Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

webpal wrote: »
    10k in taghmon, think it's monday

Taghmon is just down the road so might be an option as well, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

The Johnstown parkrun is on every saturday and it's a great course. Even if you decided to race a different day you could always take it handy and enjoy the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Does anyone know if there is a list of the winners & category winners for both the 10K and half published anywhere...Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Cooldog wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a list of the winners & category winners for both the 10K and half published anywhere...Thanks.

I've never seen a list of winners published for it....just the normal results....... I think it's first, second and third (male and female) in both the half and 10k, then the first three (male and female) under 40 and first three (male and female over 40) in both races too...... although the age categories aren't on the results (ie - just senior or vet)...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

2 minute tour of Mayglass 4 mile route with a bit of Corner Boy as the soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

wextipp wrote: »
    2 minute tour of Mayglass 4 mile route with a bit of Corner Boy as the soundtrack.

I am sure I will get lost :eek:...will the turn offs be marked ?

SusanneKn wrote: »
    I am sure I will get lost :eek:...will the turn offs be marked ?
    Don't worry. It's a lot easier at a slower pace. Just follow the black and bright green arrows and the directions from our marshals and you will have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone know where to register for the taghmon race? Can't find anything for online registration on runireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

chabsey wrote: »
    Anyone know where to register for the taghmon race? Can't find anything for online registration on runireland.

I did this race last year and I'm sure it'll be the same set-up tomorrow = reg was in the TAG centre last year........this is the big new community centre in the village........just drive straight up the hill (main street) in the village and it's at the top on the left-hand-side, U can't miss it, it's a fine, brand new building.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yep €15, starts at 11.

• Advertisement

Times now up for our run. Thanks everyone who took part. Small first step for our little race.
    http://runmayglass.com/?page_id=10

As pointed out in previous posts I see the Wexford marathon is on the same day as the Strawberry half. The full marathon is advertised as having been 'AAI measured'
    348826.png
    which is odd as the AAI do not measure courses they only provide permits for courses that are measured by an AAI approved measurer. It can't be AAI permitted as the Strawberry half has the permit for that day if it is the official county championship half marathon. Anyone know much about the full marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

As pointed out in previous posts I see the Wexford marathon is on the same day as the Strawberry half. The full marathon is advertised as having been 'AAI measured'
    348826.png
    which is odd as the AAI do not measure courses they only provide permits for courses that are measured by an AAI approved measurer. It can't be AAI permitted as the Strawberry half has the permit for that day if it is the official county championship half marathon. Anyone know much about the full marathon.

Could be a play on words - AAI Measured (ie measured by an approved AAI measurer). They don't claim to have a permit from what I can see.

They suggest that most runners will be from outside the county. It'll be interesting to see what way the numbers work out between the races.

I still think that its odd that both races are on the same day. There are many race clashes in the county these days (at least 2 on this Sunday that I know about) but a Marathon and Half Marathon starting barely 14 miles apart from each other is surely beyond saturation in any part of the World!!

Interesting note (Forgive me if pointed out above but this isn't actually Wexford Towns first Marathon. The National Marathon Champs was held in Wexford Town in 1988 (won by Dick Hooper and remained his PB).

Podge83 wrote: »
    Interesting note (Forgive me if pointed out above but this isn't actually Wexford Towns first Marathon. The National Marathon Champs was held in Wexford Town in 1988 (won by Dick Hooper and remained his PB).

You are spot on !. It is on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Hooper

Maybe, Wexford's first Marathon in modern times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Looking at that link I must be corrected - Dick Hooper actually finished second. Who Won?? - Google not allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Could be a play on words - AAI Measured (ie measured by an approved AAI measurer). They don't claim to have a permit from what I can see.

They suggest that most runners will be from outside the county. It'll be interesting to see what way the numbers work out between the races.

I still think that its odd that both races are on the same day. There are many race clashes in the county these days (at least 2 on this Sunday that I know about) but a Marathon and Half Marathon starting barely 14 miles apart from each other is surely beyond saturation in any part of the World!!

Its actually bad form having it on the same day as the half. If its not AAI permitted, i would avoid also considering its the first year of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Its actually bad form having it on the same day as the half. If its not AAI permitted, i would avoid also considering its the first year of it.
    Ur assuming the mara oganisers put it on to coinside with the strawberry half,how do u know who organised the date first,as far as i can remember the strawberry half was usually on in may,maybe the wexford marathon organisers picked june so as not to conflict with the usual strawberry half date and den straeberry half changed their usual date...who knows

The Strawberry Half was 8th June last year. http://www.active.com/enniscorthy-cowexford/running/distance-running-races/strawberry-half-marathon-5m-run-15k-walk-2014

Although there did seem to be a bit of doubt if it was going ahead this year based on the discussions early on in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

apoligies i stand corrected,supose the doubt that you mention may have come in to it,has the half mara changed ownership,so to speak, from the festival organisers to slaney ac or was it always organised by them?

ultraman1 wrote: »
    apoligies i stand corrected,supose the doubt that you mention may have come in to it,has the half mara changed ownership,so to speak, from the festival organisers to slaney ac or was it always organised by them?
    The Porters, members of Slaney Olympic started it all, put a lot of hard work in to building it up. They handed it over to Slaney either last year or the year before that I think.

• Advertisement

Looking at that link I must be corrected - Dick Hooper actually finished second. Who Won?? - Google not allowed!
    Sorry, had to Google it.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Just noticed that the organizer of the Full marathon is a member of Slaney Olympic who are the organizers of the half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just noticed that the organizer of the Full marathon is a member of Slaney Olympic who are the organizers of the half marathon.

Hopefully both races end up getting good numbers and not take away from each other and ends up stopping both races.

Be great if they pushed the marathon thru main st on the town and around the quay, take in the town properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

That sounds like bad form to me tbh.

Be great if they pushed the marathon thru main st on the town and around the quay, take in the town properly.
    I ran in the first Wexford half-marathon and it brought us through Redmond Square and down the whole length of the main street and then back on to the quays. It was great.
    This marathon is starting in the Faythe and heading out the same direction as the half and past Johnstown castle out in the country and back in the same route to the Faythe.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

just wondering are there any races on this coming sunday in wexford town, 5kms/miles. (Im aware the vinegar hill is on Sunday in enniscorthy)
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Parkrun 5k in Johnstown Castle every Saturday at 9:30.

http://www.parkrun.ie/johnstown/

ac20 wrote: »
    just wondering are there any races on this coming sunday in wexford town, 5kms/miles. (Im aware the vinegar hill is on Sunday in enniscorthy)
    thanks
    SBR keep an up-to-date fixture list.
    http://www.sbrclub.com/fixtures.html

The Tomhaggard 5k has it's first running on Sunday 23rd August @ 11am. 10 Euro entry and you can enter from 9:30 at the centre in Tomhaggard. Details on their Facebook Page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Has anyone ever run in the half marathon in Curracole in October? I think it's road, trail and beach. Just wondering what it was like? Thanks.

Advertisement