Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of adults and kids in those lists. St. Paul's would barely have 5 senior members
    There you go. Slaney Olympic by the far the biggest adult club. You can get all the data here http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/month-end-registration-report-club-november.pdf#page=7
    |Junior|Juvenile|Master|Senior|Total
    Adamstown A.C.||63|14||77
    Bree A.C.||53|14|9|76
    Craanford Harriers A.C.||53|6|1|60
    Croghan A.C.||76|33|13|122
    D.M.P. A.C.|1|44|28|11|83
    Enniscorthy A.C.|1|65|5|2|72
    Kilmore A.C.||62|26|6|94
    Menapians A.C.|5|142|36|23|201
    Racing 795|||8|2|10
    Slaney Olympic A.C.|||88|22|110
    Sliabh Bhuide Rovers A.C.|1|46|43|19|108
    St. Annes A.C.||5|5|1|11
    St. Killians A.C.||28|7||35
    St. Pauls (Wexford) A.C.|2|87|22|5|114
    Taghmon A.C.||72|10||82
    The Macamores A. C.||53|3||56
    United Striders A.C.||79|54|7|140
    Total|10|928|402|121|1451

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Anyone know of a running club in the Gorey area please? Enjoy running but not a great runner. Thanks.

RAFA B wrote: »
    Anyone know of a running club in the Gorey area please? Enjoy running but not a great runner. Thanks.
    Sliabh Bhuide Rovers, Croghan and Craanford Harriers are your 3 nearest clubs. The above table will give you an idea of the breakdown of the athletes. You will find them all on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/SliabhBuidheRovers?fref=ts
    https://www.facebook.com/croghan.athleticsclub?fref=ts
    https://www.facebook.com/CraanfordHarriers

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

The Ferns Santa Dash proved a great success yesterday morning, weather was really good and there was a great turnout for the event :) full results are on www.sbrclub.com with pics on SBRs facebook page. Thanks to all who came and ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi rafa b , if your looking for company on a few runs pm me, I'm in gorey and always looking for company and people with new routes ..

• Advertisement

Nialloooo wrote: »
    ... I'm in gorey and always looking for company and people with new routes ..
    Sounds like a good offer :D. We may have to move it to the classifieds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sub60

Hi does anyone know if the Goal mile on Christmas morning is on in Craanford this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

any word on the Rosslare 10k? it's a good race but it's not mentioned for 2014, and body got an ear to the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

As I understand it, it is going ahead on Easter Monday again, just not launched yet. I'd say it will be announced soon in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

How's all.... I did the Duncannon Turkey Burner today (1st ever roadrace.. 25.35).... Does anyone know where I could view the official times?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Anybody here know if the 10km in enniscorthy on February 9th is the same route as last year?
    Looking to know if I need to start running up mount Leinster in prep for its hills!!! :pac::pac::D

tommycahir wrote: »
    Anybody here know if the 10km in enniscorthy on February 9th is the same route as last year?
    Looking to know if I need to start running up mount Leinster in prep for its hills!!! :pac::pac::D

looks like it
    http://www.slaneyolympic.com/calendar/?event_id=161

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

wextipp wrote: »

Oops meant to update this earlier they confirmed on Facebook it was the same route..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Any further word on the Strawberry festival race?

RAFA B wrote: »
    Any further word on the Strawberry festival race?

Unfortunately there is none this year. Was a great race - pity

Just a heads up that the annual Mick Murphy four miles road race in Ferns (organised by Sliabh Buidhe Rovers A.C.) will take place on a new, much earlier date, this year - so pencil in the evening of Saturday June 7th for a great race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Deadly not so long to wait for this great race!!

Anyone know the exact rules for putting up road signs to promote an event. Rang the council few years ago and they said the following
    - Can't put up earlier than 3 weeks before the event
    - Can't put too near a junction
    - Can't put signs on to current road signs.
    We stick to these guidelines and each year about 25% of them disappear. They are expensive to print and we could do without that. Maybe it's the grass cutting contractors that remove them if they are in their way.

Anyone know the exact rules for putting up road signs to promote an event. Rang the council few years ago and they said the following
    - Can't put up earlier than 3 weeks before the event
    - Can't put too near a junction
    - Can't put signs on to current road signs.
    We stick to these guidelines and each year about 25% of them disappear. They are expensive to print and we could do without that. Maybe it's the grass cutting contractors that remove them if they are in their way.

Strictly speaking permission should be sought. However takes time and may be turned down.

Steer clear of erecting on existing council signs - these will usually be removed (I'm almost sure recent signs put up have been removed for this reason) Sometimes the council will ring you and tell you to "remove or be removed". Common sense is the biggest thing though - don't put up too early, put in places where sight lines etc are unaffected and don't put right at a junction.

• Advertisement

Podge83 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking permission should be sought. However takes time and may be turned down.

Steer clear of erecting on existing council signs - these will usually be removed (I'm almost sure recent signs put up have been removed for this reason) Sometimes the council will ring you and tell you to "remove or be removed". Common sense is the biggest thing though - don't put up too early, put in places where sight lines etc are unaffected and don't put right at a junction.
    Yes, common sense is the approach we take. We make sure that are not distracting or too unsightly. The areas where signs are always taken down are Castlebridge road, top of Ferrycarrig hill and Dublin side of Enniscorthy. Avoid those areas I suppose.
    I noticed that the Duncannon 10k seem to put their signs up 2 months before their race every year and they were never taken down. Although this year all the signs around the 'Whitford roundabout' have disappeared for this years event.

I noticed that the Duncannon 10k seem to put their signs up 2 months before their race every year and they were never taken down. Although this year all the signs around the 'Whitford roundabout' have disappeared for this years event.

They had one or two on Ferrycarrig hill too (I think)

I'm guessing here but I think they were taken down (or they were told to take them down) as they were all on existing council signs.

O

Here is the results of the survey from last year on what people want from a road race. I think we can say that the Ferrycarrig race ticked a lot of the boxes.
    290429.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Just wondering what the route for the Duncannon 10k is like? Hilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

You mean the Duncannon 9.9k! last mile and a half is ALL up hill, the rest of the course is lovely......

You mean the Duncannon 9.9k! ...
    I was always a fan of AAI race certification in that you should only get certification if a race course has been measured by an officially trained course measurer. The measurer gives the race organizer a certificate showing that the course is the distance it should be. An AAI certificate should not be granted without proof of the course distance being certified. However in Wexford this rule is not enforced and it is possible to get an AAI certification without proof. It's a pity really as I always thought the AAI certification was a good quality control for races. The only way you can be sure now if a course distance is correct is if the organizer publishes a copy of the certificate from the course measurer. I'm not sure how other counties deal with it.

Just a quick update - the Mick Murphy memorial four miles road race in Ferns has now been moved to Saturday June 14th. This is to avoid a clash with the Strawberry half marathon in Enniscorthy which is taking place on Sunday June 8th. Both races/events for the diary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Just a quick update - the Mick Murphy memorial four miles road race in Ferns has now been moved to Saturday June 14th. This is to avoid a clash with the Strawberry half marathon in Enniscorthy which is taking place on Sunday June 8th. Both races/events for the diary :)

Is there a site for this race? http://strawberryhalfmarathon.com/ is being squatted, and the facebook page only refers to 2013.

• Advertisement

cianc wrote: »
    Is there a site for this race? http://strawberryhalfmarathon.com/ is being squatted, and the facebook page only refers to 2013.

If this race (Strawberry HM) is being run after all it's great news. Organisers of previous years had decided not to proceed.

BB's info suggests a change of heart. The site and FB page will follow I'm sure.

Advertisement