Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

ergo wrote: »
    Did anyone get a measurement of Castletown 10k on their Garmin...? I'm sure it was a bit short based on my good time and the shape I'm in..! not complaining though, was a tough course and a good run out

The organisers do state that the course is short. No official PB's. Same course for everyone on the day though. Would have liked to do that (or the Goal Mile) meself but body wont allow - maybe soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Great to see a new Athletics club starting up in the county.

http://www.facebook.com/croghan.athleticsclub

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Just wondering if anyone knows are there any races on anywhere in Wexford the weekend of 16/17 Feb. I will be down that weekend.
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

wextipp wrote: »
    Great to see a new Athletics club starting up in the county.

http://www.facebook.com/croghan.athleticsclub

Kinda surprised there's an opening for another club but if it gets people out participating then I'm all in favour of it.

When I open the page on Facebook though it looks like they set it up as a personal page rather than an organisation so you have to become a friend, rather than like it. Personally I don't connect to pages set up like that to protect the privacy of my own Facebook info (as best I can). They might want to consider changing it as I'm sure other people will similarly hold back.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Kinda surprised there's an opening for another club but if it gets people out participating then I'm all in favour of it.
    It's good news I think. For kids the more local clubs the better. For adult clubs it is not as critical to have it local as we are more mobile.
    When I open the page on Facebook though it looks like they set it up as a personal page rather than an organisation so you have to become a friend, rather than like it. Personally I don't connect to pages set up like that to protect the privacy of my own Facebook info (as best I can). They might want to consider changing it as I'm sure other people will similarly hold back.
    I totally agree. The SBR page is the same. I would never connect to a page like that for the same reasons. There are big privacy issues particulary when you have kids connecting to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

Up until the 50s/60s a huge number of a/c clubs existed in the county - far far more than now. Hopefully they'll catch Castletown, Killererin and all around Tara Hill. Is there an active a/c club north of SBR or the macamores for adults? Potentially huge catchment area

Problem with setting up a facebook page as an organisation is that there are far more limitations in terms of functionality but agree it's tricky. I think a wordpress site might be a good option if there are concerns around facebook but then do you really want kids on facebook full stop - I wouldn't. The wordpress site can automatically feed a facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

ergo wrote: »
    Did anyone get a measurement of Castletown 10k on their Garmin...? I'm sure it was a bit short based on my good time and the shape I'm in..! not complaining though, was a tough course and a good run out

I got 5.72 miles on the Garmin, got 5.70 the previous year so it's about 1/2 mile short of a 10K.

Anyone got any info on the Ferrycarrig 5 mile road race this Sunday from what I know it's a hilly enough area in parts down there.

Cooldog wrote: »
    Anyone got any info on the Ferrycarrig 5 mile road race this Sunday from what I know it's a hilly enough area in parts down there.

The Course is fairly flat.It doesnt go down the hill towards the river. Here's a link to the route showing elevation. More info on the race thread.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/155364761

UpHill wrote: »
    Up until the 50s/60s a huge number of a/c clubs existed in the county - far far more than now. Hopefully they'll catch Castletown, Killererin and all around Tara Hill. Is there an active a/c club north of SBR or the macamores for adults? Potentially huge catchment area
    Just looking at the latest membership figures from AAI at this link. There has been a steady increase in membership nationally. However Wexford is one of the few counties with a decrease (small) over the last 6 years. There is definitely scope to develop the sport and increase membership in the county as it would appear from the figures there is under-development. Here is a graph of Wexford v National over the last 6 years.
    picture.php?albumid=2131&pictureid=14383

Interesting figures.

Drive through Enniscorthy or Wexford Town any evening though and there seems to be plenty running.

I would say that there are many people running but havent joined clubs. They should deffo be encouraged to do so. Sometimes people feel a bit intimidated thinking that they will be outclassed or feel left out when the truth is that everyone is welcome in the clubs that I know. In fact, of all the sports around, running is one where your ability is not looked at as a measure of your suitability to join - everyone is welcome.

• Advertisement

You hit the nail on the head Podge83. We find the same here in that people will not join our club and there are loads out running on the roads. I think that graph should be looked from a positive point of view. It shows that that there are lots on potential new members out there if we get the message across to them. Anybody got any ideas on how to do that.
    As a county athletics organisation I would have put an ad for athletics in the local papers in the new year 'Get Fit' section (where all the gyms take out an ad), list all the benifits of joining a club plus contact details. Joining a club is a great way to get fit, it's easy on the pocket and very socialable.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    When I open the page on Facebook though it looks like they set it up as a personal page rather than an organisation so you have to become a friend, rather than like it. .....
    Interesting follow-up on this. I had set-up a Personal Facebook page for a pub a good while back. It had 800 Friends. Last week Facebook deleted the page I presume for violation of it's terms (setting up a business page as a personal page). There was nothing offensive on it. No notice given. Now I have to start from scratch again. I presume the same will apply to sports pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

wextipp wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head Podge83. We find the same here in that people will not join our club and there are loads out running on the roads. I think that graph should be looked from a positive point of view. It shows that that there are lots on potential new members out there if we get the message across to them. Anybody got any ideas on how to do that.
    As a county athletics organisation I would have put an ad for athletics in the local papers in the new year 'Get Fit' section (where all the gyms take out an ad), list all the benifits of joining a club plus contact details. Joining a club is a great way to get fit, it's easy on the pocket and very socialable.

As i've mentioned before, I am a recent convert to running and still clubless.
    Most races around these parts seem to be either run by clubs or with the considerable input of clubs. Most races will also have a significant amount of fun runners/debut runners.

After I finished my first race, and took a few breaths, I was mainly thinking "Again, again. But a bit faster!". If the organising/contributing club had a basic info desk or could hand out some flyers with the race packs setting out some of the details discussed by Podge83 and wextipp, I'd have been very interested.

Basically this could emphasise the keep fit and social aspects, and set out the training schedules/groups that beginners could jump into. Just capitalise on that post race-euphoria!

I suppose an obvious difficulty is that organising a race probably ties up so many potential club reps in other race duties?

An alternative could be an email with much the same info to participants (probably best to filter out existing club athletes!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

Favourite run routes - what's yours?

Suggestions for good running routes

The Raven Curracloe
    Bree Hill
    New extended prom/walk in Enniscorthy near Riverside
    Some nice runs on fort mountain
    Gibbet Hill Bunclody
    Ballycrystal Mt leinster IMRA race route
    Enniscorthy half marathon course not bad, good loop

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Kennedy parks viewing point! up it and a few loops around the top is a savage run with spectacular views......

'The Burrow' in Kilmore quay has a great variety of routes to suit every ability. Although you would need to bring a local guide on some of the routes. The route all the way down to Cullenstown and back has everything (12 miles or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Now that Run Ireland have changed their events management supplier to Active, the table of Wexford events earlier on in this thread no longer works.

There are a few more events which have since been added on Run Ireland (and a few which vanished in the switch over!)..plus a few more on Slaney Olympic website etc. So it looks like the year is starting to take shape!

February 17
    County Novice Road Championships

I've no idea how these work. Who can enter? What's the standard and distance like?

February 24
    Celtic Link Duncannon 10km

Wouldn't mind doing this, but might be a bit close to Ballycotton for me.

March 10
    County Masters Road Championships - Rathangan

March 16
    Beach Bog Run - Gorey

I'm not getting my runners dirty!

March 17
    Davy Fortune Memorial 5km Run - Enniscorthy

I want to do this one. I've never done a 5km.

March 24
    Hope and Dream 10 Mile - Enniscorthy

April 1
    Rosslare 10km

April 21
    Wexford Half Marathon + Wexford 10km - Wexford Town

April 27
    County Senior Road Championship - Ferns

April 28
    Church to Church 10km Mogue O'Neill Memorial race - Kilrush, Bunclody

May 5
    Duncannon 12km Salmon Run - New Ross

May 6
    Taghmon 10km

May 26
    Strawberry Half Marathon and 5 Mile - Enniscorthy

July 6
    Kilmore Quay 5km
    Not up on Run Ireland yet, but i'd imagine it will be.

September 14
    Kilmore 10km - Kilmore

Edit: I've noticed that some of the events which are not opened on Run Ireland still don't allow for direct linking. :( I can only get the links by going direct to www.activeglobal.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Strawberry Straggler

Just wondering , does anyone know where the results from the Duncannon 10km are posted from yesterday??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just wondering , does anyone know where the results from the Duncannon 10km are posted from yesterday??

Total timing have them up

http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2013/celtic_link_duncannon_10K_2013_fullresults.htm

Did any one measure in on a Garmin. Last years race was 200m or so short according to a few people. Wonder was it rectified this year. Don't think it was a certified distance.

• Advertisement

Was talking yo someone who got 9.86 on their garman! ran it last year and git something similar, thats why i wont run it again..... basic requirment is correct distance!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Was talking yo someone who got 9.86 on their garman! ran it last year and git something similar, thats why i wont run it again..... basic requirment is correct distance!!!!

I have 6.19miles recorded which is fairly spot on. Tell your friend to stop taking shortcuts ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    I have 6.19miles recorded which is fairly spot on. Tell your friend to stop taking shortcuts ;)
    That's about 40 meters short. Not too bad. Should always be measured longer though and with a wheel or a Jones counter. If it is not measured and certified you never know what distance it is and it is not really a PB.

Got 6.09 miles on my garman last year! thats about 150meters short... i asked them sunday were they starting in the same spot and they said yes!!! imo the course is short! unless its cetrified you cant say it isnt.... fair play to them on their organisation and running of the race but getting certified wouldnt cost much and would give them more credability....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Sure running on the inside of the route could theoretically shorten the distance by 40m over 10k especially if the distance is measured up the middle of the roads. So you could have three people running side by side and all running different distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

donalg1 wrote: »
    Sure running on the inside of the route could theoretically shorten the distance by 40m over 10k especially if the distance is measured up the middle of the roads.

Distance should not be measured up the middle of the road, the race line is the shortest possible route.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Garmins are inaccurate too. Though the only way to know for sure, is like you say, a Jones counter.

Oryx wrote: »
    Garmins are inaccurate too. Though the only way to know for sure, is like you say, a Jones counter.
    Correct, a Garmin is not an acceptable method to measure a course. Jones counter is the only way and even then it can get very tricky to measure when you have a lot of bends on the route. I've have seen our local guy measuring the route for the 10k and it can take several attempts. It takes a lot of skill and experience to do it properly. Also, he will measure the course again this year to make sure.

Exactly! if the course is not certified you cant count it!! i find certified courses come up fairly accurate on the garmin.... usualy within 20 meters, well thts my experience...

• Advertisement

Exactly! if the course is not certified you cant count it!! i find certified courses come up fairly accurate on the garmin.... usualy within 20 meters, well thts my experience...
    It should never be under the distance, even by 5 meters. A good course measurer will have it slightly longer.

Advertisement