Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

RayCun wrote: »
    Distance should not be measured up the middle of the road, the race line is the shortest possible route.

I know this but my point was that there will be one line measured for the distance and not every runner will run on this line so they wont run the exact distance, some will run further and some will run shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

donalg1 wrote: »
    I know this but my point was that there will be one line measured for the distance and not every runner will run on this line so they wont run the exact distance, some will run further and some will run shorter.
    That will always be he case, even in an Olympic marathon. Put every runner as the option to run the shortest route and that can't be 150 to 200 meters less that the official distance. It's unfair on entrants thinking they have set a PB when they havn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

the race line is the shortest possible route.
    donalg1 wrote:
    and not every runner will run on this line so they wont run the exact distance.....and some will run shorter
    Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Some will run shorter than others, but nobody will run shorter than the race line. If the course has been measured properly at 10k nobody can run shorter than 10k. Either their Garmin is wrong, or the distance, or both.

Oryx wrote: »
    Huh?

Ha didnt see the part about it being the shortest possible route but is it really the shortest possible route that is measured, what do they use to measure it anyway.

• Advertisement

Ha didnt see the part about it being the shortest possible route but is it really the shortest possible route that is measured, what do they use to measure it anyway.
    One of these yokes.
    http://www.jonescounter.com/

wextipp wrote: »
    One of these yokes.
    http://www.jonescounter.com/

So like a fancy trundle wheel then, so how can this be guaranteed to measure the shortest route.

For instance you come to an S bend in the road so the shortest route around this is the inside left then cross and go on the inside right, but at what point do you cross the road, and do you go straight across it or at an angle and if at an angle what degree do you cross to ensure its the shortest route possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Interesting debate going on here, from what I know using jones counter the course is maked the shortest way possible to run the course eg: running the tangents, for this reason you will nearly always get garmin distances longer that race distances.
    My question is why they measure the course using the shortest possible route (running the tangents) when at the start of most races you are told either to keep to one side of the road or other primarily for safety reasons, surely the course should be measured by the running line you are expecting people to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Some bedtime reading attached to help with the debate :p
    An interesting addition to the shortest possible route (meaning the route the athlete is allowed to follow) is the 'short course prevention factor'
    For bicycle measurements this factor should be 0.1% which means that each km on the course will have a “measured length“ of 1001m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

^^^^^^^^
    An unqualified course measurer somehow misread the 0.1% rule as meaning 10% last year thus causing a few of us ran a 14.4 mile Half marathon. :pac:

I guess he mistook a 'tenth of one percent' as meaning 'a tenth'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cooldog wrote: »
    My question is why they measure the course using the shortest possible route (running the tangents) when at the start of most races you are told either to keep to one side of the road or other primarily for safety reasons, surely the course should be measured by the running line you are expecting people to take.

If only one side of the road is used by the race, the course should be measured on that side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I normally plan for 1% extra distance on top of the race distance - for example DCM12 measured 42.6km vs. 42.2km - to allow for not taking the racing line. Some courses which are straighter are closer to regulation but it shouldn't be possible to run the course shorter than the distance.

I don't know exactly what the distance of that route is - I could forgive it being short the first time of running but not a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Anyone know what the course for the Davy Fortune 5km in Enniscorthy of St Patricks Day is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Brianer69er

druss wrote: »
    Anyone know what the course for the Davy Fortune 5km in Enniscorthy of St Patricks Day is like?
    It's a nice course. It is two 2.5k laps starting at shamrocks gaa club. Slight drag at the start for 1K but nice downhill on d other side of the loop.
    It is chip timing also this year so is great value and lovely feed after too which is always nice. A great way to kick off your Paddys Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

anybody doing the rosslare 10km on Monday? conditioned look pretty good and if last year's results are anything to go by it a decent course.

Donelson wrote: »
    anybody doing the rosslare 10km on Monday? conditioned look pretty good and if last year's results are anything to go by it a decent course.

I'd hoped to do this and to get a bit closer to 40 min for the 10k. In the end, I decided that I really needed to get some more long runs in, with the town half marathon only three weeks away. Still slightly regret it though!

@ Donelson, did you give it a go?

Times are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Was a pretty cold morning in Rosslare yesterday, didn't do it in preparation for the Senior 10k in Ferns this week. Anyone know much about the course there?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Flat and fast!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

I'd hoped to do this and to get a bit closer to 40 min for the 10k. In the end, I decided that I really needed to get some more long runs in, with the town half marathon only three weeks away. Still slightly regret it though!

@ Donelson, did you give it a go?

Times are here.

yip, went with out the garmin, went out too fast so faded badly on the second lap. nice course, would have been better without the wind but you can't have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

trigger26 wrote: »
    Was a pretty cold morning in Rosslare yesterday, didn't do it in preparation for the Senior 10k in Ferns this week. Anyone know much about the course there?

Here's a little map of the course for Sundays County Wexford senior road races (just to fill out what Ross Runner said ;))....... it's one lap for the women (5k) and two laps for the men (10k). Reg and start for both races are on the square in Ferns and the finish will also be there. There'll be tea and refreshments in ''The Thatch'' afterwards also.

www.runningmap.com/?id=522454

• Advertisement

Here's a little map of the course for Sundays County Wexford senior road races (just to fill out what Ross Runner said ;))....... it's one lap for the women (5k) and two laps for the men (10k). Reg and start for both races are on the square in Ferns and the finish will also be there. There'll be tea and refreshments in ''The Thatch'' afterwards also.

www.runningmap.com/?id=522454

Not that I'll be doing this one, but is that basically the Mick Murphy 4 Mile minus the first loop of the village?

And (more importantly from my point of view!) will the 4 Mile be back in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Not that I'll be doing this one, but is that basically the Mick Murphy 4 Mile minus the first loop of the village?

And (more importantly from my point of view!) will the 4 Mile be back in September?

Exactly Druss, it's the Mick Murphy without having to climb the hill up by the church twice so should be a good course and fair for both the ladies and men

Yeah the four miler will be back on again but we're planning on having it on Saturday August 31st so everyone can provisionally stick it in their diary until we get confirmation over the next couple of weeks :)

Looks like the Co. Intermediate has been moved from Ballycarney to the Old Dublin Road, can anyone please confirm or deny this.
    Hopefully it's not multiple laps of the little loops used for the county novice, I am all for spectator friendly races but a novel idea might be to think of the athletes first!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Looks like it's been confirmed the move to Old Dublin Road from a post by Slaney Olympic on facebook

trigger26 wrote: »
    Looks like it's been confirmed the move to Old Dublin Road from a post by Slaney Olympic on facebook

Thanks anyone got any idea of the route, will be on the small loop or the bigger loop running heading out to scarawalsh and back in the old Dublin road.

Upcoming races
    Name|Distance|Distance AAI certified|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Strawberry Half marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|40
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 26th May, 2014|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|25
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|Yes|No|Sat, 6th July, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10
    Adamstown 10k|10km|No|yes|Sun, 28th July 2013|Adamstown GAA|Adamstown|20
    Foulkesmills 10k|10km|No|no|Sat, 24th August 2013|Clongeen GAA|Foulkesmill|15
    Mick Murphy 4 Mile Road|4 mile|Yes|yes|Sat, 31st August 2013|SBR AC|Ferns|17
    Kilmore 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sat, 14th Sep, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

it's a real pity that neither adamstown or foulkesmills 10ks are certified courses. I would like another shot at a 10k pb but with out the course being officially measured I'd always have a niggling doubt. :(

Upcoming races
    Strawberry Half marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 26th May, 2013|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|40
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 26th May, 2014|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|25
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|Yes|No|Sat, 6th July, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10
    Adamstown 10k|10km|No|yes|Sun, 28th July 2013|Adamstown GAA|Adamstown|20
    Foulkesmills 10k|10km|No|no|Sat, 24th August 2013|Clongeen GAA|Foulkesmill|15
    Mick Murphy 4 Mile Road|4 mile|Yes|yes|Sat, 31st August 2013|SBR AC|Ferns|17
    Kilmore 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sat, 14th Sep, 2013|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15

I was going to ask what happend to the Oylegate 10k and half marathon. I got a flyer for it on the day of the Wexford Half, which referred potential entrants to Run Ireland. It wasn't available online though. It has now appeared on Run Ireland today.

Also there are the Slaney Olympic events. I haven't done any of these yet, but they seem to be well supported.

http://www.slaneyolympic.com/2013/04/20/summer-league-programme-2013/#more-1367

Added the Oylegate pair of races and the Slaney League ones. Have SBR a league this year. Anybody know anything about this race The Wildkatz 10k
    Strawberry Half marathon|13.1 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 26th May|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|40
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 26th May|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|25
    Pearce Road 6k|6km|No|No|Sun, 2nd June|Sacre Coeur BC|Enniscorthy|10
    Slaney AC League|4 mile|No|No|Fri. 14th June|Slaney Olympic AC|The Ballagh|?
    Slaney AC League|6km|No|No|Fri. 28th June|Slaney Olympic AC|Davidstown|?
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|Yes|No|Sat, 6th July|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10
    Slaney AC League|?|No|No|Fri. 12th July|Slaney Olympic AC|The Still|?
    Slaney AC League|5k|No|No|Fri. 19th July|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonroche|?
    Adamstown 10k|10km|No|yes|Sun, 28th July|Adamstown GAA|Adamstown|20
    Slaney AC League|4 Mile|No|No|Fri 2nd August|Slaney Olympic AC|Ballymurn|?
    Slaney AC League|10k|No|No|Fri 9th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Bree|?
    Foulkesmills 10k|10km|No|no|Sat, 24th August |Clongeen GAA|Foulkesmill|15
    Oylegate Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|30
    Oylegate 10k|10km|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|15
    Slaney AC League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|?
    Mick Murphy 4 Mile Road|4 mile|Yes|yes|Sat, 31st August |SBR AC|Ferns|17
    Kilmore 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sat, 14th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15

Link to Wexford races on Active.com

• Advertisement

Added the Oylegate pair of races and the Slaney League ones. Have SBR a league this year. Anybody know anything about this race The Wildkatz 10k

I know I won't be doing it, mainly because it clashes with the Kilmore 5k! And i'm not a huge fan of the entry fee and a minimum fundraising target type set-up.

I'm almost sure that it had registration open before and that the website linked on Run Ireland worked. :confused:

Advertisement