Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

cianc wrote: »
    Is there a site for this race? http://strawberryhalfmarathon.com/ is being squatted, and the facebook page only refers to 2013.
    It is open for entries on Active.com
    Apparently it's being organized by Slaney Olympic this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Podge83 wrote: »
    If this race (Strawberry HM) is being run after all it's great news. Organisers of previous years had decided not to proceed.

BB's info suggests a change of heart. The site and FB page will follow I'm sure.

Yeah Slaney Olympic are organising it (I think Jane and Graham have stepped aside, but hopefully they'll have some hand in it again).......the Mick Murphy 4m had originally been planned for the evening before it (as that weekend was free) but obviously when the Strawberry half was confirmed we've moved back a week so neither race would lose out.....

Here is a new table of upcoming events. Any omissions or errors let me know. I have added in a new column for the course certification number and year. When an official measurer certifies a course the cert will have a number. It is recommended that a course is measured every 3 years. It is the only way to be sure that a course is measured correctly for a PB.
    Name|Distance|Course cert no/year|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k| |yes|Sun, 9th Feb|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|15
    Duncannon 10k|10k| |yes|Sun, 23rd Feb|St. James GAA|Duncannon|20
    County Novice Road Race|3k/6k||No|Sun, 16th Mar|Wexford Athletics|Wexford Town|5
    County Intermediate Road Race|4k/8k||no|Sun, 23rd Mar|Wexford Athletics|Coolgreaney|5
    Beach Bog Run|6/10km| |?|Sat, 12th Apr|Castletown GAA|Castletown|30
    Hope and Dread 10|10 mile||?|Sun, 13th Apr|Hope and dream charity|Enniscorthy|?
    Rosslare 10k|10k| |?|Mon, 21st April|Wexford Tri Club|Rosslare|13
    Wexford Half marathon|13.1 Miles| |yes|Sun,27th Apr|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|30
    Wexford 10k|10k| |yes|Sun,27th Apr|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|20
    County Master Road Race|3k/6k||no|Sun, 9th May|Wexford Athletics|Enniscorthy|5
    Vinegar Hill 5 mile|5 mile| |?|Sun, 18th May|St.Senan's Primary School.|Enniscorthy|?
    County Senior Road Race|5k/10k||No|Sun, 23rd May|Wexford Athletics|Kilmore|5
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 Miles| |?|Sun, 8th Jun|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|25
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile| |?|Sun, 8th Jun|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|15
    Mick Murphy 4 mile|4 mile| |?|Sat, 14th Jun|Sliabh Buidhe Rovers AC|Ferns|?
    Terrarath 5 mile|5 mile||?|Sat, 23rd Aug|United Striders AC|New Ross|?
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 Miles||?|Sun, 28th Sep|Sliabh Buidhe Rovers AC|Ferns|?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

I heard the Novice on the 9th of March has been changed to the 16th March, its on in Wexford this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I saw a mention online that the Novice Road Race is now a week later than originally flagged and will take place on 16 March in Wexford town.

County intermediate in Coolgreaney, Masters in Enniscorthy, Senior in Kilmore.

County Half Marathon in Ferns on 28 September.

Edit: cross posting!

• Advertisement

Permits were sought for various races in the county at the county board meeting last night and an interesting race to crop up is the Terrarath 5 miler that's being organised by United Striders A.C. in New Ross on Saturday August 23rd.
    Also the Oylegate half marathon (and 10k) is no more after making a loss last year.......

Wextipp, can you also stick the Ferns half marathon on the list - on Sunday September 28th - the county half championships are being incorporated into this too....

And the Hope and Dream 10 on April 13th

Thanks

Changes made to table above. Here are the rules relating to course measurement prior to applying for a permit. Hopefully this was the case with the recent applications.;)
    5. All Road Races must be measured by an Athletics Ireland certified Road Course Measurer in advance of
    application. (List attached)

6. Multiple road race distances within the one event are required to submit course measurement certificate
    for each distance.

Original document

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Does anyone know the route for the Wexford 10k ?

I am not sure if I would be fit enough to run it and would like to give it a trail run.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

Starts near the Talbot and heads out the rosslare road, turn at the nursing home and up the Coolballow road to the cross of Sinnottstown lane wher you turn left towards McDonalds, turn left at McDonalds and head in to the finish. I think their is a turn left at the traffic lights of Waters Technology and run up towards Coca Cola and back to lights also. Hope this helps.

SusanneKn wrote: »
    Does anyone know the route for the Wexford 10k ?

I am not sure if I would be fit enough to run it and would like to give it a trail run.

Here you go. It's on the official website linked in Wextipp's table.

• Advertisement

Craanford 5 mile added.
    Enniscorthy 10k|10k| |yes|Sun, 9th Feb|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|15
    County Novice Road Race|3k/6k||No|Sun, 16th Mar|Wexford Athletics|Wexford Town|5
    County Intermediate Road Race|4k/8k||no|Sun, 23rd Mar|Wexford Athletics|Coolgreaney|5
    Craanford 5 Mile|5 mile||?|Sun, 6th Aprl|Craanford Harriers AC|Craanford|15
    Hope and Dream 10|10 mile||?|Sun, 13th Apr|Hope and dream charity|Enniscorthy|?
    Wexford Half marathon|13.1 Miles| |yes|Sun,27th Apr|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|30
    County Master Road Race|3k/6k||no|Sun, 9th May|Wexford Athletics|Enniscorthy|5
    Vinegar Hill 5 mile|5 mile| |?|Sun, 18th May|St.Senan's Primary School.|Enniscorthy|?
    County Senior Road Race|5k/10k||No|Sun, 23rd May|Wexford Athletics|Kilmore|5
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 Miles| |?|Sun, 8th Jun|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|25

Hope and Dread is a great name for a race!:pac:

druss wrote: »
    Hope and Dread is a great name for a race!:pac:
    Thanks, never noticed that. It's a mixture of both going in to every race I suppose.

The Oylegate half marathon (and 10k) is seemingly still on the cards, even though at the county board meeting the other night the word was that it wouldn't take place this year, so apologies for the misinformation........usually takes place on the last Sunday in August, so I suppose it's a case of watch out for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Well done to those who ran the Enniscorthy 10k today, great conditions. I took a few snaps and put them up on RacePix

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

jebuz wrote: »
    Well done to those who ran the Enniscorthy 10k today, great conditions. I took a few snaps and put them up on RacePix

Fair play jebuz, some good photos there, unfortunately you got one of me looking exactly how I felt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jebuz wrote: »

Thanks.
    I'm floating in my one: http://www.racepix.com/Enniscorthy-10k/racephotos/1073/photo/165/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Brianer69er

Great day out in Enniscorthy 10K today. Blessed with the weather even though the wind for last 4K was tough.
    Had heard also that Oylgate was undecided but seemingly they are meeting in next week or two to decide its faith or whether a restructure is on d cards.

Kilmore 10k added
    County Master Road Race|3k/6k||no|Fri, 9th May|Wexford Athletics|Enniscorthy|5
    County Senior Road Race|5k/10k||No|Fri, 23rd May|Wexford Athletics|Kilmore|5
    Kilmore 10k|10k||?|Sat, 13th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kllmore Village|?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Brianer69er

Great to see a packed calendar of races on our doorstep. Seems to be a gap between mid June to mid August for a few more races :)

• Advertisement

Great to see a packed calendar of races on our doorstep. Seems to be a gap between mid June to mid August for a few more races :)
    Early yet. There are a lot of races that haven't declared yet. St. Pauls, Taghmon, Adamstown, Cullenstown ........ I'm sure the gaps will start to close soon.

Ballygarret 8k added
    Ballygarret 8k|8k||?|Mon, 21st April|Macamores AC|Ballygarret|10
    County Master Road Race|3k/6k||no|Fri, 9th May|Wexford Athletics|Enniscorthy|5
    County Senior Road Race|5k/10k||No|Fri, 23rd May|Wexford Athletics|Kilmore|5
    Kilmore 10k|10k||?|Sat, 13th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kllmore Village|?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

IMRA race in Annacurra on 1st March, not far from the Wexford border

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

I see the Duncannon 9-9k numbers are dropping year on year, wonder has it anything to do with the course......

I see the Duncannon 9-9k numbers are dropping year on year, wonder has it anything to do with the course......
    420 in 2012, 350 last year and 180 this year. It is dropping each year alright. The weather was a factor I would say. The Ferrycarrig and Enniscorthy races had great turn outs during bad weather so maybe people are looking for races with an accurate course.

A definite lack of club runners in the race yesterday! i travled to Dungarvan for a proper 10k and all of €8.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

But how much did the petrol cost to get to Dungarvan, not to mention a round trip of 2 hours of driving between the two places?

Two hour round trip?? dont know what road n petrol split between two people plus tolls is a total cost of €15 each a real fortune to run a proper club race!!Duncannon would have been €40 before we even got in the car.......plus we got our 10k plus a bit not like the 9-9k you get in Duncannon.....

A definite lack of club runners in the race yesterday! i travled to Dungarvan for a proper 10k and all of €8.....
    I wouldn't knock the Duncannon race that much. By all accounts the race is well organized and well received by anyone that takes part. I suppose it doesn't advertise as an accurately measured course. Garmin devices can be affected by hills, sharp bends, tree cover etc. The sharp bend at the start of the Enniscorthy 10k for example causes some GPS devices to read the course as short. How do we know if any of the races in Wexford are accurately measured. Unless the race has a certificate from an official course measurer then you will never know. In Cork a lot of AAI races display their course certificate on the day of the race for everyone to see. Might be a good idea for Wexford race organizers to start doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

wextipp wrote: »
    In Cork a lot of AAI races display their course certificate on the day of the race for everyone to see. Might be a good idea for Wexford race organizers to start doing that.

Ferrycarrig 5 had race cert displayed!!

Nothing stirs the emotions like being badly compared to anything in Cork!!!!

Advertisement