Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Does anyone have a garmin profile for the Enniscorthy 10k? I assume this is fairly hilly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Does anyone have a garmin profile for the Enniscorthy 10k? I assume this is fairly hilly?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/13849408

It is a hilly one but you make up the time and then some on the downhills. Looped course so you not getting unfair advantage but I still have clocked my last 2 PBs on this course. Would recomnend this one big time if you are looking for fast times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Podge83 wrote: »
    I think it is. Keep an eye on the Slaney Olympic AC website

From what I hear this won't be going ahead this month anyway, though there will be a race as partof the summer league. So we'll have to hold on for the Enniscorthy 10k onFeb 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 freedom13

Road Running Events in Wexford 2012

I loved following the similiar thread last year and found some great races to participate in and since there doesn't seem to be anyone to take up the baton I thought why not ... I have no affiliations with any club, I just run for the love of running. Please feel free to post any and all races in the county and comment freely.

Enniscorthy 10km - Feb 12th
    http://www.runireland.com/events/enniscorthy-10k

Duncannon 10km - Feb 26th
    http://www.runireland.com/events/celtic-link-duncannon-10k

Wexford Half Marathon and 10km Run - April 22nd
    http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com/

Rosslare 10km - April 9th
    http://www.runireland.com/events/rosslare-10km

Strawberry Half Marathon, 5 Mile Race, 15 km Walk - June 24th
    http://www.runireland.com/events/strawberry-half-marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Sliabh Buidhe Rovers A.C. are staging a Winter series of road races in Ferns. Co. Wexford beginning this Thursday evening (January 19th) at 7-30pm. The races will take place around the ''V'' in Ferns village and will comprise a five lap race for the men (3.7 miles) and a three lap race for the ladies (an extended two miles). Runners of all abilities and age groups will be catered for and entry is free. The series will be ideal for beginners preparing for races such as the Enniscorthy 10k or Wexford half marathon. The races will take place each Thursday evening for the next two months and runners will meet up in the square outside Ferns castle . Anyone interested in joining the club or taking up running to increase fitness should come along to try out club athletics in a friendly atmosphere. More info from Luke Kehoe on 087-3222914 or Sliabh Buidhe Rovers can be found on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi bewleys berry, is this open to all? Need a few blow outs to get back at it after the xmas :-)

Hi Niallooo, yes open to all, club runners, fun runners, joggers, anyone and all welcome :) only thing we'd ask is that everyone wears something luminous, even though the run will be mainly under street lights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

The Hope & Dream 10 mile will take place for the first time on April 1st in Enniscorthy. I have no affiliation with the race but hope to run it. It's in aid of the local Hope Centre & Share a Dream Foundation.

Rather than charge an entry fee they're asking all participants to try raise €100 in sponsorship. They hope to get at least 1,000 entries and thus raise at least €100,000. Both great local causes.

More details available at http://hopeanddream10.com/

mccarte2 wrote: »
    The Hope & Dream 10 mile will take place for the first time on April 1st in Enniscorthy. I have no affiliation with the race but hope to run it. It's in aid of the local Hope Centre & Share a Dream Foundation.

Rather than charge an entry fee they're asking all participants to try raise €100 in sponsorship. They hope to get at least 1,000 entries and thus raise at least €100,000. Both great local causes.

More details available at http://hopeanddream10.com/

It's great to see another new race on the calendar in Wexford and especially when it's one that raises money for such good causes......... let's hope it gets the 1,000 entries, looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

Results http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Enniscorthy10km_2012.xls

Well done Slaney Olympic again on another quality race, even the sun came out a little!

• Advertisement

Good turn-out yesterday for the Enniscorthy 10km, perfect running conditions. Well done to all involved.

Would it be standard for there to be no water stop on a club 10k run? Didn't realise there wouldn't be one :(

Quality run event otherwise and a lovely course, and a PB to boot!

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Would it be standard for there to be no water stop on a club 10k run? Didn't realise there wouldn't be one :(

Quality run event otherwise and a lovely course, and a PB to boot!

To be honest, I didn't even realise until this morning that there wasn't one. No need for one for a 10k especially in those conditions yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The two Sli cualann boys Ian and Lar did good. Especially Ian who, after a mile, found that his lace had opened. Great performance to fight his way back like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

tunguska wrote: »
    The two Sli cualann boys Ian and Lar did good. Especially Ian who, after a mile, found that his lace had opened. Great performance to fight his way back like that.

Must get the lad velcro closing runners for the next race. Didn't stop him PBing. Great running.

The medals in the Enniscorthy 10km were a nice touch too. Heres another link to the results http://www.slaneyolympic.com/2012/02/12/creane-creane-enniscorthy-10k/#more-826

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Could this race be a little short? Some of the times seem a tad quick compared to other recent races, found a few Garmin links and none of them are over 6.2. I might be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

I clocked 6.24 most people I chatted to had it shorter though.

Edit: Think most people figured it was down to all the cornering and cutting the corners short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

asimonov wrote: »
    Could this race be a little short? Some of the times seem a tad quick compared to other recent races, found a few Garmin links and none of them are over 6.2. I might be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

This is the big debate. I clocked it at 6.18 by my garmin. But having said that we turned a lot of corners and I think thats were the disprencies are coming from. Cant say for sure, would like to hear from the race organisers to see how they measured the course. Personally though I feel the time I ran wasn't overly flattering, the effort expended felt like a 33:xx 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

tunguska wrote: »
    This is the big debate. I clocked it at 6.18 by my garmin. But having said that we turned a lot of corners and I think thats were the disprencies are coming from. Cant say for sure, would like to hear from the race organisers to see how they measured the course. Personally though I feel the time I ran wasn't overly flattering, the effort expended felt like a 33:xx 10k.

the corners could definitely account for it - but the time differences between it and the heath 10k are massive. I don't think anyone could ever accuse you of not giving it everything in a race :) - you managed to close the gap that David from KCH had on you from the heath race.

But Linda Byrne was 2min faster than her Heath 10k time. In an event where every second is fought for - 2 min from a 34 min time is a lifetime. Maybe she was chasing a bonus or whatever, and in fairness she is at the extreme end of the differences but pretty much everyone under 36min picked up a minute between the two events. You ran them both, am i being a bit harsh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

asimonov wrote: »
    the corners could definitely account for it -
    A good course measurer will ensure that the shortest possible route is measured taking in to account the corners. I've seen it done on other courses and it can take many attempts to get it right, particulary on some parts of the course with twists and turns. An athletes reading should never be shorter than race distance but many will come out longer than it because they won't have cut the corners.

A course will never be measured 100% accurate but it should never be shorter. This course was AAI certified. There is a valley on one part of the course. Just wondering did that affect GPS measurement for some athletes.

wextipp wrote: »
    A good course measurer will ensure that the shortest possible route is measured taking in to account the corners. I've seen it done on other courses and it can take many attempts to get it right, particulary on some parts of the course with twists and turns. An athletes reading should never be shorter than race distance but many will come out longer than it because they won't have cut the corners.

A course will never be measured 100% accurate but it should never be shorter. This course was AAI certified. There is a valley on one part of the course. Just wondering did that affect GPS measurement for some athletes.

The start was also completely covered over by trees for about 100m - 200m. Not sure if that would also have caused issues. I know it did for me picking up the GPS for the mapmyrun app. Don't know if the Garmin watches would be better than that.

Quick times could also be down to the last 2k being mostly downhill as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Remember if you clocked 6.18m, that's a mere 112m shorter than 10km. 112m wouldn't explain times being 2 minutes quicker than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Remember if you clocked 6.18m, that's a mere 112m shorter than 10km. 112m wouldn't explain times being 2 minutes quicker than expected.

I think you'll find it's only actually 32 meters shorter than 10K.
    At the pace Linda Byrne was racing this would take her between 6- 6.5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Good point Dilbert. I calculate 112m would take off 22secs based on the pace it was run. To take off 2 minutes it would need to be short by 608 metres. No way is it that short. It is AAI certified and some courses are more friendly to GPS measuring than others and as said before trees and course contour can affect readings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I was dubious about this too lads after PBing on a bad day, but looking at the GPS trail just now I can see where the distance was lost on the Garmin:

EIqsV.png

Trees, valleys, sharp turns etc. did the damage. I got 6.14 but good to know that the distance is accurate. Still a killer of a course :(

Also, the Heath 10k was windy as f*ck, it was dead calm in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

trinib wrote: »

12.50 is fantastic value and Jane and Graham organise first class events.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

12.50 is fantastic value and Jane and Graham organise first class events.

+ 1 to that, and it's on a great course, last 3k are lightening fast. definitelly PB potential. Much better in my opinion that the Enniscorthy 10K course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Anyone have a course profile of this one?

Was considering the Samsung Night race in Dublin (for all of 5 seconds) but this one is less than half the price and is only a spin down the N11:D

Could not fault the organisation of the Enniscourty 10k so if its anything like that, everyone will be a winner;)

Advertisement