Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Thinking about it again it might be better to list all races and let people make up their own mind about the races they take part in based on the info we publish. I would propose classifying the races as follows. Any Wexford races out there that believe they are A1.

For example for the Mayglass race I am involved in I would be aiming for 2A.

Class|Description
    1A|Officially measured cert, chip timed, AAI cert and a commitment to publishing proper results
    1B|Officially measured and race timed using chip timing
    2A|Course measured by an official course measurer and the cert published, AAI cert, manually timed and a commitment to publishing proper results
    2B|Course measured by an official course measurer and the cert published
    FR|Fun or charity run

Thinking about it again it might be better to list all races and let people make up their own mind about the races they take part in based on the info we publish. I would propose classifying the races as follows. Any Wexford races out there that believe they are 1A.

Class|Description
    1A|Officially measured cert, chip timed, AAI cert and a commitment to publishing proper results
    2A|Course measured by an official course measurer and the cert published, AAI cert, manually timed and a commitment to publishing proper results
    FR|Fun or charity run

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Podge83 wrote: »
    Wextipp,

For now we'll worry about the Half on Sunday - How are the Numbers Bewley?

Numbers are at exactly the same level as at this stage last year Podge so looks like we're on for in and around the 200 mark again, although with on-the-day reg U just don't know how many U could get. Ur running it are ya?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Numbers are at exactly the same level as at this stage last year Podge so looks like we're on for in and around the 200 mark again, although with on-the-day reg U just don't know how many U could get. Ur running it are ya?? :)

Yeah, I'll give it a bash - I want one of those Pink T shirts!!.

It wont be long till your heals disappear into the distance on me though!!

wextipp wrote: »
    Thinking about it again it might be better to list all races and let people make up their own mind about the races they take part in based on the info we publish. I would propose classifying the races as follows. Any Wexford races out there that believe they are 1A.

Class|Description
    FR|Fun or charity run

Don't over complicate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Don't over complicate!

+1

Don't over complicate!

Agreed.

What most runners want is an accurately measured/timed race. I'll go with
    0 = fun run
    1 = certified measured course
    2 = certified/chip timed.

The AAI permit is irrelevant as they are issued to race organizers in some cases where they haven't got the course measured by an approved measurer. Also having chip timing means nothing if the course distance is not certified. The course measurers cert is key really and is valid for 4 years I think. Might me a good idea for race organizers to post a copy of the measurers cert on-line as prove that the course is certified.

Agreed.

What most runners want is an accurately measured/timed race. I'll go with
    0 = fun run
    1 = certified measured course
    2 = certified/chip timed.

The AAI permit is irrelevant as they are issued to race organizers in some cases where they haven't got the course measured by an approved measurer. Also having chip timing means nothing if the course distance is not certified. The course measurers cert is key really and is valid for 4 years I think. Might me a good idea for race organizers to post a copy of the measurers cert on-line as prove that the course is certified.

Course must be measured by an approved measurer to get a cert. The "measure" is valid for 5 years as long as the course isn't changed.

... Course must be measured by an approved measurer to get a cert ..

Should happen, but doesn't. I know of at least one race last year that got a permit without a course cert from an approved AAI measurer. This makes the permit irrelevant as it casts a doubt on them all.

Should happen, but doesn't. I know of at least one race last year that got a permit without a course cert from an approved AAI measurer. This makes the permit irrelevant as it casts a doubt on them all.

I suppose there's no answer to that, only to add that its also possible to get a forged driving license, passport etc.

It definitely however doesn't make the permit irrelevant as there are certain rules relative to AAI athletes running in "non-permit" races (Strictly speaking, according to the county board they shouldn't - although this would be unenforceable and as a rule is a bit silly). Also, any records (or indeed qualifying times) are not recognized if race does not have a permit. There are also insurance questions which are only irrelevant until something happens.

• Advertisement

It definitely however doesn't make the permit irrelevant
    I agree when it comes to insurance, prevention of races clashing etc. that it is relevant. However purely from a quality control point of view it is irrelevant as it doesn't ensure that a race with an AAI permit is accurately measured. It is more than likely to be but then again it may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Anyway Back to Race questions... Interested in doing the Ferns half this Sunday, just wondering are there any Garmin profiles of the course?

Failing that what's the profile like compared to the Strawberry half in Enniscorthy in the summer ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Anyway Back to Race questions... Interested in doing the Ferns half this Sunday, just wondering are there any Garmin profiles of the course?

Failing that what's the profile like compared to the Strawberry half in Enniscorthy in the summer ?

I don't have a garmin profile but here's a ''map my run'' profile so hope this helps www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/500760980

Personally I wouldn't call it as tough a course as the strawberry half, cos it's more rolling, but the last mile and three quarters is a steady climb so that usually sticks in everyones head from a hilly point of view

Yeah, I'll give it a bash - I want one of those Pink T shirts!!.

It wont be long till your heals disappear into the distance on me though!!
    I'm not running - have a few little jobs to do with the race so that's as good as excuse as any to bow out :p

The tee-shirt will suit ya though - Wexford Youths will be looking to sign ya up when they see ya in the pink :D

Good on ya though Podge, U'll have a good run hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Just had a look at the list and it seems that after tomorrow the road race scene in Wexford is done for the year would that be correct or does anyone know of anything else that's coming up...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

There is a 10k beach race if thats any use.
    http://born2runevents.com/surf-n-turf-race-page/

Ferns half was a good show again this year. Tough enough course.

Fair play to Ross Runner - flew past me but didn't get a chance for the chat after. The last time i heard footsteps that fast behind me I was being chased by the Gardai!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Hey Podge....
    First time i ever got the better of ya and probably the last!
    Great to see ya back on the roads....
    Yeah was very tough out ther today, tough rolling course with an unforgiving sun...
    Well done SBR on a fantastic event.....

Date|Day|Time|Fee|Name|Dist|Location|Organizer|Status|Measurer/Year|Chip Time|AAI Permit
    04-Oct|Sat|09:00|40|Surf & Turf Marathon|26.2 Mile|Curacloe|Born2Run Ltd.|For profit|No|Yes|No
    | |11:00|30|Surf & Turf Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Curacloe|Born2Run Ltd.|For profit|No|Yes|No
    | |11:45|25|Surf & Turf 10k|10k|Curacloe|Born2Run Ltd.|For profit|No|Yes|No
    05-Oct|Sun|13:00|3|County Novice Cross Country|3k/6k|JFK Park, New Ross|Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    12-Oct|Sun|13:00|3|County Intermediate Cross Country|4k/8k|Rosslare |Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    14-Dec|Sun|14:00|3|County Senior Cross Country|5k/10k|Kilmore|Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    04-Jan|Sun|?|?|Ferrycarrig 5 mile|5 mile|Ferrycarrig|Crossabeg/Ballymurn Community|Community|?|?|Yes
    11-Jan|Sun|?|3|County Masters Cross Country|?|?|Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    01-Mar|Sun|11:00|12|Ben5k.com|5k|Wexford Town|Ben5k|Charity|No|No|No
    06-Apr|Mon|?|?|Rosslare 10k|10k|Rosslare Strand|Wexford Tri Club|Club|No|Yes|No
    26-Apr|Sun|?|?|Wexford Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Wexford Town|Ryano Event Management Ltd|For profit|?|Yes|Yes
    | |?|?|Wexford 10k|10k||Ryano Event Management Ltd|For profit|?|Yes|Yes
    04-May|Mon|11:00|10|Mayglass 4 Mile|4 Mile|Mayglass|Mayglass NS|Community|?|No|?

Very happy how the Ferns half marathon went off yesterday - thanks to everyone who ran it and helped out :)

The last couple of miles are tough, but there is plenty of good running out in the country and unfortunately there was nothing we could do about the strong sun :D although we're looking at an earlier start time next of 10 or 11am, as September always seems to be a warm month..

Onto the cross country now................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Yes have to agree... the Slaney Drive section of the course is six or so miles of lovely running....especialy the part thats all in the shade....

great course as a DCM warm up!!

Yes have to agree... the Slaney Drive section of the course is six or so miles of lovely running....especialy the part thats all in the shade....

I noticed that you enjoyed that part of the course alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Any race photos ?

Was going to do the race, but the start was just a bit to late for me at 12:00pm, might do it next year though??

Just added the Rathnure 10k charity run.
    Date|Day|Time|Fee|Name|Dist|Location|Organizer|Status|Measurer/Year|Chip Time|AAI Permit
    04-Oct|Sat|09:00|40|Surf & Turf Marathon|26.2 Mile|Curacloe|Born2Run Ltd.|For profit|No|Yes|No
    | |11:00|30|Surf & Turf Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Curacloe|Born2Run Ltd.|For profit|No|Yes|No
    | |11:45|25|Surf & Turf 10k|10k|Curacloe|Born2Run Ltd.|For profit|No|Yes|No
    05-Oct|Sun|13:00|3|County Novice Cross Country|3k/6k|JFK Park, New Ross|Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    05-Oct|Sun|12:00|10|Rathnure 10k|10k|Rathnure|Turning the tide of suicide|Charity|No|No|No
    12-Oct|Sun|13:00|3|County Intermediate Cross Country|4k/8k|Rosslare |Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    14-Dec|Sun|14:00|3|County Senior Cross Country|5k/10k|Kilmore|Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    04-Jan|Sun|?|?|Ferrycarrig 5 mile|5 mile|Ferrycarrig|Crossabeg/Ballymurn Community|Community|?|?|Yes
    11-Jan|Sun|?|3|County Masters Cross Country|?|?|Athletics Wexford|Championship|?|No|Yes
    01-Mar|Sun|11:00|12|Ben5k.com|5k|Wexford Town|Ben5k|Charity|No|No|No
    06-Apr|Mon|?|?|Rosslare 10k|10k|Rosslare Strand|Wexford Tri Club|Club|No|Yes|No
    26-Apr|Sun|?|?|Wexford Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Wexford Town|Ryano Event Management Ltd|For profit|?|Yes|Yes
    | |?|?|Wexford 10k|10k||Ryano Event Management Ltd|For profit|?|Yes|Yes
    04-May|Mon|11:00|10|Mayglass 4 Mile|4 Mile|Mayglass|Mayglass NS|Community|?|No|?

Just a note to confirm that the start time for the Ferrycarrig 5 2015 is now confirmed as 4 January 2015 at 12.00 Noon. The race has been moved an hour earlier due to feedback from runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

wextipp, just to confirm that Ben5k is AAI certified.

Folks there is an early bird on this of €12 until the 31st December 2014, then it goes to €15 thereafter. Also numbers are filling up fast, so if you want a good fast 5k with a bit of theatre thrown in, get in there, it's for a great cause

ben5kactive.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I heard a rumor today that there is a parkrun starting in Johnstown Castle next month. Does anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I also heard one in kennedy park New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

As far as I know the Kennedy Park one is a done deal and only a matter of time until it kicks off. Early February was the date I heard.

First to hear about Johnstown Castle though not a bad spot for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

pointer28 wrote: »
    As far as I know the Kennedy Park one is a done deal and only a matter of time until it kicks off. Early February was the date I heard.

First to hear about Johnstown Castle though not a bad spot for it.

I believe Kennedy Park is a joint endeavour between United Striders and St Josephs athletic clubs. Looking like late Feb/early Mar kick off. Great to have one in the SE, nice catchment area

Advertisement