Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

RAFA B wrote: »
    Really? Any reason why? A real pity because i really enjoyed it.
    Talking to the organizers a while back and it was just the huge amount of effort that goes in to organizing such an event. And in fairness they did but in a lot of effort to make it what it was. It's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

wextipp wrote: »
    Talking to the organizers a while back and it was just the huge amount of effort that goes in to organizing such an event. And in fairness they did but in a lot of effort to make it what it was. It's a pity.

Yes it was a really well run event. Great day and incredible value for money. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Yes it was a really well run event. Great day and incredible value for money. Really enjoyed it.

I'd like to chime in here and say big thanks to all who had been involved in the organising of this race as it really was one of the best races in the road running calendar and it will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'd heard a slightly different third-hand version of this a while back, which was that Graham and Jane were considering taking a step back from running it as a fully private race due to the commitments involved. But that it might be handed over to Slaney to run as a club event (obviously still with the considerable input of the previous organisers).

I've never entered it, but was planning to do so this year. So i'm selfishly hoping that it survives!

druss wrote: »
    ... Graham and Jane were considering taking a step back from running it as a fully private race due to the commitments involved. But that it might be handed over to Slaney to run as a club event (obviously still with the considerable input of the previous organisers).
    Might work. I suppose the Wexford Half Marathon was transferred over to DMP AC and that worked out I presume or did they transfer it back to being a privately run race. Not too sure of it's status at the moment.

• Advertisement

Name|Distance|Distance AAI certified|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    County Intermediate Cross Country|4k/8k|Yes|No|Sun, 13th October|Wexford Athletics|St. Helens|3
    Monster Dream Run|5km|no|No|Sun,27th October|Share a dream Charity|Gorey|6
    County Senior Cross Country|5k/10k|Yes|No|Sun, 1st December|Wexford Athletics|Kennedy Park|3
    County Masters Cross Country|4k/6k|Yes|No|Sun, 5th Jan, 2104|Wexford Athletics|Taghmon|3
    Ferrycarrig 5 mile|5 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 12th Jan, 2014|Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre|Ferrycarrig|16.50
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k|Yes|yes|Sun, 9th Feb,2014|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|15
    Duncannon 10k|10k|no|yes|Sun, 23rd Feb, 2014|St. James GAA|Duncannon|?
    Wexford Half marathon|13.1 Miles|Yes|yes|Sun,27th April, 2014|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|30
    Wexford 10k|10k|Yes|yes|Sun,27th April, 2014|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Ferrycarrig 5 will be chip timed this year

Run with Tom|5k/10k|no|No|Sun, 20th October|Run With Tom charity run|Curracloe|?
    Monster Dream Run|5km|no|No|Sun,27th October|Share a dream Charity|Gorey|6
    County Senior Cross Country|5k/10k|Yes|No|Sun, 1st December|Wexford Athletics|Kennedy Park|3
    Turkey Burner 8k|8k|?|?|Sun, 29th December|Duncannon village renewal|Duncannon|12
    County Masters Cross Country|4k/6k|Yes|No|Sun, 5th Jan, 2104|Wexford Athletics|Taghmon|3
    Ferrycarrig 5 mile|5 mile|Yes|yes|Sun, 12th Jan, 2014|Crossabeg/ Ballymurn Community Centre|Ferrycarrig|16.50
    Wexford Half marathon|13.1 Miles|Yes|yes|Sun,27th April, 2014|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|30
    Wexford 10k|10k|Yes|yes|Sun,27th April, 2014|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|20

I've seen some posters up around Wexford Town on a charity run out in Curracloe this weekend.

http://www.wexmseaswim.com/

Sun, 20th Oct - "Run with Tom"

5 km & 10 km Charity walk/jog/run in Raven Forest and/or a 750m/1km/2km/3km swim. Proceeds go towards buying a specially-adapted buggy/wheelchair for 10-year old Tom who he has a physical disability.

I think there is a facebook page as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

If anyone isn't running Dublin on bank holiday Monday, how about giving the ''Monster Dream'' fun run over 5km a bash on Sunday - it's for a great cause and will be a great fun day for the family as there's lots of activities going on at the race HQ (Amber Springs Hotel) for the kids. Full info here http://www.shareadream.ie/events/monster-dream-run :)

• Advertisement

Moyne Rangers 5km|5k|no|No|Sun, 17th November|Moyne Rangers|Enniscorthy|10
    Ferns Santa Dash 2013|5k|yes|No|Sun,8th December|St Aidans GAA| Ferns|10
    Turkey Burner|5k|?|?|Sun, 29th December|Duncannon village renewal|Duncannon|12

Added the Moyne Rangers 5k in Enniscorthy and the Santa Dash 5k in Ferns. There is a Ger Kearney Memorial 4 Mile Fun Run listed on Run Ireland for Saturday, 14 December but that doesn't seem to be set up for race entry at the moment.

Moyne Rangers 5km|5k|no|No|Sun, 17th November|Moyne Rangers|Enniscorthy|10
    Ferns Santa Dash 2013|5km|no|No|Sun,8th December|St Aidans GAA| Ferns|10
    Turkey Burner 8k|8k|?|?|Sun, 29th December|Duncannon village renewal|Duncannon|12

Added the Moyne Rangers 5k in Enniscorthy and the Santa Dash 5k in Ferns. There is a Ger Kearney Memorial 4 Mile Fun Run listed on Run Ireland for Saturday, 14 December but that doesn't seem to be set up for race entry at the moment.

Just to let everyone interested know that while the ''Ferns Santa Dash'' is being held as an indirect fundraiser for Ferns St Aidans GAA club, it's being organised by myself and other members of the athletics club in Ferns (while not being an athletics club event - one of our runners is dancing in the Strictly Club Dancing contest being organised by Ferns St Aidans GAA) and will be a properly organised run, with course fully marked and accurately measured, while results will be posted online that evening and there will be a plentiful supply of homebaked refreshments such as mince pies and mulled wine (apart from the festive Santa hat all entrants will get, plus prizes for those battling it out at the front), so we're looking forward to seeing lots out running, whether dressed as Santa or not :D

Just to let everyone interested know that while the ''Ferns Santa Dash'' is being held as an indirect fundraiser for Ferns St Aidans GAA club, it's being organised by myself and other members of the athletics club in Ferns (while not being an athletics club event - one of our runners is dancing in the Strictly Club Dancing contest being organised by Ferns St Aidans GAA) and will be a properly organised run, with course fully marked and accurately measured, while results will be posted online that evening and there will be a plentiful supply of homebaked refreshments such as mince pies and mulled wine (apart from the festive Santa hat all entrants will get, plus prizes for those battling it out at the front), so we're looking forward to seeing lots out running, whether dressed as Santa or not :D

Change to "yes" for distance and co-credit SBR as an organiser? Hope to get out to this race, despite my dire training in recent times!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

[/table]

I am going to enter and run my first ever road race, which will be the Turkey Burner.

I emailed one of the organisers on Friday and he confirmed that this years Turkey Burner is a 5k run, rather than the 8k they did last year.

Change to "yes" for distance and co-credit SBR as an organiser? Hope to get out to this race, despite my dire training in recent times!

That's good to hear druss, everyone is welcome and it should be a good day, at least u've the guts of 5weeks to train for it and it's a good course (it's the very same course as the ladies ran for the 5k race at the County Wexford senior road races in the Spring - the men did 2 laps of it)......

The annual Christmas market that takes place in the function room of ''The Courtyard'' that is organised by the local camogie club also takes place on this day, so it'll coincide nicely.......maybe a good idea for everyone to bring the family and pick up a couple of things at that after the running is done :)

Change to "yes" for distance

Just one small point, the 'Yes' means the race has been certified by the AAI and the distance Jones Counter measured by an official course measurer. It's a kind of quality control for road races and ensures the distance is what it says on the tin. The races that have it will be in this list
    .... with course fully marked and accurately measured ...

I have no doubt it will be an accurately measured course but it may not be AAI certified. I'm sure BB can confirm it either way.

Just one small point, the 'Yes' means the race has been certified by the AAI and the distance Jones Counter measured by an official course measurer. It's a kind of quality control for road races and ensures the distance is what it says on the tin. The races that have it will be in this list

I have no doubt it will be an accurately measured course but it may not be AAI certified. I'm sure BB can confirm it either way.

The course was AAI-certified a number of years ago for the Mick Murphy memorial four miler (even though it's a 5k we're holding the mile etc around the ''V'' were measured using a Jones counter by an official course measurer) and hasn't changed since and this 5k route is the very same as used for the championship road races earlier in the year - the start and finish will be in the very same places........It'll be a well-organised fun run but if anyone is looking for a fast time they can take it as officially accurate :)

Personally I think having a race AAI certified is a good idea. It is inexpensive to get, stops clashes in the fixture list, provides insurance cover and from a quality control point of view it lets participants know the race is an accurately measured one.

The simple rule of thumb is if a race is a competitive one with prizes then it has to be AAI certified in order for AAI athletes to run in it. If it is a fun run then it doesn't matter.

Heard there is a 5k&10k in or around Gorey on Jan 4 2014. Anyone know anything about this please?

Heard there is a 5k&10k in or around Gorey on Jan 4 2014. Anyone know anything about this please?

I heard about it on the grapevine........it's gonna be on in Kilanerin (which is about 4miles outside Gorey on the north side)..... it'll be a fund raiser for Strictly Club Dancing so basically it'll be the local committee running it. As far as I know chip timing etc won't be used due to costs. They've put it up in the ''upcoming races'' section of runireland...... I'd be familiar enough with the course - the first half will be fast but the second half should be tough enough, while still runnable.........

• Advertisement

I heard about it on the grapevine........it's gonna be on in Kilanerin (which is about 4miles outside Gorey on the north side)..... it'll be a fund raiser for Strictly Club Dancing so basically it'll be the local committee running it. As far as I know chip timing etc won't be used due to costs. They've put it up in the ''upcoming races'' section of runireland...... I'd be familiar enough with the course - the first half will be fast but the second half should be tough enough, while still runnable.........

Great thanks a lot.

Am just giving the Ferns Santa Dash an unashamed bump here - you'll get a well-organised fun run, a Santa hat (to the first 150 entrants), the chance to win good prizes, and all the hot homemade mince pies and mulled wine you want (we'll also have tea for those that want to hold off on the festive drinkies) - all for just ten euro.........hope to see a big crowd there next Sunday (December 8th) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Am just giving the Ferns Santa Dash an unashamed bump here - you'll get a well-organised fun run, a Santa hat (to the first 150 entrants), the chance to win good prizes, and all the hot homemade mince pies and mulled wine you want (we'll also have tea for those that want to hold off on the festive drinkies) - all for just ten euro.........hope to see a big crowd there next Sunday (December 8th) :)

No need for shame. I'm sure you'll put on a good show. I'm out Sat night for the first time in memory but I'll tag along for the hat!!.

How re you after XC today - I think we can safely say that you gave it everything!!

Podge83 wrote: »
    No need for shame. I'm sure you'll put on a good show. I'm out Sat night for the first time in memory but I'll tag along for the hat!!.

How re you after XC today - I think we can safely say that you gave it everything!!

Ah that's great, the more the merrier (whether u can run it, jog it or crawl it .....after Sat night :D ) - should be a good day.

At least was able to get out for a jog this morn after the xc but yeah let's just say i suffered a LITTLE bit during it (never so glad to see a finish line!!):)

Without wanting to sound stupid do you need to register before Sunday or is it a case of turn up and enter on the day? Please and thanks.

Without wanting to sound stupid do you need to register before Sunday or is it a case of turn up and enter on the day? Please and thanks.

It's entry on the day only RAFA B - entry will be open from 9-30am in Ferns community centre - turn up good and early, register your details at the race desk and you'll get your Santa hat (the first 150 entered) and Santa number - we'll have festive music and there'll be loads of mulled wine and warm homemade mince pies for everyone after :)

(I suppose we're all so used to registering for most races through runireland that the old fashioned system of turning up on the day and your entry being taken with pen and paper is like a thing of the past :) )

It's entry on the day only RAFA B - entry will be open from 9-30am in Ferns community centre - turn up good and early, register your details at the race desk and you'll get your Santa hat (the first 150 entered) and Santa number - we'll have festive music and there'll be loads of mulled wine and warm homemade mince pies for everyone after :)

(I suppose we're all so used to registering for most races through runireland that the old fashioned system of turning up on the day and your entry being taken with pen and paper is like a thing of the past :) )

Great thanks a lot.

Good to see athletics membership growing again. Up 11% in the county since September. Link here
    Nov13.png

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Good to see athletics membership growing again. Up 11% in the county since September. Link here
    Nov13.png

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of adults and kids in those lists. St. Paul's would barely have 5 senior members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of adults and kids in those lists. St. Paul's would barely have 5 senior members

5 senior and 22 masters
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/club-totals-as-of-31st-of-october.pdf
    910 juvenile members in the county, 117 senior, 380 masters

Advertisement