Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done to Slaney Olympic on another well-organised race. Good turnout too. Roads were well-marshalled and there was a nice crowd all the way along. The running hat was a nice little bonus and there was a great feed in the school afterwards. Only downside was the queue for the loo beforehand - especially the ladies (its great to be a man:D).

Testing enough course too - but still managed to chop 4 1/2 minutes off my best time (shows I obviously wasn't trying hard enough the last few times:rolleyes:).

More to the point the course records for both men and women were broken today - sub 30-min for the men, 34 min-odd for the women. I believe it was a couple who won both titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

well organised as usual today by SO, registration very organised and quick. Very good testing course with plenty of marshals, only complaints I could have was with the price, 17 online or 20 on the day, it's been creeping up every year, I know this turned a lot of walkers off, 15 euro max is loads for any 10km in my humble opinion, I know the money is been redirected into the club but races in wexford relative to other counties are way over priced. Also I think they should let walkers off first 30 minutes before hand so that every comes home together, felt sorry for them with 5km to go and a lot of us finishing
    Two small cribs but over all great day and well done to all concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

UpHill wrote: »
    well organised as usual today by SO, registration very organised and quick. Very good testing course with plenty of marshals, only complaints I could have was with the price, 17 online or 20 on the day, it's been creeping up every year, I know this turned a lot of walkers off, 15 euro max is loads for any 10km in my humble opinion, I know the money is been redirected into the club but races in wexford relative to other counties are way over priced. Also I think they should let walkers off first 30 minutes before hand so that every comes home together, felt sorry for them with 5km to go and a lot of us finishing
    Two small cribs but over all great day and well done to all concerned!

I think the walkers requested that they start with the runners this year. Last year they went ahead early and it was kind of a nuisance to have to run past them, especially when some were walking 2 and 3 abreast. Much better this year.

I think the price went up because of chip timing this year. I agree with you that it's a bit expensive, but i don't mind paying for races that funnel the money back into sports clubs. Rather that than pay over the odds for a private venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 freedom13

A thank you to all who helped make the Enniscorthy My Sport 10 km run such a great day yesterday, the weather threatened a little at the start, but gladly it had second thoughts and held up well :). Even my strapped up calf held up for most of it :eek:;). Well thats my first out of the way, roll on the next 10km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Forthcoming events in Wexford: (Added Wexford road championships)

Road Races:

County Wexford Novice road championships, Ferns, 13th March
    County Wexford Masters road championships, Enniscorthy, 3rd April
    County Wexford Senior road championships, Kilmore, 17th April
    Rosslare 10k is on in Rosslare Strand on 25th April - http://www.runireland.com/events/201...b-rosslare-10k
    Wexford Half Marathon is on (new course) 22nd May http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com
    Strawberry Half Marathon is on 26th June - http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com
    Kilmore 10k will be on 10th September - watch http://www.kilmoreathletics.com/10k for updates

• Advertisement

Forthcoming events in Wexford: (Added Wexford road championships)

Road Races:

County Wexford Novice road championships, Ferns, 13th March

HR - do you have details on this? The Athletics Wexford website is not being updated. Time, location (I know Ferns is not that big but...), registration, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

or the route ??

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

well the novice is usually 6k and seeing as it's in Ferns I'd be thinkin they will use the Mick Murphy 4 mile course - if they do use this it would at least mean the start would be moved up to the top of the town instead of having to climb the church hill twice like in that race, but then again why ruin the fun!:D
    will post on here in next couple of days when I hear from the club lads what's happening with course/time etc - but will be great to see a good turnout for this - was very encouraging to see such a large field for it last year in Bridgetown (when it was combined with the vets)

Also here's another race for the list of Wexford road races and what better way to start a St Patricks Day than blow away the cobwebs over 5km :-) http://www.slaneyolympic.com/calendar/?event_id=43

Thanks BB - its for my OH, so the ladies race arrangements and route is the one I'm interested in.

Hi Dilbert, yeah the ladies are gonna be first off and it'll be either a 3k or 2m race (i think championship is supposed to be 3k but gives u an idea for her) and the lads in organising club think it will be from the 2m mark of the Mick Murphy course if u know it or if u have run that race before. The race will be at 2pm and the mens race will be off immeiately after

• Advertisement

Don't know the course but the start time is a good place to start. Thanks BB.

HI Guys,
    Any update on sundays route? Heard a roumor there is another route out the carnew road, any truth in this?

I haven't been talking to the guys in the club since Tuesday Niall so i've nothing new, but they were all on for it being the last 6k of the Mick Murphy four mile course (ie - starting up where that race finishes outside ''The Thatch'', doing a lap of the ''v'' in Ferns, going out the Ballycarney road, down the stump lane, back out on the main Enniscorthy road at Lodgewood and back in the main road to finish back at ''The Thatch''.....don't shoot me if they change it for race day though:p

Thanks BB that will do me the finest ;)

Just added in 2 more

County Wexford Novice road championships, TODAY, 2pm in Ferns !

Davy Fortune Memorial Run (5k) - St. Patricks day
    Little Sliabh Bui (Hill run) - Sun 20th Mar
    Rosslare 10k is on in Rosslare Strand on 25th April - http://www.runireland.com/events/201...b-rosslare-10k
    Wexford Half Marathon is on (new course) 22nd May http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com
    Strawberry Half Marathon is on 26th June - http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com
    Kilmore 10k will be on 10th September - watch http://www.kilmoreathletics.com/10k for updates

The Athletics Wexford website isn't being updated at the moment so for anyone who ran today, or who wants to pass on results, the novice results are below. Link to pictures to follow. Well done everyone who fielded out - great to see such good numbers.

Ladies (2 miles):
    1. Beth Cardiff (Kilmore AC) 12-57
    2. Niamh O' Brien (Menapians) 13-51
    3. Martina Conran (Slaney Olympic) 13-58
    4. Tracey Flanagan (United Striders) 14-06
    5. Yvette Shovlin (St Killians) 14-11
    6. Helen Kearney (St Killians) 14-17
    7. Mag Dunphy (Slaney Olympic) 14-50
    8. Ann Bolger (SBR) 14-51
    9. Lorna Murphy (St Killians) 15-29
    10. Nora Boggan (Menapians) 15-40
    11. Claire Gibbons (SBR) 15-44
    12. Laura Halpin (St Killians) 16-18
    13. Barbara Shortall (Menapians) 16-41
    14. Siobhan Doyle (Menapians) 17-23

Teams (3 to score):
    1. St Killians
    2. Menapians

Mens (4 miles):
    1. Jason Kehoe (St Killians) 23-17
    2. David Leonard (SBR) 23-40
    3. Paul McLoughlin (DMP) 23-43
    4. Jim O' Malley (SBR) 23-44
    5. Niall O' Connor (Slaney Olympic) 23-48
    6. Eugene Doherty (SBR) 24-01
    7. Fergus Murphy (SO) 24-35
    8. Brendan Radford (DMP) 24-48
    9. Declan Kelly (Menapians) 24-59
    10. Fredric Bourdin (Menapians) 25-02
    11. Billy Reck (SO) 25-04
    12. Malo Roban (SO) 25-06
    13. Mick Nolan (SO) 25-17
    14. Pat Hyland (SO) 25-26
    15. David Kirwan (United Striders) 25-33
    16. Paddy O' Leary (US) 25-34
    17. Jaro Sumec (St Pauls) 25-34
    18. Denis O' Brien (SO) 25-54
    19. Brendan Dillon (SO) 26-04
    20. Conor Shovlin (St Killians) 26-04
    21. Chris Kennedy (SO) 26-04
    22. Dermot Foley (Menapians) 26-07
    23. Brendan Kirwan (US) 26-10
    24. Emmett Malone (US) 26-18
    25. Paul Fallon (Kilmore AC) 26-56
    26. Clom Stafford (US) 27-05
    27. Adrian Stafford (Kilmore) 27-32
    28. Paul Browne (SO) 27-55
    29. Stephen Coleman (St Killians) 28-35
    30. Eoin Ryan (DMP) 28-58
    31. David O' Neill (St Pauls) 28-49
    32. Stephen Whelan (Kilmore) 28-57
    33. Lar Doyle (SO) 31-52
    34. Dermot McGuinness (DMP) 33-04
    35. Tom Kearney (SBR) 33-24
    36. Paul Connick (St Pauls) 33-53

Teams (4 to score):
    1. Slaney Olympic
    2. SBR
    3. Slaney Olymic ''B''
    4. DMP
    5. United Striders

Pics of todays race can be found at this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54702558@N07/

Thanks ill pass it on to all the Slaney Olympic, Good race, great day for it

I see that the Wexford half-marathon has been taking over totally by the DMP club and all profits from the race are going back in to the club. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I see that the Wexford half-marathon has been taking over totally by the DMP club and all profits from the race are going back in to the club. Nice one.

Intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Results up on imra site for Sliabh Bhui race. Tom Hogan winning in a record time for the route. Bravo. Good turnout too.

• Advertisement

Next one up is the Masters road race in Enniscorthy. Taking place on Sunday at the old Dublin road at 11am. Anyone o/35 and a member of a Wexford club can take part. Entries on the day. Ladies race is 3km and mens is 6km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

If thats the case why is it still €40+ to enter ?
    Way to much for a race organised by an athletics club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sosa wrote: »
    If thats the case why is it still €40+ to enter ?
    Way to much for a race organised by an athletics club.

Would love to know the story with this. Anyone care to shed some light. Thought I saw original organiser parading an advertising hoarding through crowds at skyfest. That was on the 19th March.

Would love to know the story with this. Anyone care to shed some light. Thought I saw original organiser parading an advertising hoarding through crowds at skyfest. That was on the 19th March.
    My club mates had said to me that DMP had said at the last Athletics Wexford County Boards meeting that the event was now a DMP one. I asked the question over at the race thread and it was confirmed. Eoin is a member of DMP so it is likely that he would be still pushing the event.

Results for county masters now on Slaney Olympic web-site:-

RESULTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 happyJJ

This race promoter bashing really bugs me. The Wexford half is a great event and fair dues to the organisers. I do not think it is a good thing that is is going in to the hands of DMP. This club is is the most devisive and destructive clubs in the county. Their main aim in life is to knock and back bite the many superior clubs to them in the county. They are a small club with a niche in the throwing events. Certain officials in the club are very jealous of the great achivements of certain other clubs in the county.

happyJJ wrote: »
    This race promoter bashing really bugs me. The Wexford half is a great event and fair dues to the organisers. I do not think it is a good thing that is is going in to the hands of DMP. This club is is the most devisive and destructive clubs in the county. Their main aim in life is to knock and back bite the many superior clubs to them in the county. They are a small club with a niche in the throwing events. Certain officials in the club are very jealous of the great achivements of certain other clubs in the county.

With all due respect, and without questioning the accuracy what you're saying, this doesn't sound like the impartial opinion of someone who's not been in dispute with DMP or someone in the club.

I do agree that when a private individual or company sets out to organise an event, once they're upfront that its for profit then its fine - market forces will dictate its success.

However I do increasingly prefer to support events run by clubs because the profits do generally go back into the clubs to promote athletics.

DMP have a great tradition in distance running and I am certain they will do a great job with the race. It is very unfair to totally knock a club like that based on the behavior of individuals. I too prefer to run in club organized events and that is my own choice.

Kilmore AC are running a development week-end which has a middle distance element to it. Details at the following link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 happyJJ

Any groups or individuals training in the New Ross area for the Wex Half. I'm around 2 hour standard.

Advertisement