Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Sorry , it was not meant to offend Wextipp. I'm simply quoting a post on FB from one of their top runners.!!!??!!!
    Apologies to you, I just saw the FB comment there now. I'm sure that is just that persons opinion and not the whole club. There has been enough enter-club feuds down this end of the county and we surely don't need more starting. Puts runners in SBR in an awkward position as they have to take a side on it.

Latest list
    Name|Distance|Course cert no/year|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Ballygarret 8k|8k||?|Mon, 21st April|Macamores AC|Ballygarret|10
    Rosslare 10k|10k| |?|Mon, 21st April|Wexford Tri Club|Rosslare|13
    Wexford Half marathon|13.1 Miles| |yes|Sun,27th Apr|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|30
    Wexford 10k|10k| |yes|Sun,27th Apr|Ryano Event Management Ltd|Wexford Town|20
    Taghmon 10k|10k||No|Mon, 5th May|Taghmon Action Group|Taghmon|?
    County Master Road Race|3k/6k||no|Fri, 9th May|Wexford Athletics|Enniscorthy|5
    Vinegar Hill 5 mile|5 mile| |?|Sun, 18th May|St.Senan's Primary School.|Enniscorthy|?
    County Senior Road Race|5k/10k||No|Fri, 23rd May|Wexford Athletics|Kilmore|5
    Pearse Road 6km road race |6km||?|Sun, 1st Jun|Sacre Coeur boxing club|Enniscorthy|?
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 Miles| |?|Sun, 8th Jun|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|25
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile| |?|Sun, 8th Jun|Slaney Olympic AC|Enniscorthy|15
    Mick Murphy 4 mile|4 mile| |?|Sat, 14th Jun|Sliabh Buidhe Rovers AC|Ferns|?
    [URL=""]Monageer 5k[/URL]|5k||?|Fri, 20th Jun|Slaney/Monageer school|Monageer|?
    Kilmore Quay 5k|5km||No|Sat, 14th Jul|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|?
    Terrarath 5 mile|5 mile||?|Sat, 23rd Aug|United Striders AC|New Ross|?
    Kilmore 10k|10k||?|Sat, 13th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kllmore Village|?
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 Miles||?|Sun, 28th Sep|Sliabh Buidhe Rovers AC|Ferns|?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

If you could stick in the Monagear 5k on Friday June 20th Wextipp that'd be great....... From what I know it's basically the same course as last years race that was put on jointly between Slaney Olympic and the local school - I don't have any more details really, but the race permit was put before the county board at the last meeting and was approved.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Hey Wextipp,

Just a small note regarding the Taghmon 10k - It's Monday 5th, not 4th - Not being pedantic, but I'd hate to see someone lining up on the 4th!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

Thanks guys (or ladies :D) . Thanks for the feedback. The more the better.
    If you could stick in the Monagear 5k on Friday June 20th
    Done
    Podge83 wrote: »
    Taghmon 10k - It's Monday 5th, not 4th
    Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Just noticed on FB that the Ballygarrett 8k planned for Easter Monday 21st Apr has had to be cancelled...think will be rescheduled for later in the year.

The 10k is on again this year in Kilrush (between Ferns and Bunclody) - last year was its first outing - the Mogue O' Neill memorial Church to Church 10k.

Not exactly the easiest course in the world but around that neck of the woods it's probably as good as it's gonna get - pity it's clashing with the Vinegar Hill 5 miler but the calendar is becoming so congested, clashes are bound to start happening.

Facebook page is here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Church-to-Church-Mogue-ONeill-Memorial-10-km-Run-and-Family-Walk/299571533541552
    - you def won't run a PB but for anyone who likes a challenge (and hills!!) and a local race put on for runners by runners, then this is up your street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

My first race ever today in Rosslare and what can I say...I totally loved it. Great weather, lovely atmosphere and very well organised.

While I didn't beat my PB,(I didn't try anyway) I was just enjoying the run, without any pressure.

Can't wait to do another run now.

Another race has popped up - the Kilmyshall 10k and 5k on Sunday May 25th. It's being run as a fundraiser to help with the school extension. Plans are in place to have the race AAI-permitted and to have the course measured officially. They have a facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/GetMovin4KilmyshallNS

I'm sure plenty more info will emerge over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Is strawberry half using the same route as previous years? What's it like in comparison to wexford half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

There's a 5k and 10k fun run /walk in Kilmuckridge on May Bank Holiday Monday
    at 12pm

Scroll down here for details

http://lovegorey.ie/do-see/whats-on/

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Also there's a 10k and 5k in Blackwater on June 22nd, organised by Blackwater GAA

http://www.runireland.com/events/blackwater-10k-road-race5k-fun-run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

webpal wrote: »
    Is strawberry half using the same route as previous years? What's it like in comparison to wexford half?

A lot tougher but also a very beautiful route. Up and down constantly.

Good for the soul but not so good for PB's

I would definitely go back

The ''Run with Ray for 5k'' in Craanford has been pencilled in for Saturday evening August 16th so stick it in your diaries - a nice course, with the only hill worth talking about coming at the start when ur good and fresh, so not a bother to anyone :D

By the way, seeing as some people were waxing lyrical about the banana, cuppa soup and finger roll after the wex half/10k on Sunday, why don't ye give any of the good club races a shot and ye'll be bowled over the by the lovely grub at any of these - home baking, all the hot tea/coffee u can drink and lots more yummmmmmmmmm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

By the way, seeing as some people were waxing lyrical about the banana, cuppa soup and finger roll after the wex half/10k on Sunday, why don't ye give any of the good club races a shot and ye'll be bowled over the by the lovely grub at any of these - home baking, all the hot tea/coffee u can drink and lots more yummmmmmmmmm :)

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

The ''Run with Ray for 5k'' in Craanford has been pencilled in for Saturday evening August 16th so stick it in your diaries - a nice course, with the only hill worth talking about coming at the start when ur good and fresh, so not a bother to anyone :D

Could not agree more.
    Ferns half I ate my fill. Oylegate plenty of grub. Even the short races.
    All I can say is if people want to pay double the price and very little grub let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

And quite a fill it is too village runner

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Hi has anyone got any info on the course(s) for the races this Friday, I know it's on the old dublin road, but is it the small loop, big loop, combination of both or a us there a link to the route anywhere...Thanks.

Cooldog wrote: »
    Hi has anyone got any info on the course(s) for the races this Friday, I know it's on the old dublin road, but is it the small loop, big loop, combination of both or a us there a link to the route anywhere...Thanks.

Slaney Olympic are hosting the races and speaking to one of their members yesterday at the Taghmon 10k, they're thinking two laps of the small route for the women (4k) and three laps of this for the men (6k), which would make sense from a spectators but I'm sure this will be confirmed (or changed) on athletics wexford facebook page during the week....

as an aside, i see the ''Trip to Cullenstown'' is now a 5k this year, maybe it'll encourage more people to run it as the 12k was a fair oul slog :)

Slaney Olympic are hosting the races and speaking to one of their members yesterday at the Taghmon 10k, they're thinking two laps of the small route for the women (4k) and three laps of this for the men (6k), which would make sense from a spectators but I'm sure this will be confirmed (or changed) on athletics wexford facebook page during the week....

as an aside, i see the ''Trip to Cullenstown'' is now a 5k this year, maybe it'll encourage more people to run it as the 12k was a fair oul slog :)

Thanks Bewleysberry, yes great for the spectators but 3 times up that main road for the men, maybe sometime some club will do something crazy and put a race on a course that's actually about the runners and not the spectators (novel idea eh), these county races seem to be all on multiple lap courses and hard courses too the novice and int this year were prime examples, I know it's the same for everybody but not everybody will be in line for medals or positions and a nice course that you could run a good time on surely isn't too much of an ask.

• Advertisement

I see in the paper that an Irish 10k record was set in the Rosslare 10k. I don't think it will count though as it was not a AAI certified race. It's a pity that more road races don't get an official measurerer certificate to allow for this. I'd say very few races in Wexford have one, even some of the ones with an AAI permit. Can anybody list them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

wextipp wrote: »
    I see in the paper that an Irish 10k record was set in the Rosslare 10k.

What record was that?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

j0hn1 wrote: »
    What record was that?
    Thanks

The female Over-55 record for 10k, I presume.

Any Wexford races that have recently been made public have now been added to the fixture list on www.sbrclub.com - there's a large variety of short and long distance road races in the county now - wonder will we see any trail/off road races cropping up over the Summer?

Hi just looking for a bit of advice thinking of doing a half marathon soon and I am caught between the Enniscorthy Half and the Viking Half in Waterford, just wondering if anyone has done either or both of these and if so which one would be considered the fairest course or even if either would be a PB course, did the Ferns half last year and found it not too bad, would either be similar tp that one...Thanks.

.... Enniscorthy Half .... Viking Half in Waterford,

The Enniscorthy Half of course :D

Hi just looking for a bit of advice thinking of doing a half marathon soon and I am caught between the Enniscorthy Half and the Viking Half in Waterford, just wondering if anyone has done either or both of these and if so which one would be considered the fairest course or even if either would be a PB course, did the Ferns half last year and found it not too bad, would either be similar tp that one...Thanks.

I've only done the strawberry half so can't comment on the Viking half. Once u've got the long work done for the strawberry half it's a great race, but the first half of the course is fairly undulating and much tougher than the second half, so try to start a little conservatively if possible. It always seems to get great weather too, which is a bonus as it's great finishing back in the main wexford road with the sun scorching ya out of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Anyone know anything about the Jim Carton 10k memorial in Gorey on July 6th please?

RAFA B wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the Jim Carton 10k memorial in Gorey on July 6th please?

I'm giving a small hand out in the organisation so here's what I know so far - it'll start and finish in Ballyfad village, which is 8 or 10 miles north of Gorey. The route hasn't been tied down yet because there's no exact 10km course around Ballyfad, but being honest it's going to be a tough hilly course no matter what direction they go in that area, as you're in the shadow of Croghan.

It's the committe of the local hall in Ballyfad, along with members of The Worx gym in Gorey (where Jim Carton was a fitness instructor before he passed away) that are organising the event. Seeing as Jim was a native of Ballyfad, they want it held around the village, with the foothills of Croghan probably being taken in during the race.

As soon as I get a route I'll post it here........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I'm giving a small hand out in the organisation so here's what I know so far - it'll start and finish in Ballyfad village, which is 8 or 10 miles north of Gorey. The route hasn't been tied down yet because there's no exact 10km course around Ballyfad, but being honest it's going to be a tough hilly course no matter what direction they go in that area, as you're in the shadow of Croghan.

It's the committe of the local hall in Ballyfad, along with members of The Worx gym in Gorey (where Jim Carton was a fitness instructor before he passed away) that are organising the event. Seeing as Jim was a native of Ballyfad, they want it held around the village, with the foothills of Croghan probably being taken in during the race.

As soon as I get a route I'll post it here........

Many thanks for the reply. I remember Jim briefly from the forest park gym in Courtown. Any idea how to enter please?

Advertisement