Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

druss wrote: »
    I know I won't be doing it, mainly because it clashes with the Kilmore 5k! And i'm not a huge fan of the entry fee and a minimum fundraising target type set-up.

I'm almost sure that it had registration open before and that the website linked on Run Ireland worked. :confused:

I'll leave it off for the moment. There doesn't seem to be that much info on it and the registration is not available as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

I know I won't be doing it, mainly because it clashes with the Kilmore 5k! And i'm not a huge fan of the entry fee and a minimum fundraising target type set-up.

I'm almost sure that it had registration open before and that the website linked on Run Ireland worked. :confused:

Well I know which race I'll be doing that day!! - the Kilmore 5k, a really unique race, well organised with a great atmosphere...... about the SBR Summer league, we'll prob be starting it late June but nothing decided just yet as our Spring league isn't long over :)

Has anybody run the in any of the Park Runs

I wonder could something similar be set-up in Wexford if some of the clubs came together. It seems straight forward enough to set-up.

Runners sign up on the web-site and are e-mailed a printable tag with a barcode. This identifies them. You can laminate this. You simple turn up at the organized run and take part. When you finish you are handed a tag with a barcode which is your position. You then bring your tags to be scanned. The times are recored as the runners some in and matched up by the computer system. This could easily be done on cheap android tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thought about that and thought the jfk park would be a lovely place for it - Johnstown Castle too. But the official park run is expensive to get going and I'm not sure how state bodies would look on it.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Thought about that and thought the jfk park would be a lovely place for it - Johnstown Castle too. But the official park run is expensive to get going and I'm not sure how state bodies would look on it.

Yes, the park run is expensive, thousands I believe !. The technology is very simple though. A website to allow registration and generation of the barcoded id. An inexpensive lap-top or tablet plus barcode scanner to record the finsishers and a tablet to record the times. Would be an interesting project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Also clashes with Rosslare Triathlon. Busy day!!

Anybody seen results from the Taghmon 10k. Can't find them anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

wextipp wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about this race The Wildkatz 10k

Podge83 wrote: »
    Also clashes with Rosslare Triathlon. Busy day!!

And now Surf n'Turf Half Marathon and 10k out in Curracloe on the same day!

Somethings got to give...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Isn't it great that there is now such quantity of races in Wexford, for year's we had to travel to Dublin and Waterford and further just to get races.
    What these 3 races on the same day gives us is a chance to vote with out feet and chose the 5K in Kilmore a race that isn't trying to rip us off with being overpriced like some (not all) races are trying to do (you know who they are).

Long may the volume of races in Wexford continue, I think the only 2 race distances that are not catered for in the county at the moment are a 10 miler and a marathon. Hopefully that day will come.

40 Euro to enter, that really has to take the biscuit. You can see how the Strawberry and Wexford Half could justify that as it is run on public roads and requires a lot more organization and management. This one is run on the beach, forest and the quite country roads with zero traffic and will require very little stewarding etc. Well I'm presuming it will be zero traffic. What happens if it is a nice sunny day and half of Wexford want to hit the beaches. It can be mayhem out there at the best of times on a hot day.

Having said all that it is good for people to have a choice of so many races.

• Advertisement

Cooldog wrote: »
    Long may the volume of races in Wexford continue, I think the only 2 race distances that are not catered for in the county at the moment are a 10 miler and a marathon. Hopefully that day will come.
    What about the Hope and Dream 10 mile. That just leaves a marathon.

Name|Distance|Distance AAI certified|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Pearce Road 6k|6km|No|No|Sun, 2nd June|Sacre Coeur BC|Enniscorthy|10
    Slaney AC League|4 mile|No|No|Fri. 14th June|Slaney Olympic AC|The Ballagh|?
    Slaney AC League|6km|No|No|Fri. 28th June|Slaney Olympic AC|Davidstown|?
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|Yes|No|Sat, 6th July|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10
    Surf & Turf half marathon|13.1 mile|No|yes|Sat, 6th July|BORN2RUN events company |Curracloe Beach|40
    Surf & Turf 10k|10k|No|yes|Sat, 6th July|BORN2RUN events company |Curracloe Beach|25
    Slaney AC League|?|No|No|Fri. 12th July|Slaney Olympic AC|The Still|?
    Slaney AC League|5k|No|No|Fri. 19th July|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonroche|?
    Adamstown 10k|10km|No|yes|Sun, 28th July|Adamstown GAA|Adamstown|20
    Slaney AC League|4 Mile|No|No|Fri 2nd August|Slaney Olympic AC|Ballymurn|?
    Slaney AC League|10k|No|No|Fri 9th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Bree|?
    Foulkesmills 10k|10km|No|no|Sat, 24th August |Clongeen GAA|Foulkesmill|15
    Oylegate Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|30
    Oylegate 10k|10km|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|15
    Slaney AC League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|?
    Mick Murphy 4 Mile Road|4 mile|Yes|yes|Sat, 31st August |SBR AC|Ferns|17
    Kilmore 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sat, 14th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15

While agreeing about it being good to have choice etc, I still find it bizarre that there appear to be five races (Kilmore 5, Wildkatz 10k, Rosslare triathlon, and the two Surf &'Turf ones) all in effectively the same corner in the south of Wexford on the same day.

I am not an event organiser, but I assume people can have be working on the planning of an event for a while before it goes up on the likes of "Run Ireland" so the dates clashing can be unavoidable?

While agreeing about it being good to have choice etc, I still find it bizarre that there appear to be five races (Kilmore 5, Wildkatz 10k, Rosslare triathlon, and the two Surf &'Turf ones) all in effectively the same corner in the south of Wexford on the same day.

The Kilmore Quay 5k has to go with that date as it is part of the Sea Food Festival and it is an annual event for a good few years now.

The Kilmore Quay 5k has to go with that date as it is part of the Sea Food Festival and it is an annual event for a good few years now.

Indeed. And as a result, the provisional date for Kilmore Quay has been available for a good while.

Which makes me wonder why/how it can happen that so many others have all landed in on the same Saturday. Not a conspiracy theory or anything, its just strange. June is comparatively quiet, for example.

The triathlon is a totally different type of event to the 5k and appeals to a different type of athlete, the WildKats looks like a non-runner. The 5k and triathlon could live happily together. They were on at the same date last year as well.

What bugs me is a professional events company like Born2run coming and picking a date after two local amature clubs have already picked that date. Shows little regard for the volunteers in these clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

The Rosslare Tri, as WT says is aimed at a different group and indeed was on the same date last year as the 5k - both went ahead and were a success.

Totally right also with Born to Run - did they not check the calendar???. It does seem a bit strange. I arrange a race in January and the first thing I did was consult the Calendar to see where it fits in. I can't see the runners turning from the Kilmore 5k to the Curracloe race, and indeed I hope they don't.

As for the Wildcat yoke - I don't know what to say!!

The system as worked well in Wexford as everyone has played ball and there has been no clashes up to now. I did contact the organizers of the Surf 'n' Turf and they do realize there are other events on that day but that day suits them and they are going with it. So that's that.

PHOTOS and RESULTS from the Pearse Road 6k. Looked like a great event.

St. Pauls 5 mile and Ferns half marathon just added. I presume the Ferns one is an SBR event.

Note: The Surf and Turf race has been rescheduled

Slaney Olympic League|4 mile|No|No|Fri. 14th June|Slaney Olympic AC|The Ballagh|?
    Slaney Olympic League|6km|No|No|Fri. 28th June|Slaney Olympic AC|Davidstown|?
    Slaney Olympic League|?|No|No|Fri. 12th July|Slaney Olympic AC|The Still|?
    Slaney Olympic League|5k|No|No|Fri. 19th July|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonroche|?
    Slaney Olympic League|4 Mile|No|No|Fri 2nd August|Slaney Olympic AC|Ballymurn|?
    Slaney Olympic League|10k|No|No|Fri 9th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Bree|?
    Oylegate Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|30
    Slaney Olympic League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|?
    St. Pauls AC 5 Mile Road Race|5 mile|Yes|No|Sat, 7th September|St. Pauls AC|Kilrane|12
    Kilmore 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sat, 14th Sepember|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 miles|Yes|?|Sun, 29th September|SBR AC|Ferns|25

• Advertisement

Slaney Olympic League|4 mile|No|No|Fri. 14th June|Slaney Olympic AC|The Ballagh|3
    Slaney Olympic League|6km|No|No|Fri. 28th June|Slaney Olympic AC|Davidstown|3
    Slaney Olympic League|?|No|No|Fri. 12th July|Slaney Olympic AC|The Still|3
    Slaney Olympic League|5k|No|No|Fri. 19th July|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonroche|3
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k|Yes|No|Fri 26th July|Phil Murphy Festival|Cullenstown|?
    Slaney Olympic League|4 Mile|No|No|Fri 2nd August|Slaney Olympic AC|Ballymurn|3
    Slaney Olympic League|10k|No|No|Fri 9th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Bree|3
    Slaney Olympic League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|3
    St. Pauls AC 5 Mile Road Race|5 mile|Yes|No|Sat, 7th September|St. Pauls AC|Kilrane|12

Yes Ferns half marathon is being organised by SBR, it's gonna be over the same route as the famous Ferns half marathon (from some 20yrs ago) that was graced by the likes of Neil Cusack, the Hoopers etc, so it's an established course that has proven very good in the build-up to the Dublin marathon over the years....... basically the route is from Ferns out to Tombrack, onto Strahert, turning left and heading for Ballycarney, straight through the village along the Slaney Drive to Scarawalsh and back to Ferns along the main Ferns/Enniscorthy road.

By the way, the SBR Summer league begins next week, with a two miles road race taking place in Ferns (the final two miles of the Mick Murphy memorial four miler course) on Wednesday June 19th at 7-30pm. The league will then continue every Wednesday evening for the next 2 months. :)

Slaney Olympic League|4 mile|No|No|Fri. 14th June|Slaney Olympic AC|The Ballagh|3
    SBR League|2 mile|No|No|Wed, 19th June|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 26th June|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 3rd July|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 10th July|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 17th July|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 24th July|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k|Yes|No|Fri 26th July|Phil Murphy Festival|Cullenstown|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 31st July|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 7th August|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    SBR League|?|No|No|Wed, 14th August|SBR AC|Ferns|?
    Slaney Olympic League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|3

Printable version here
    wexford_races.pdf

You can now enter on-line for the Kilmore Quay Seafood Festival 5k road race at https://www.activeglobal.com/running/kilmore-quay-ireland/kilmore-quay-seafood-festival-5k-2013

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Any ideas when the surf and turf will happen? Would have missed out myself but will do it now for sure.

RAFA B wrote: »
    Any ideas when the surf and turf will happen? Would have missed out myself but will do it now for sure.
    According to their web-site it was postponed due to heavy congestion on & around the beach in Curracloe and they are now waiting for the local authority to confirm an alternative date.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

According to their web-site it was postponed due to heavy congestion on & around the beach in Curracloe and they are now waiting for the local authority to confirm an alternative date.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Yes Ferns half marathon is being organised by SBR, it's gonna be over the same route as the famous Ferns half marathon (from some 20yrs ago) that was graced by the likes of Neil Cusack, the Hoopers etc, so it's an established course that has proven very good in the build-up to the Dublin marathon over the years....... basically the route is from Ferns out to Tombrack, onto Strahert, turning left and heading for Ballycarney, straight through the village along the Slaney Drive to Scarawalsh and back to Ferns along the main Ferns/Enniscorthy road.

By the way, the SBR Summer league begins next week, with a two miles road race taking place in Ferns (the final two miles of the Mick Murphy memorial four miler course) on Wednesday June 19th at 7-30pm. The league will then continue every Wednesday evening for the next 2 months. :)

Hi bewleys berry is the SBR league open to everyone. Thanks.

Cooldog wrote: »
    Hi bewleys berry is the SBR league open to everyone. Thanks.

Hi Cooldog, yes the SBR Summer league is open to everyone. And just to clarify the league is now beginning this coming THURSDAY evening (June 20th). Sorry about the mix-up in dates, but it was going to be too tight on a Wednesday evening what with SBR juvenile training taking place earlier hence the switch to Thursday. The league will take place every Thursday evening then until the week before the Mick Murphy memorial four miler in Ferns, ie - from Thursday June 20th until Thursday August 22nd. We'll begin with a two miles road race on Thursday evening at 7-30pm, which will take place over the final two miles of the Mick Murphy course (ie - down the stump lane, out onto the main Ferns/Enniscorthy road at Lodgewood and back in this road to finish on the square outside Ferns castle). Everyone is welcome, male/female, joggers/runners, club members/non-club members/members of other athletic clubs etc. Entry will be ten euro which will cover the WHOLE of the league, with prizegiving and refreshments taking place on the final night in Ferns. We're also planning this year on moving the league around with locations to include Gorey, Carnew, Bunclody and Kilmuckridge (I'll be picking out a course here in Gorey for next weeks leg, on June 27th). :)

• Advertisement

Updated with new SBR league dates
    SBR League|2 mile|No|No|Thu, 20th June|SBR AC|Ferns|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 27th June|SBR AC|Gorey|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 4th July|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 11th July|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 18th July|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 25th July|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k|Yes|No|Fri 26th July|Phil Murphy Festival|Cullenstown|10
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 1st August|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 8th August|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 15th August|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 22nd August|SBR AC|?|10 (All)
    SBR League|?|No|No|Thu, 29th August|SBR AC|?|10 (All)

Advertisement