is off at 5 , but I thought I heard somewhere that the walkers were off at 5 and the runners at 5.30.
    Also there is an 800M race for 8-16 year old's but there is no time start time stated for this.

Just hoping someone could clarify this. Thanks.

Hi Cooldog, no the race will start at 5pm.....there is no walk this year...there has been a walk pretty much every other year but we decided not to have it this year...of course anyone who would like to walk the race are more than welcome but they will be starting at the same time as the runner, 5pm

The 800m race for 8 to 16yos is at 4-30pm.....it's just a matter of the kids turning up on the start line (no need to enter) and running the 800m and then all finishers get a commerative medal

Hope this clarifies things :)

Just added in the Beach/bog run. Road races starting to get scarce now. The Murrintown 10k is the last AAI sactioned race for 2012 coming up.

Murrintown 10k|10k|No|Sun, 30th Sep |Murrintown NS|Murrintown|15
    County novice cross country||No|Sun, 7th Oct|AAI Wexford|Ferns|
    County intermediate cross country||No|Sun, 21st Oct|AAI Wexford|Kilrane|
    County senior cross country||No|Sun, 16th Dec|AAI Wexford|Enniscorthy|
    County master cross country||No|Sun 6th Jan, 2013|AAI Wexford|Kilmore|
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 10th Feb, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|?
    Hope and Dream 10|10 Mile|Yes|Sun, 24th Mar, 2013|Hope/Dream charity|Enniscorthy|?
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|No|Sat, 13th July, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|?
    Kilmore 10k|10k|No|Sat, 10th Sep, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|?

Leagues and fun runs
    Wexford 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 23rd Sep|Faythe Harriers GAA|Wexford Town|20
    Beach/Bog run|6k|No|Sat, 27th Oct|Castletown GAA|Castletown|20

There doesn't appear to that much activity or discussion on this thread any more. Don't see much point in keeping the race list up to date anymore as all the races appear on RunIreland these days anyway. It was a useful exercise before.

• Advertisement

wextipp wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to that much activity or discussion on this thread any more. Don't see much point in keeping the race list up to date anymore as all the races appear on RunIreland these days anyway. It was a useful exercise before.

Yeah it's strange alright Wextipp.... and particularly when there's still a few good/novel races around the corner..... perhaps plenty of people just get a bit afraid when ''cross country'' is mentioned :P although having said that, in the local paper this week it says they're expecting 1000 people to turn up to the beach bog run in castletown (paper never refusing ink???!!! but supposed to be 200 signed up already!!!) so a 6km race like that sounds a lot harder to me than women running 4km or men running 6km in a decent stubble field on oct 7th :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone got a link to the results of the Murrintown 10K?

Oryx wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the results of the Murrintown 10K?

Havn't seen then anywhere. yey Best bet is the DMP Facebook Page as they were helping them. No sign of them yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 spriteof1798

I was in a club before outside of Wexford and have just moved to Blackwater from Rosslare. Been thinking about joining a club in Wexford. Anybody recommend one. I am not a serious runner and do the odd 10k or 5k. Looking for someone to train with really so a casual running group would do either.

Anyone know anything about the beach/bog run thing. I see on the paper a while back that there are 1000 people entered aleady. Is it booked-out yet can anyone tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

I was in a club before outside of Wexford and have just moved to Blackwater from Rosslare. Been thinking about joining a club in Wexford. Anybody recommend one. I am not a serious runner and do the odd 10k or 5k. Looking for someone to train with really so a casual running group would do either.

I think the best club for the casual runner would be Slaney Olympic based in Enniscorthy town spirtof1798 - a lot of runners of all levels and they meet up regularly. I also find them a very friendly and active club and have a great summer league - check out their website. they have members all over the place.
    St. Killeeans based in Crossabeg have a very nice track which is close to you and you can use free gratis there but not really geared for the casual runner as they have a small adult club with serious runners (good guys as well BTW).

The Bog run - I can't see them getting anything close to 1000 but best of luck to them - saw the clips on facebook and looks like good craic.

UpHill wrote: »
    I think the best club for the casual runner would be Slaney Olympic
    Thanks, sounds like good advice. I'll check them out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi guys, does anyone have info ie route, flat or not . on dunngannon or tesco 10ks in feb march next year? Looking at them to fit around a plan..

Thanks, sounds like good advice. I'll check them out next year.
    Come up to the back pitch in bellfield gaa pitch on a tue or thur and we will look after you :-) always looking for next members or all levels ps why wait till next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Nialloooo wrote: »
    Hi guys, does anyone have info ie route, flat or not . on dunngannon or tesco 10ks in feb march next year? Looking at them to fit around a plan..

The Duncannon one was run last year. MapMyRun course

I wasn't there (making my 10km debut later on in that year!), but the map my run link, and the race thread here would make it seem that there was a bit of a climb at the end.

The Tesco one, I haven't seen mentioned before. Its obviously a different route to the other town 10kms (the April one run with the half marathon and the Faythe Harriers one) given that it's starting in the Tesco car park. Can't see it being too hilly. Maybe check with the course organisers?

I have both of these courses in my provisional plan for next year too. Having done a grand total of 2 races last year, I have the bug. Might skip Duncannon depending on other events though. And i'm a townie now, so i will do the Tesco one for sure.

• Advertisement

druss wrote: »

The Duncannon one was run last year. MapMyRun course

I wasn't there (making my 10km debut later on in that year!), but the map my run link, and the race thread here would make it seem that there was a bit of a climb at the end.

The Tesco one, I haven't seen mentioned before. Its obviously a different route to the other town 10kms (the April one run with the half marathon and the Faythe Harriers one) given that it's starting in the Tesco car park. Can't see it being too hilly. Maybe check with the course organisers?

I have both of these courses in my provisional plan for next year too. Having done a grand total of 2 races last year, I have the bug. Might skip Duncannon depending on other events though. And i'm a townie now, so i will do the Tesco one for sure.

Cheers for That :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Nialloooo wrote: »
    Come up to the back pitch in bellfield gaa pitch on a tue or thur and we will look after you :-) always looking for next members or all levels ps why wait till next year??

Hey Niall, are ye training through December? Is there a running track at the back pitch in Bellfield?

Ferrycarrig 5|5 Mile|No|Sun, 13th Jan, 2013|Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre (in association with St' Killian's AC|Ferrycarrig|15
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 10th Feb, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|15
    Wexford Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|Ryano Event Management|Wexford Town|35 early bird
    Wexford 10 km|10 km|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|Ryano Event Management|Wexford Town|20 early bird
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|30 early bird
    Strawberry Five Mile|5 mile|Yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|20 early bird
    Kilmore 10k|10k|No|Sat, 14th Sep, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|?

Leagues and fun runs

St. Stephens Day 10k Charity Road Run|10km|?|Wed, 26th Dec, 2012|?|Castletown,Gorey|10
    Duncannon 8km Turkey Burner|8km|?|Sun, 30th Dec, 2012|?|Duncannon|20
    Tesco Wexford 10km|10km|?|Sun, 10th Mar, 2013|Aware|Wexford|20
    Duncannon 6k run/walk with Brian Kerr|6k|Yes|Fri, 9th August, 2013|Duncannon Community Park|Duncannon|15

I've had a go at updating this. In partial answer to a question posed by wextipp earlier in this thread, I found this format very useful when I was first looking at doing a few races during the year. Firstly, some things don't turn up on Run Ireland. Secondly, I think it is handy to have things in this format here on boards.

I am sure that i've probably left a few errors in here, and in some cases I was unsure on the chip and organiser details, so i've just left it blank. Feel free to correct!

I did two races in 2012, both in Wexford. I hope to do a lot more in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Druss,

I'm not sure how to update your table but the organisers of the Ferrycarrig "5" are Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre (in association with St' Killian's AC).

The race funds the Centre which is a great local cause.

Podge83 wrote: »
    Druss,

I'm not sure how to update your table but the organisers of the Ferrycarrig "5" are Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre (in association with St' Killian's AC).

The race funds the Centre which is a great local cause.

Fixed. Will it be a chip event?

I'm thinking about this one as a warm up to a possible attempt at the Dungarvan 10Mile.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Druss,

Not chipped but the course is a good one and the best officials will be doing the timing with official counting equipment etc.

druss wrote: »

I've had a go at updating this. In partial answer to a question posed by wextipp earlier in this thread, I found this format very useful when I was first looking at doing a few races during the year. Firstly, some things don't turn up on Run Ireland. Secondly, I think it is handy to have things in this format here on boards.
    Druss, that's great, good to see it being updated again. I have a spreadsheet to generate the tables if you are interested in keeping it updated. It is on Google Docs. If you keep it updated it will generate a column with the table to paste in to boards. Makes life a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Geraldine O'Hanrahans Turkey Trot|4 miles|No|Sun 30th Dec, 2012|Geraldine O'Hanrahans Gaa / United Striders AC|New Ross|E10/E12
    Ferrycarrig 5|5 Mile|No|Sun, 13th Jan, 2013|Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre (in association with St' Killian's AC|Ferrycarrig|15
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 10th Feb, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|15
    Wexford Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|Ryano Event Management|Wexford Town|35 early bird
    Wexford 10 km|10 km|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|Ryano Event Management|Wexford Town|20 early bird
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|30 early bird
    Strawberry Five Mile|5 mile|Yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|20 early bird
    Kilmore 10k|10k|No|Sat, 14th Sep, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|?

Leagues and fun runs

St. Stephens Day 10k Charity Road Run|10km|?|Wed, 26th Dec, 2012|?|Castletown,Gorey|10
    Duncannon 8km Turkey Burner|8km|?|Sun, 30th Dec, 2012|?|Duncannon|20
    Tesco Wexford 10km|10km|?|Sun, 10th Mar, 2013|Aware|Wexford|20
    Duncannon 6k run/walk with Brian Kerr|6k|Yes|Fri, 9th August, 2013|Duncannon Community Park|Duncannon|15

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

if you flag the missing ones I'll add them to the main calendar.

• Advertisement

wextipp wrote: »
    Druss, that's great, good to see it being updated again. I have a spreadsheet to generate the tables if you are interested in keeping it updated. It is on Google Docs. If you keep it updated it will generate a column with the table to paste in to boards. Makes life a little easier.

You mean there is an easier way to do it than wading through HTML code?:pac:

Advertisement