Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 spriteof1798

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Name|Distance|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Wexford Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|DMP AC|Wexford Town|35 early bird
    Wexford 10 km|10 km|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|DMP AC|Wexford Town|20 early bird
    Just one small item, the Wexford half/10k is now officially run by DMP AC. It was handed over to them a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just one small item, the Wexford half/10k is now officially run by DMP AC. It was handed over to them a while back.

Maybe it was officially handed over but I still get emails from Ryano Event Management about it and the entry fee is still higher than other club-organised half marathons (eg Waterford half was E25 a week before it closed vs E35-E40 for Wexford)

Maybe it was officially handed over but I still get emails from Ryano Event Management about it and the entry fee is still higher than other club-organised half marathons (eg Waterford half was E25 a week before it closed vs E35-E40 for Wexford)
    Don't know what that's got to do with anything and let's not start all this again. It's a free world and there is nobody forcing anyone to enter any race. At least be consistant. The Strawberry one is not organised by Slaney Olympic, it is a privately run race. One rule for one ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Don't know what that's got to do with anything and let's not start all this again. It's a free world and there is nobody forcing anyone to enter any race. At least be consistant. The Strawberry one is not organised by Slaney Olympic, it is a privately run race. One rule for one ....

The mistake is, I'm sure, originally my own. I mentioned earlier that I wasn't always 100% sure on these details and have just extrapolated from the event websites.

As Dilbert75 says, a lot of the Wexford Half documentation and correspondence refers to Ryano Event Management and I just presumed that was what to put in. It does have the DMP logo front and centre though.

Likewise the Strawberry website refers to it being run "in association with Slaney Olympic".

I don't have an issue with the text, and I'm half planning a go at both events anyway..depending on how my legs hold up!

Possibly this field should be removed from the table anyway? But for now DMP and Slaney to go in?

druss wrote: »
    Possibly this field should be removed from the table anyway? But for now DMP and Slaney to go in?
    Druss, totally understand. Think it is better to leave it in. It is good to know who is running the event.
    Great to see you keeping the tables maintained by the way.

• Advertisement

You have set me off now. Looking at the 2 web-sites they both appear to be privately run. Ok they are both 'associated' with a club. I presume that is to get the cheaper AAI permit fee. Another thing I notice is that both add on a booking fee to the entry fee which brings up the entry fee again. I hate when that is done. The full entry fee should be quoted. You could say Half Marathon entry €20 (+ €2.26 on-line booking fee, + €3.15 tee-shirt, + €2.50 medal, +€2.30 food etc. ) The RunIreland fee is an expense like any other and if an entry fee is quoted on a poster it should be the proper one. Here are the 'real' entry fees for both races.

Wexford Half, Early 37.23, After Jan 42.55
    Strawberry Half, Early 32.26, after Jan 37.63, after April 43.01
    Wexford 10k, Early 21.28, after Jan 26.6
    Strawberry 5mile 22.26,after Jan 27.82, after April 33.39

The Wexford race always seems to be portrayed as the 'bad boy'. If you look at the 2 races there is not much difference. Particulary if you compare the 10k against the 5 mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You have set me off now.

You obviously care about this more than I do. Rather than derail this thread any further, why not pm me and I'd be happy to discuss it or alternatively set up another thread?

..... Ryano Event Management ..... entry fee is still higher than other club-organised half marathons ....
    You obviously care about this more than I do. Rather than derail this thread any further, why not pm me and I'd be happy to discuss it or alternatively set up another thread?

I thought this was a thread to discuss Wexford running events. We should be able to discuss the positive and negative about ALL races. It is good to give feedback and will always lead to improvements. I just don't like the tone here sometimes when it comes to the Wexford Half. IMO the 2 run-for-profit races in Wexford are expensive to enter compared to other counties. It's unfair to single out just one. If you don't want differing opinions on this thread then fair enough. Consider me GAGGED.

Keep up the good work, Druss :D

Races with an AAI or IMRA permit
    County senior cross country||No|Sun, 16th Dec|AAI Wexford|Enniscorthy|
    Geraldine O'Hanrahans Turkey Trot|4 miles|No|Sun 30th Dec, 2012|Geraldine O'Hanrahans Gaa / United Striders AC|New Ross|E10/E12
    County master cross country||No|Sun 6th Jan, 2013|AAI Wexford|Kilmore|
    Ferrycarrig 5|5 Mile|No|Sun, 13th Jan, 2013|Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre (in association with St' Killian's AC|Ferrycarrig|15
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 10th Feb, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|15
    Hope and Dream 10|10 Mile|Yes|Sun, 24th Mar, 2013|Hope/Dream charity|Enniscorthy|?
    Wexford Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|Ryano Event Management/DMP AC|Wexford Town|35 early bird
    Wexford 10 km|10 km|Yes|Sun, 21st April, 2013|Ryano Event Management/DMP AC|Wexford Town|20 early bird
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|30 early bird
    Strawberry Five Mile|5 mile|Yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic|Enniscorthy|20 early bird
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|No|Sat, 13th July, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|?
    Kilmore 10k|10k|No|Sat, 14th Sep, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|?

Leagues and fun runs

St. Stephens Day Kilmore Mile 2012|1 mile|?|Wed, 26th Dec, 2012|Kilmore Athletics|Kilmore Village|2
    St. Stephens Day 10k Charity Road Run|10km|?|Wed, 26th Dec, 2012|?|Castletown,Gorey|10
    Duncannon 8km Turkey Burner|8km|?|Sun, 30th Dec, 2012|?|Duncannon|20
    Celtic Link 10k|10k|Yes|Sun, 24th Feb, 2013|St James GAA club|Duncannon|20
    Tesco Wexford 10km|10km|?|TBC 2013|Aware|Wexford|15
    Rosslare 10k|10k|Yes|Mon, 1st April, 2013|Wexford Tri club|Rosslare Strand|?
    Duncannon 6k run/walk with Brian Kerr|6k|Yes|Fri, 9th August, 2013|Duncannon Community Park|Duncannon|15

The Tesco 10k run to raise money for Aware is now marked as cancelled on Run Ireland. I've emailed to check what the situation is.

It would be a pity if it isn't going ahead due to lack of numbers. I had every intention of doing this one.

I thought this was a thread to discuss Wexford running events. We should be able to discuss the positive and negative about ALL races. It is good to give feedback and will always lead to improvements. I just don't like the tone here sometimes when it comes to the Wexford Half. IMO the 2 run-for-profit races in Wexford are expensive to enter compared to other counties. It's unfair to single out just one. If you don't want differing opinions on this thread then fair enough. Consider me GAGGED.

Keep up the good work, Druss :D

I don't think there is any need for gagging orders, self imposed or otherwise.

Seems to me ye are both at cross purposes while effectively both looking for the same end result! Accuracy.

I also don't know that the two races referred to are THAT out of line when compared to other similar events.

I'd probably be reluctant to pay full whack for either..not a reflection on the events themselves, just some economic reality in the face of my wish list for 2013.

I've been living in Wexford town for the last few years, and the half marathon is a race that has always made its presence felt so i've always secretly thought that I would do it one day. Similarly, I will one day return to the motherland to run, walk or crawl the Cork marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Nicely put Druss. Have to agree, paying full whack for a race (e.g. 33 Euro for a 5 mile) is just crazy. Nowadays 15 for a 10k and 25 for a half is plenty. The Ferrycarrig 5 is a good example of what a race should cost and offer in return

Here is another little one to slot in somewhere. The annual Kilmore mile takes place on Stephens Day. It's a mile for adults and 800m for kids. It will be accurately measured, you will get a time and it costs only 2 euro. Most of all it is a bit of fun and you could also win a spot prize. Details here at this link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

wextipp wrote: »
    Nicely put Druss. Have to agree, paying full whack for a race (e.g. 33 Euro for a 5 mile) is just crazy. Nowadays 15 for a 10k and 25 for a half is plenty. The Ferrycarrig 5 is a good example of what a race should cost and offer in return

Here is another little one to slot in somewhere. The annual Kilmore mile takes place on Stephens Day. It's a mile for adults and 800m for kids. It will be accurately measured, you will get a time and it costs only 2 euro. Most of all it is a bit of fun and you could also win a spot prize. Details here at this link.
    Have to agree that The two wexford halfs at full price are too dear. They will eventually fizzle out with the lack of money around. Scrap tshirts etc. I will be doing club events nxt year. I have 3 short races lined up in feb totalling enniscorthy kilmacthomas and dungarvan all very reasonably priced events. Meath half and mallow all totalling. That's 5 great races for 76 odd. Throw in dungarvan 10 and you get 6 top races for an average of 16 a head. If reasonably priced runners would run some at marathon lace others at tempo. At 45 odd you couldn't do that. Looking forward to 10k in enniscorthy but wouldn't pay for the others. The half in oylgate is another great half albeit a tough one for small Money

I don't think people expect as much from races anymore. As long as the course is measured correctly and accurate informative results are published afterwards. Without mentioning names, this year in Wexford we had an AAI certified race that didn't publish time/results and a chip-timed race that was measured a few hundred meters too short. These are easy things to get right and is the least a paying punter should expect. Get rid of the frills, get the basics right and keep the prices down.

In my opinion the 4 basics for a race are: safety, accurate measurement, proper results (times, club etc.), honest details on where the money is going. Hopefully the table on this thread will help people to choose the races they want to run.

Edited the table to put in the Kilmore mile. Looks like a great event and great value. Unfortunately I don't think i'll be around to give it a go.

Apparently the Tesco Aware run will still go ahead, but a new time has yet to be confirmed.

I don't think people expect as much from races anymore. As long as the course is measured correctly and accurate informative results are published afterwards. Without mentioning names, this year in Wexford we had an AAI certified race that didn't publish time/results and a chip-timed race that was measured a few hundred meters too short. These are easy things to get right and is the least a paying punter should expect. Get rid of the frills, get the basics right and keep the prices down.

In my opinion the 4 basics for a race are: safety, accurate measurement, proper results (times, club etc.), honest details on where the money is going. Hopefully the table on this thread will help people to choose the races they want to run.

I think people starting out, like me, still like a bit of frills though. If you've never done a road race and are gearing up for that first effort, then a medal/tshirt etc really add to that race day experience.

I entered the Wexford Half at the €30 (plus processing fee) mark, so I can live with that. And i get a medal (:D), t-shirt(:D) and a soup and roll. The clincher is that I don't need to travel. I'm not a driver, so other events may require me to add bus tickets or a b&b to the mix.

On spriteof1798s comments about the processing fee being included, some of the events allow ways around this with postal entry, entry on the day etc so it's a difficult one to do. I think i may put in a processing fee in brackets where applicable?

So far, I have confirmed entries for the Ferrycarrig5, Dungarvan 10, Wexford Half and Ballycotton for an average of 20 each. So i am not quite as economical as villagerunner!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Does anyone have details for the XC this Sunday.

What time is the first race off at?

Distance for Womens Senior race, seems to be some confusion as to whether this is over 5k or 6k

Thanks.

Cooldog wrote: »
    Does anyone have details for the XC this Sunday.

What time is the first race off at?

Distance for Womens Senior race, seems to be some confusion as to whether this is over 5k or 6k

Thanks.
    Last year is was 5k for women and 10k for men. Pretty sure it starts at 2pm with the womens race followed by the mens race as it was last year

Says 2pm on SO site

http://www.slaneyolympic.com/calendar/?event_id=108

Last year is was 5k for women and 10k for men. Pretty sure it starts at 2pm with the womens race followed by the mens race as it was last year

Says 2pm on SO site

http://www.slaneyolympic.com/calendar/?event_id=108

Thanks wextipp, yes these were the distances last year but I have heard that the womens race is over 5k or 6k from different sources, pity the distances for county races aren't up any where.

pity the distances for county races aren't up any where.

They should be up at this link
    http://www.wexfordathletics.com/events2/events1.html
    It is has been updated for all previous events. There is a contact e-mail on the bottom of the page and I'm sure you will get the full details if you contact that e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Yeah it's gonna be 5km for the women at 2pm (from what I hear it'll be two laps of the field - the races will be held on stubble but it's supposed to be in good condition) and then 10km for the men after this.

Womens race should be a cracker this year, with multiple defending champion Fiona Kehoe taken on by Jackie Carty, Ciara Wilson and Catherine Murphy.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the Goal Mile is going ahead in Craanford again this year. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Yeah Craanford GOAL mile is going ahead again, great event last year... signs up around gorey for it...must have a look see what time

And to whom it may concern, here's the results of the County Wexford xc senior last Sunday:

Ladies (5km):
    1. Jackie Carty (Kilmore AC) 18-51
    2. Fiona Kehoe (Kilmore) 19-28
    3. Catherine Murphy (Slaney Olympic) 20-02
    4. Ann Sullivan (DMP) 20-10
    5. Ciara Wilson (DMP) 21-00
    6. Catherine Walsh (Sliabh Buidhe Rovers) 21-24
    7. Dena Hogan (SBR) 21-52
    8. Elaine Cardiff (Kilmore) 22-00
    9. Lillian Lawless (SBR) 22-15
    10. Helen Doyle (Kilmre) 22-33
    11. Siobhan O' Shea (SO) 22-36
    12. Danielle Hennessy (SBR) 22-59
    13. Martina O' Sullivan (SO) 24-13
    14. Catherine O'Connor (Menapians) 24-16
    15. Sabina Sweeney (SO) 24-19
    16. Niamh O' Brien (Men) 24-30
    17. Michelle Doyle (SO) 25-00
    18. Marie Kirwan (SBR) 25-27
    19. Kelly Long (SO) 25-29
    20. Mag Dunphy (SO) 25-56

Teams:
    Gold - Kilmore AC - 11pts (1st, 2nd, 8th)
    Silver - Sliabh Buidhe Rovers - 22pts (6th, 7th, 9th)
    Bronze - Slaney Olympic - 27pts (3rd, 11th, 13th)

Mens (10km):
    1. Tom Hogan (SBR) 34-24
    2. Tommy McElwain (SBR) 35-50
    3. Kevin Murphy (SO) 35-54
    4. Jason O' Connor (SO) 36-04
    5. Martin Monaghan (SO) 36-36
    6. David Barron (SO) 36-40
    7. Paul Gibbons (SBR) 36-46
    8. Denis Moynihan (SBR) 36-47
    9. Ger Moloney (St Pauls AC) 36-48
    10. Jim Stafford (SO) 37-35
    11. Myles Gibbons (SBR) 37-38
    12. Ted Flannelly (United Striders) 37-48
    13. Jim O' Malley (SBR) 38-10
    14. Pat O' Neill (SBR) 38-37
    15. Ger Doyle (SBR) 38-45
    16. Sean Murphy (US) 39-09
    17. David Leonard (SBR) 39-28
    18. Stephen Wainsworth (Men) 39-51
    19. John Foley (SO) 39-53
    20. Bernard Fortune (SBR) 40-04
    21. Brian O' Shaughnessy (Racing 795) 40-18
    22. Colm Stafford (US) 40-26
    23. Fergus Murphy (SO) 40-36
    24. Shane Whitty (SBR) 40-42
    25. Eugene Doherty (40-50)
    26. Brian Kearney (SBR) 40-53
    27. John McGrath (US) 41-05
    28. Brian Keane (SO) 41-38
    29. Mick Morrissey (SO) 41-44
    30. John Roban (SO) 42-00
    31. Paul Browne (SO) 42-08
    32. Emmett Malone (US) 42-15
    33. Bobby Redmond (SO) 42-29
    34. Tommy Levingston (SBR) 42-44
    35. Billy Reck (SO) 43-13
    36. Pat O' Callaghan (US) 43-30
    37. Stephen Tyrrell (SO) 43-57
    38. John O' Connor (SO) 46-00
    39. Paul Murphy (SO) 46-18
    40. Billy Harpur (SBR) 61-30

Teams:
    Gold - Sliabh Buidhe Rovers - 42pts (1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th, 11th, 13th)
    Silver - Slaney Olympic - 47pts (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 19th)
    Bronze - Sliabh Buidhe Rovers ''B'' - 115pts (14th, 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th, 25th)

And to whom it may concern, here's the results of the County Wexford xc senior last Sunday:

Ladies (5km):
    Teams:
    Gold - Kilmore AC - 11pts (1st, 2nd, 8th)
    Silver - Sliabh Buidhe Rovers - 22pts (6th, 7th, 9th)
    Bronze - Slaney Olympic - 27pts (3rd, 11th, 13th)

Mens (10km):
    Teams:
    Gold - Sliabh Buidhe Rovers - 42pts (1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th, 11th, 13th)
    Silver - Slaney Olympic - 47pts (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 19th)
    Bronze - Sliabh Buidhe Rovers ''B'' - 115pts (14th, 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th, 25th)

Those cross country results really put things in perspective! In my road races to date, i've been mediocre but mid-table. In that field I'd have absolutely obliterated.

As a newbie, is there a degree of specialism in the Wexford clubs? As a complete outsider, why do some clubs seem to not have as high a degree of participation in the road running and cross country events?

Is this a cyclical thing or are some just more interested in track events?

druss wrote: »
    As a newbie, is there a degree of specialism in the Wexford clubs? ... Is this a cyclical thing or are some just more interested in track events?
    If you look at the registration list from AAI
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/registration-report-31072012.pdf
    you will see that SBR (53) and Menapians (53) are the biggest senior clubs followed by Slaney Olympic (44). Menapians with a big juvenile membership as well concentrate more on track and field so you are only left with SBR and Slaney Olympic as regards road and CC. The rest of the clubs are made up mostly of juvenile membership. Kids seem to drop out of athletics as they get older and come back in to it later in life. Also while there are a lot of people running they don't join athletics clubs for some reason.

And to whom it may concern, here's the results of the County Wexford xc senior last Sunday: .....
    Fair dues. SBR always get the results of the senior CC and road events on to the webosphere promptly. It's only right that participants get their place/times soon after their races.

Hi does anyone know if this is still going ahead today, if so does anyone have any info on the course etc...Thanks

Right that's the 10K done, tough course but a good burnout after X-mas,
    Now trying to decide between New Ross 4 miler or Duncannon 8K, New Ross is won by triyng to predict your time so I suppose watches will be banned ( I stand to be corrected on this).
    Does anyone have any info on either of these regarding course details etc, or any other races that are on next weekend.

Happy running everyone

Right that's the 10K done, tough course but a good burnout after X-mas,
    Now trying to decide between New Ross 4 miler or Duncannon 8K, New Ross is won by triyng to predict your time so I suppose watches will be banned ( I stand to be corrected on this).
    Does anyone have any info on either of these regarding course details etc, or any other races that are on next weekend.

Happy running everyone

Well done! Only just back in Wexford, but I wouldn't have been able to manage a one mile this morning.

I've just noticed that Slaney Olympic had a run on today as well.

http://www.slaneyolympic.com/calendar/?event_id=116

They also have a 5 race winter league on over the month of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

New Ross 4miler is a good course! First 3miles fairly flat and last mile has a couple of hills in it, its a looped course so what you gain you loose!! only €12 on the day, no watches allowed alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ergo

Did anyone get a measurement of Castletown 10k on their Garmin...? I'm sure it was a bit short based on my good time and the shape I'm in..! not complaining though, was a tough course and a good run out

Advertisement