Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Conducting a quick survey on road races. If you could take a few minutes to complete it, it would be great.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z7LS7FD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

wextipp wrote: »
    Conducting a quick survey on road races. If you could take a few minutes to complete it, it would be great.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z7LS7FD

I had one complaint that Wicklow didn't make the cut! Personally, I think this is an entirely logical and sensible approach! :)

druss wrote: »
    I had one complaint that Wicklow didn't make the cut! Personally, I think this is an entirely logical and sensible approach! :)
    Oops. I noticed that now and fixed it. Thanks.

Venues and distances for SBR league added
    Name|Distance|Distance AAI certified|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    SBR League|2|No|No|Thu, 27th June|SBR AC|Gorey|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|6km|No|No|Fri. 28th June|Slaney Olympic AC|Davidstown|3
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 4th July|SBR AC|Carnew|10 (All)
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5k|Yes|No|Sat, 6th July|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 11th July|SBR AC|Bunclody|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|?|No|No|Fri. 12th July|Slaney Olympic AC|The Still|3
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 18th July|SBR AC|Kilmuckridge|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|5k|No|No|Fri. 19th July|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonroche|3
    SBR League|2|No|No|Thu, 25th July|SBR AC|Ferns|10 (All)
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k|Yes|No|Fri 26th July|Phil Murphy Festival|Cullenstown|10
    Adamstown 10k|10km|No|yes|Sun, 28th July|Adamstown GAA|Adamstown|20
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 1st August|SBR AC|Gorey|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|4 Mile|No|No|Fri 2nd August|Slaney Olympic AC|Ballymurn|3
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 8th August|SBR AC|Carnew|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|10k|No|No|Fri 9th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Bree|3
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 15th August|SBR AC|Bunclody|10 (All)
    SBR League|1|No|No|Thu, 22nd August|SBR AC|Ferns|10 (All)
    Foulkesmills 10k|10km|No|no|Sat, 24th August |Clongeen GAA|Foulkesmill|15
    Oylegate Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|30
    Oylegate 10k|10km|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|15
    Slaney Olympic League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|3
    Mick Murphy 4 Mile Road|4 mile|Yes|yes|Sat, 31st August |SBR AC|Ferns|17
    St. Pauls AC 5 Mile Road Race|5 mile|Yes|No|Sat, 7th September|St. Pauls AC|Kilrane|12
    Kilmore 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sat, 14th Sepember|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 miles|Yes|?|Sun, 29th September|SBR AC|Ferns|25

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Sliabh Buidhe Rovers A.C. now have a new website www.sbrclub.com

We'll have all results relating to the club and races within the county up as soon as they become available and the website should prove a useful tool for fixtures, pics, club juvenile news and info relating to the clubs two big races - the Mick Murphy memorial four miler and the Ferns half marathon.:)

• Advertisement

One overall graph from the road race survey. In a nutshell people want a race that is measured and timed accurately. They are not that interested in the frills and price is important. Will add more detailed analysis later. Surprised team event is so low on the list.
    likes.jpeg
    Link

One overall graph from the road race survey. In a nutshell people want a race that is measured and timed accurately. They are not that interested in the frills and price is important. Will add more detailed analysis later. Surprised team event is so low on the list.

There was a question on the survey asking whether the respondent is a club member or not wasn't there? And Wexford has a comparatively lower club membership level (I thought)? That might be one issue, but one i presume you can prove or disprove that theory by comparing the answers in those categories.

Even for club members, in a Wexford racing scenario, there might be a bit of a "selfish gene" thing going on? Some clubs are automatic contenders and have the strength in depth to pick up prizes (even two prizes with A and B teams). Others will struggle to get a team together for most events.

Also, while I selected "nice to have", I read it as applying more to the level of the team prize available. In the same way as the price issue meant the level of the entry fee, not that all events should be free of charge! For instance I would think that it would be unprofessional for a running event to NOT have a team prize.

Last year an event i entered came in for some flack online pre-race as it offered a team prize, but initially only available to teams OTHER than athletic club teams! It was a GAA fun run, and I suppose the intention was to go for a more inclusive team prize. However the reaction was understandable and the organisers saw sense and got together a prize for club teams as well. So that would be an example of where not having a team prize was a decided negative.

There was a question on the survey asking whether the respondent is a club member or not wasn't there? And Wexford has a comparatively lower club membership level (I thought)? That might be one issue, but one i presume you can prove or disprove that theory by comparing the answers in those categories.

Haven't had a chance yet to publish more details. Will do it at the week-end. Just to say about 60% of the answers came from outside of Wexford and 75% overall were club members. You are correct in that in Wexford the men's team competition in particular is usually a 2 horse race. However, I agree with you that a race should have a team prize. It adds an extra dimension to battles between club runners further down the field and is always popular at the prize giving afterwards.

Just added the Murrintown 10k. It's clashing with the Ferns Half. It's a pity to see that happening.

SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 11th July|SBR AC|Bunclody|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|?|No|No|Fri. 12th July|Slaney Olympic AC|The Still|3
    SBR League|3|No|No|Thu, 18th July|SBR AC|Kilmuckridge|10 (All)
    Slaney Olympic League|5k|No|No|Fri. 19th July|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonroche|3
    SBR League|2|No|No|Thu, 25th July|SBR AC|Ferns|10 (All)
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k|Yes|No|Fri 26th July|Phil Murphy Festival|Cullenstown|10
    Adamstown 10k|10km|Yes|yes|Sun, 28th July|Adamstown GAA|Adamstown|20
    Oylegate Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|No|No|Sun, 25th August |Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA |Oylegate|30
    Slaney Olympic League|2 mile|No|No|Fri 30th August|Slaney Olympic AC|Clonhaston|3
    St. Pauls AC 5 Mile Road Race|5 mile|Yes|No|Sat, 7th September|St. Pauls AC|Kilrane|12
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 miles|Yes|?|Sun, 29th September|SBR AC|Ferns|25
    Murrintown 10k|10k|?|No|Sun, 29th September|Murrintown NS|Murrintown|15

Just added the Murrintown 10k. It's clashing with the Ferns Half. It's a pity to see that happening.

Indeed.

I enjoyed the Kilmore Quay 5k, by the way. Well done Kilmore AC! Even if the conditions didn't suit me, as Larry Gogan might say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Has anyone done the the Adamstown 10k before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm pretty sure this is the first running of it.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is the first running of it.

Found this from 2010, same race?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Found this from 2010, same race?
    That is the Adamstown in Dublin. This is the first run of the Wexford one. It has an AAI certified course BTW.

Indeed.

I enjoyed the Kilmore Quay 5k, by the way. Well done Kilmore AC! Even if the conditions didn't suit me, as Larry Gogan might say.
    Thamks Druss. It was an enjoyable race with a good athmosphere. We have to put our hands up and say that the whole finish area was a disaster though. A few people missed the turn-off in to the tunnel and we missed a few timings, which is unforgivable. The unexpected volume of people caused the problem, we had 50 in 2008 up to over 150 this year. The whole finish area is being reviewed and improved on for next year.

That is the Adamstown in Dublin. This is the first run of the Wexford one. It has an AAI certified course BTW.

Cheers any idea of the course profile, wouldn't mind fitting in a 10k before the hols

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

The surf and turf run is going ahead in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Hi does anyone have any info on the course for the 10K this Sunday, course profile, hard / easy course, PB potential...Thanks

Cooldog wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have any info on the course for the 10K this Sunday, course profile, hard / easy course, PB potential...Thanks
    There is not that much info on it. Unless you pose the question on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adamstown-GAA-Club/546431158708003

Don't forget the 12k this evening as well in Cullenstown, http://www.philmurphyweekend.com/programme.html

Nothing new added, just getting rid of the old ones.

NOTE: Murrintown 10k now on 22nd September

Murrintown 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sun, 22nd September|Murrintown NS|Murrintown|15
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 miles|Yes|yes|Sun, 29th September|SBR AC|Ferns|25

• Advertisement

Nothing new added, just getting rid of the old ones.

Murrintown 10k is now on the weekend before the Ferns Half (Sunday, 22 September 2013).

Which makes a lot more sense for everybody concerned.

Murrintown 10k is now on the weekend before the Ferns Half (Sunday, 22 September 2013).

Which makes a lot more sense for everybody concerned.

Ah that's good to hear, and as u say it def makes more sense......although another saturday evening race woulda been nice :)

By the way just to bandit the topic, anyone looking for info on the ferns half (or indeed the Mick Murphy memorial 4 miler) should log onto www.sbrclub.com

I see there are 2 10k's organized for Bree on Friday.

The 8th race in the Slaney Olympic Audi Enniscorthy Summer League takes place next Friday evening 9th in Bree. Reg is at the community centre in Bree, from 6.30-7.15 (the start is 1/2 mile from here) Entry fee is €3.00, distance is 10k.

Bree United are holding a 10k fun run on Friday the 9th of August around our scenic village, we hope as many players and family members as possible will take part in what we hope will become a yearly event. Run, jog or walk it , entry is €10 for adults and €5 for minors , meeting at Bree hall @ 6-30 , walkers will start @ 7pm, runners @ 7-30 and afterwards refreshments will be served in Bree Hall.

I see there are 2 10k's organized for Bree on Friday.

The 8th race in the Slaney Olympic Audi Enniscorthy Summer League takes place next Friday evening 9th in Bree. Reg is at the community centre in Bree, from 6.30-7.15 (the start is 1/2 mile from here) Entry fee is €3.00, distance is 10k.

Bree United are holding a 10k fun run on Friday the 9th of August around our scenic village, we hope as many players and family members as possible will take part in what we hope will become a yearly event. Run, jog or walk it , entry is €10 for adults and €5 for minors , meeting at Bree hall @ 6-30 , walkers will start @ 7pm, runners @ 7-30 and afterwards refreshments will be served in Bree Hall.

As far as I know this is like Slaney Olympics Summer league race in Monageer earlier in the Summer - if you're taking part in Slaneys league u pay 3 euro to enter the 10k and if ur not (or if u wanna support Bree UTD with more of an entry fee) u pay a tenner......it's the same race :)

or something to that extent - don't shoot the messenger :D

As far as I know this is like Slaney Olympics Summer league race in Monageer earlier in the Summer - if you're taking part in Slaneys league u pay 3 euro to enter the 10k and if ur not (or if u wanna support Bree UTD with more of an entry fee) u pay a tenner......it's the same race :)

or something to that extent - don't shoot the messenger :D
    Two races feeding in to one. That's an unusual approach.

Murrintown 10k|10k|Yes|No|Sun, 22nd September|Murrintown NS|Murrintown|15
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 miles|Yes|yes|Sun, 29th September|SBR AC|Ferns|25
    Wexford Half marathon|13.1 Miles|Yes|yes|Sun,27th April, 2014|DMP|Wexford Town|?
    Wexford 10k|10km|Yes|yes|Sun,27th April, 2014|DMP|Wexford Town|?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

The Surf 'n' Turf 10k/half has been confirmed for Saturday October 5th in Curracloe.

RAFA B wrote: »
    The Surf 'n' Turf 10k/half has been confirmed for Saturday October 5th in Curracloe.
    40 Euro for the half and 25 for the 10k on a beach!. These private promotors really know how to charge. Better off sticking to locally organized ones, much better value in my opinion.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up for the Foulksmills 10km. Was a nice day for it, a nice route (though I suspect on the short side as my time would be a new PB!), through two villages and plenty of winding roads with a few minor hills, plenty of stewards at any junctions and a few water stations. Great food afterwards. Minor quibbles, I prefer bottles to cups etc. etc. but overall really enjoyed it. €15 was good value.

• Advertisement

Another event to be added to the Wexford calendar - there will be a 5k fun run in Craanford (in north Wexford - 4 miles from Gorey) on Saturday September 21st, so it'll be a good chance for anyone doing the Kilmore10k the following Saturday to get some speed in their legs :) more details closer to the time.......

Advertisement