Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Screenshot_2014-06-07-21-01-07_1.jpg

Hi folks, we are hosting a charity run / walk with all proceeds going to Crumlin Hospital. This promises to be a spectacular event.

It's in memory of my son Ben who died in 2012 after a brave battle with cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's in the calendar Bernard. Looking forward to it.

Does anyone have a link to a route for the Ferns 4 Mile this weekend? Just wondering what the course is like.
    *Edit* Scratch that. Found a link here

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

It's in the calendar Bernard. Looking forward to it.

Does anyone have a link to a route for the Ferns 4 Mile this weekend? Just wondering what the course is like.
    *Edit* Scratch that. Found a link here

Nicely found KC :) If yourself or anyone has any other queries on the Mick Murphy memorial four miler in Ferns this coming Saturday (June 14th @ 5pm) there's plenty of info on www.sbrclub.com or just leave a comment here and I'll answer it as best I can. Looking forward to seeing a large turnout on Saturday evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nicely found KC :) If yourself or anyone has any other queries on the Mick Murphy memorial four miler in Ferns this coming Saturday (June 14th @ 5pm) there's plenty of info on www.sbrclub.com or just leave a comment here and I'll answer it as best I can. Looking forward to seeing a large turnout on Saturday evening :)
    Fab race. Really high standard. Fantastic value too, at just €15. I'm feeling very full of cake. :) Well done to SBR. Will definitely be back. A proper runner's race.

Fab race. Really high standard. Fantastic value too, at just €15. I'm feeling very full of cake. :) Well done to SBR. Will definitely be back. A proper runner's race.

Thanks KC - good to hear. And thanks for all the support from Sli Cualann, there were a great gang of ye :)

Results are now up on www.sbrclub.com, while there's plenty of pics on Sliabh Buidhe Rovers' facebook page.

• Advertisement

RAFA B wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply. I remember Jim briefly from the forest park gym in Courtown. Any idea how to enter please?

The Jim Carton memorial road race is now a five miler........and you can run or walk the five miles distance.....entry will be on the day (there won't be online entry) and it'll be fifteen euro...... everyone will get a medal too..... route is being worked out, but it looks like starting at the school, taking a left turn up Croghan for a mile, then turning right and back around to the village, with the last 2or3 km being flat and downhill...but will post up as soon as I have proper confirmation :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Hi.

Has anyone got the route for the Blackwater 10k?

Haven't done much trainng lately and unsure if I will be fit enough for it, especially with the recent temperatures we are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

The Jim Carton memorial road race is now a five miler........and you can run or walk the five miles distance.....entry will be on the day (there won't be online entry) and it'll be fifteen euro...... everyone will get a medal too..... route is being worked out, but it looks like starting at the school, taking a left turn up Croghan for a mile, then turning right and back around to the village, with the last 2or3 km being flat and downhill...but will post up as soon as I have proper confirmation :-)

Thanks very much.

SusanneKn wrote: »
    Hi.

Has anyone got the route for the Blackwater 10k?

Haven't done much trainng lately and unsure if I will be fit enough for it, especially with the recent temperatures we are having.

There's a map of the route up on Blackwater GAAs website at this link http://blackwater.gaa.ie/?p=3373 but I haven't got much more detail......

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Just a an update on the Kilmore Quay Seafood festival 5k road race. Last year we had our biggest entry ever. The big crowd made it very hard to manage though. This year we are splitting the event in to two races. There is a ladies race at 7:10pm and a men's race at 7:30pm. We will have the free u/14 800m race at 7pm. You can book on-line for a tenner at the active web-site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Kauto Star

Fair play to Blackwater GAA on their first 10k race. It was a really tough 10k which felt like uphill all the way.
    Was organised well and there was a fantastic spread put on after it, range of sandwiches, oranges, strawberries and cream, cakes, scones, coffee, water, absolutely lovely. Great way to enjoy a tough race and fair play to all who contributed with the food.
    Hopefully plenty of money was raised and the race will be continued next year

Kauto Star wrote: »
    Fair play to Blackwater GAA on their first 10k race. It was a really tough 10k which felt like uphill all the way.
    Was organised well and there was a fantastic spread put on after it, range of sandwiches, oranges, strawberries and cream, cakes, scones, coffee, water, absolutely lovely. Great way to enjoy a tough race and fair play to all who contributed with the food.
    Hopefully plenty of money was raised and the race will be continued next year

Have to echo your comments there - well organised race over a tough course and the feeding after was some of the best I've seen on the Wexford circuit or anywhere really (the strawberries and cream went down a treat and I consoled myself that it was some of my five a day :D).

On another note, the SBR Summer league is starting on Wednesday July 2nd at 8pm in Ferns and will run for eight weeks, with the league moving around to other towns like last year. Full info is on www.sbrclub.com or Sliabh Buidhe Rovers' facebook page - the league is open to everyone and are always good races whether you're looking to break into road running or looking for a competitive race against club runners :)

Here's a ''map my run'' link to the race route for this Sundays Jim Carton memorial five miler.....it is a very scenic route and I ran it for the first time last week, but anyone thinking of doing it, be warned it's a VERY tough road race.... hope this helps :)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/458704198

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi folks, I know its early days but the the Ben5k is now open for registration. Another for the Wexford Race Calendar. You can register by clicking the logo below. Its a 100% Charity Event with all proceeds going to Crumlin Hospital for the treatment and care of children battling cancer.
    ben5kactive.jpg

On-line entry open until mid-night tomorrow (Thursday). Just click on the picture.
    [URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/506858/313958.png[/IMG][/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Trip to Cullenstown

Hi does anyone have any info on the Trip to Cullenstown 5K thats part of the Phil Murphy Weekend in Carrig-on-Bannow, I think it was a 12K in previous years. Just wondering is there's usually many runners or what is the course like...Thanks.

Cooldog wrote: »
    Trip to Cullenstown

Hi does anyone have any info on the Trip to Cullenstown 5K thats part of the Phil Murphy Weekend in Carrig-on-Bannow, I think it was a 12K in previous years. Just wondering is there's usually many runners or what is the course like...Thanks.

Hey Cooldog, I've very little info about it, but road and cross county secretary JM was telling me the 5k will take place on the same roads as the 12k and he says it'll be a tough 5k.... gulp :) It'll still go to Cullenstown seemingly and is a lovely scenic part of the county.

They usually don't get a large turnout for it - I ran it two years ago but spectated last year. It's mostly club runners or locals/holiday makers who do a bit of running to keep fit - I'm fairly sure there wouldn't have been anywhere near 100 in it last year.

Just a heads up - anyone looking for a nice 5k route

I'm helping organise a fun run in aid of Haiti on Sunday July 27th in Gorey.

It'll start at 11am outside Ballyloughan business park (which is on the Arklow road). Registration takes place on the morning from 10am in Redmonds Home and Garden Centre, which is at the start line. Entry is ten euro.

Full info is on the event page on facebook - Gorey 5k fun run.

It's a great route, with slight drags for the first mile, but the rest is either downhill or flat so there should be some PBs posted :)

We'll have full results and pics posted on FB after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Just noticed the Murrintown NS 10k is on again this year - Sunday 21st Sept 2014 at 12pm. DMP Athletic Club support the event. Can register online at runireland.com or on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

We are pleased to annouce this year's Oylegate Half Marathon and 10km road race will take place on Sunday the 31st of August 2014.
    This year's half marathon course is a new flat course. The best in the South East!
    Event schedule and times
    All entrants should park at Oylegate/Glenbrien GAA club
    Half Marathon start 10:00am
    10K race start 10:30am

http://www.active.com/enniscorthy-wexford/running/distance-running-races/oylegate-half-marathon-and-10km-2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Anyone else doing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissCatherine_

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Anyone else doing this ?

Oylegate 10k? I am registered but info on the event seems sparse. I checked the website but it is for 2013's race. I checked my account on active.com through which I registered but again they have little info. RunIreland has little info also. I see though that the route is flat(or at least it is for the half so I assume the10k will be similar)

A few friends want to sign up last min, will there be registration tomorrow morning if they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Has anyone got the route for the 10k Murrintown on the 21/9?
    Could not find it online.

Also did I see some advertising for a 10k in Blackwater on the 13/9 while I was driving the other day?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Just to confirm that next years Ferrycarrig 5 Five Mile Road Race will take place on 4 January 2015.

It's over the same course from the same venue run by the same team.

On Line entry will open in October.

Long way off, but just claiming the slot on the calendar. Mayglass NS are holding a 4 mile road race on May 4th (Bank holiday Monday). More details soon.

322366.png

Going to give this a go again. Just added 3 for the moment and will dig around for more. If anybody has any mods or additions let me know. Just going to keep it to road races and leave out the club leagues. Mention your course certification number/date if you have one.

Name|Distance|Course cert no/year|Chip|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Ferns Half Marathon|13.1 Miles||?|Sun, 28th Sep|Sliabh Buidhe Rovers AC|Ferns|25
    Ferrycarrig 5 Mile|5 mile||?|Sun, 4th Jan|Crossabeg/Ballymurn Community|Ferrycarrig|?
    Mayglass 4 mile|4 mile||?|Mon, 4th May|Mayglass NS|Mayglass|?

With all the Strictly Come Dancing races etc it's hard to keep up to date with what's going on. Some are well organised and others not so - there were 4 races on in County Wexford alone last Sunday!!! And results etc aren't appearing from some races, so maybe it's best to keep the list to those races that will be organised for runners by runners etc.

... And results etc aren't appearing from some races, so maybe it's best to keep the list to those races that will be organised for runners by runners etc.
    Totally agree. Even some of the races that get an AAI permit don't bother to publish proper results if at all. Most of us like to check up on how our club mates and friends get on in the different races. At the very least a race should be:

Measured correctly
    Properly stewarded to ensure the safety of the runners.
    Timed correctly
    Proper results published within 24 hours, with Name, place, club and time.

Anything else is a bonus and if an AAI club is getting involved with a race they should insist on all of the above.

wextipp wrote: »
    Totally agree. Even some of the races that get an AAI permit don't bother to publish proper results if at all. Most of us like to check up on how our club mates and friends get on in the different races. At the very least a race should be:

Measured correctly
    Properly stewarded to ensure the safety of the runners.
    Timed correctly
    Proper results published within 24 hours, with Name, place, club and time.

Anything else is a bonus and if an AAI club is getting involved with a race they should insist on all of the above.

Exactly.......have to say that most of the races that are held in Wexford do all the above well and are prompt on results but there have just been a couple lately that haven't produced results or have fallen down on the basics and it can give a bad impression for all the other well-organised races........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Wextipp,

Don't forget about the run for Ben 5k on 1 March 2015 Should be a good race being run by runners for a great cause with a story attached.

Regarding Ferrycarrig 5, Plan is for it to be chip timed and plan is also for fee to be as last year (will publish officially when rubber stamped by Race Committee). Will post permit number when secured. Waiting for County Board meeting on 15 Oct to get permit application signed.

For now we'll worry about the Half on Sunday - How are the Numbers Bewley?

Advertisement