Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

asimonov wrote: »
    the corners could definitely account for it - but the time differences between it and the heath 10k are massive. I don't think anyone could ever accuse you of not giving it everything in a race :) - you managed to close the gap that David from KCH had on you from the heath race.

But Linda Byrne was 2min faster than her Heath 10k time. In an event where every second is fought for - 2 min from a 34 min time is a lifetime. Maybe she was chasing a bonus or whatever, and in fairness she is at the extreme end of the differences but pretty much everyone under 36min picked up a minute between the two events. You ran them both, am i being a bit harsh?

Theres a few things that you need to take into account. First off when I ran the heath 10k I was only coming back after my hamstring injury. At The end of that race I was disapointed because I felt like I didnt empty the tank, I had a lot more in me. So I definitely felt like 34:44 or whatever it was, wasnt a true relfection of what I could do. Ditto for Linda, she didnt race that 10k full out. I mean a week later in raheny she took over 20 seconds out of me so she was ramping it up week by week. In enniscorty she was racing maria mc cambridge for the whole distance, the two of them pushed each other all the way, I could see the battle taking place just up the road from me. I mean Linda finished just behind Bernard roe who is a great athlete and a tough bastard, so 32:xx is a fair reflection of the effort she put in on the day. I think she raced out of her skin and I also think the fact that she'll be going to the olympics later this year has something to do with her great form. She knows that 2:36 isnt good enough at the olympics so shes highly motivated to get as fast as possible between now and then. I know if I was on my way to the olympics I'd be like a man possessed, so I think her main goal is whats driving her to knock out great times.
    Sure anyway the national 10k is in april and we all know thats an accurate course and a tough one, so anytime you get on that is a true reflection of your ability. Im in for it and I'd say linda byrne will be there too, so for sure you'll get to see who stands where.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Out of interest how do you the know the 'National 10k' is an accurate course. The Enniscorthy 10k was advertised as an 'AAI certified' course. Surely that means it is an accurate course too. What is the process used to get a course 'AAI certified'.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

Ballycarney 10K is down to be on Saturday 28th April at 3.00pm.

This is the day after the County Senior Road race on Friday 27th at 7.00pm.

Anyone any idea if Ballycarney will still go ahead as planned?.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Hi, I've signed up for the hope and dream 10 mile in enniscorthy, does anyone know what the course is like - in terms of hills etc! Not many hills in my training at the minute so may need to introduce a few depending on the responses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 spriteof1798

Cooldog wrote: »
    Ballycarney 10K is down to be on Saturday 28th April at 3.00pm.

This is the day after the County Senior Road race on Friday 27th at 7.00pm.

Anyone any idea if Ballycarney will still go ahead as planned?.

Shouldn't make a difference. The Ballycarney race is a fun/charity event and doesn't have an AAI permit/insurance. The Friday race is an official AAI championship event. Different set of athletes.

• Advertisement

I'm new tothe county and to boards. I am a member of club from a neighbouring county and I'll eventually transfer. I will run in my own county championship. The Wexford championship is handy for me in Rosslare. Am I allowed to run in it as a guest.

Shouldn't make a difference. The Ballycarney race is a fun/charity event and doesn't have an AAI permit/insurance. The Friday race is an official AAI championship event. Different set of athletes.

I know the local running scene very well and last year out of the 80 odd runners that took part in the Ballycarney 10K approx 60 of those are memners of running clubs in County Wexford and as such are all egible to run the senior 10K on the Friday night. I know not all of them will run it but even if half go it will impact quiet significantly on the Ballycarney 10K. Ans as such with it being a charity event it might be more beneficial to the chosen charity to move the race back a week or two.

Cooldog wrote: »
    I know the local running scene very well
    I bow to your local knowlege. I got the impression from the profile on the Run Irland site that it was just a fun run. It is a pity they didn't link up with a local club and it could avoided such a clash. It has on-line entry so don't think it could be moved if entries have come in already.

Am I allowed to run in it as a guest.
    Thanks for the PM. Got the go ahead to run as a guest. Looking forward to tryin' ou the local talent. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Just seen in the local press today the date for the Ballycarney 10k has been changed to the 12th of May, http://www.runireland.com/events/ballycarney-charity-10k

• Advertisement

trinib wrote: »
    Just seen in the local press today the date for the Ballycarney 10k has been changed to the 12th of May, http://www.runireland.com/events/ballycarney-charity-10k

Really glad to hear that, charity will fair better of as a result of this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iwonceran

I bow to your local knowlege. I got the impression from the profile on the Run Irland site that it was just a fun run. It is a pity they didn't link up with a local club and it could avoided such a clash. It has on-line entry so don't think it could be moved if entries have come in already.

Now that the Ballycarney Charity 10K has been moved to 12th May an AAI permit has been applied for and the course will be officially measured. Originally the County Senior Race was scheduled for 15th April. The switch to 27th April meant that we had no choice but to change our date. Anyone who had already entered on line has been offered a refund if the new date does not suit.

iwonceran wrote: »
    ... an AAI permit has been applied for

This is good news. It is bad enough everyone else ignoring the permit system but AAI associated events should set an example to everyone else. It also means more money for the charity as several hundred euro doesn't need to be forked out on insurance for the event and everyone is covered, runners and organizers.

The whole area is a ticking time bomb as regards insurance. Someone is going to get hurt and someone else is going to get sued big time. If any public race is organized and people are charged entry and there are runners from outside the organizing club taking part then either a permit must be obtained or seperate insurance obtained. Otherwise race director's could be liable for any neglegence when it comes to health and safety.
    ... Originally the County Senior Race was scheduled for 15th April. The switch to 27th April meant that we had no choice but to change our date ..
    If a permit had been sought in the first place then the clash would not have happened.

Great race in Enniscorthy today, well organised, well marshalled, well supported, great water stations and nice grub afterwards, pity about all those hill's though.

Anyone know when results will be posted and where?.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

This is a fundraising event for the local soccer club with the view of making it an annual event. Its off road on a good surface of smooth chippings. Entry on the day 10 euro with refreshments after in the Ballycarney Inn.

This is a novel course around the 12 Castledockrell windmills and has stunning views across to Mt Leinster and the Blackstairs mountains. Have run the route on several occasions. It is excellent underfoot. Should be a good turnout of Wexford athletes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KILMOREAC

It's a bit away yet but Kilmore AC have set the date for their 5k in Kilmore Quay. It takes place on the 7th of July during the seafood festival. It is 5 laps of the village. We have added a thread for it.

Name|Distance|Type|Status|Date|Organizer|Location
    Taghmon Mini-Marathon|10k|Road||Mon, 7th May|Taghmon Action Group|Taghmon Village
    Ballycarney charity 10k|10k|Road|AAI permit|Sat, 12th May|Graham & Jane Porter|Ballycarney
    Castledockrell 5k|5k|Off-road|Fun run|Sat, 19th May|Local soccer club|Castledockrell
    Womens masters |3k|Road|AAI championship|Fri, 26th May|AAI Wexford|Kilmore
    Mens masters|6k|Road|AAI championship|Fri, 26th May|AAI Wexford|Kilmore
    Monageer 3 mile|3 mile|Road|Open club|Fri, 15th Jun|Slaney Olympic|Monageer
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Road|AAI permit|Sun, 24th Jun|Graham & Jane Porter|Enniscorthy
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile|Road|AAI permit|Sun, 24th Jun|Graham & Jane Porter|Enniscorthy
    Taghmon 10k|10k|Road|Open club|Fri, 29th Jun|Slaney Olympic|Taghmon Village
    Ballagh 4 mile|4 mile|Road|Open club|Fri, 6th Jul|Slaney Olympic|The Ballagh
    Kilmore Quay Seafood Festival 5k|5k|Road|AAI permit|Sat, 7th Jul|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay
    Clonroche 5k|5k|Road|Open club|Fri, 20th Jul|Slaney Olympic|Clonroche
    Ballymurn 4 mile|4 mile|Road|Open club|Fri, 3rd Aug|Slaney Olympic|Ballymurn
    Davidstown 4 mile|4 mile|Road|Open club|Fri, 10th Aug|Slaney Olympic|Davidstown
    Arachas 10k|10k|Road|AAI permit|Sat, 8th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village
    Celtic Link 10k|10k|Road||Sun, 24th Feb, 2013|St James GAA club|Duncannon

The 4 Mile race in Ballymurn has been brought forward to 3rd August. These Slaney Olympic League races are open to all. Details are on slaneyolympic.com.
    Online entry for the Ballycarney 10K in aid of Oxfam is on runireland.com. The race has an AAI permit. Great course for a PB...see comments from last year.;)

The 4 Mile race in Ballymurn has been brought forward to 3rd August. These Slaney Olympic League races are open to all. Details are on slaneyolympic.com.
    Online entry for the Ballycarney 10K in aid of Oxfam is on runireland.com. The race has an AAI permit. Great course for a PB...see comments from last year.;)
    If you click on the race name in the table above it will bring you to the event web-site. The date is now changed on it for Ballymurn.
    If anyone has any suggestions on the format or descriptions on the table let me know and I'll change them.

• Advertisement

Just added in the 'Trip to Cullenstown' 12k which takes place on Friday, 27th July at 7pm, 10 Euro on-line and 15 on the day.

Name|Distance|Type|Status|Date|Organizer|Location
    Ballycarney charity 10k|10k|Road|AAI permit|Sat, 12th May|Graham & Jane Porter|Ballycarney
    Castledockrell 5k|5k|Off-road|Fun run|Sat, 19th May|Local soccer club|Castledockrell
    Womens masters |3k|Road|AAI championship|Fri, 26th May|AAI Wexford|Kilmore
    Mens masters|6k|Road|AAI championship|Fri, 26th May|AAI Wexford|Kilmore
    Monageer 3 mile|3 mile|Road|Club league|Fri, 15th Jun|Slaney Olympic|Monageer
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Road|AAI permit|Sun, 24th Jun|Graham & Jane Porter|Enniscorthy
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile|Road|AAI permit|Sun, 24th Jun|Graham & Jane Porter|Enniscorthy
    Taghmon 10k|10k|Road|Club league|Fri, 29th Jun|Slaney Olympic|Taghmon Village
    Ballagh 4 mile|4 mile|Road|Club league|Fri, 6th Jul|Slaney Olympic|The Ballagh
    Kilmore Quay Seafood Festival 5k|5k|Road|AAI permit|Sat, 7th Jul|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay
    Clonroche 5k|5k|Road|Club league|Fri, 20th Jul|Slaney Olympic|Clonroche
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k|Road|AAI permit|Fri, 27th Jul|Phil Murphy Weekend|Carrig on Bannow
    Ballymurn 4 mile|4 mile|Road|Club league|Fri, 3rd Aug|Slaney Olympic|Ballymurn
    Davidstown 4 mile|4 mile|Road|Club league|Fri, 10th Aug|Slaney Olympic|Davidstown
    Arachas 10k|10k|Road|AAI permit|Sat, 8th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village
    Celtic Link 10k|10k|Road||Sun, 24th Feb, 2013|St James GAA club|Duncannon
    Hope and Dream 10|10 Mile|Road||Sun, 24th Mar, 2013|Hope/Dream charity|Enniscorthy
    Rosslare 10k|10k|Road||Mon, 1st April, 2013|Wexford Tri club|Rosslare Strand

Added Oylegate 10k/half
    Notes on table:
    1. If you click on the event name it will bring you to the event web-site
    2. If you click on the column heading it will sort on that column
    3. The entry fee shown is the cheapest available (usually on-line)

Name|Distance|Chip|Status|Date|Organizer|Location|Entry Fee
    Castledockrell 5k|5k|No|Fun run|Sat, 19th May|Local soccer club|Castledockrell|10
    Womens masters |3k|No|AAI championship|Fri, 25th May|AAI Wexford|Kilmore |0
    Mens masters|6k|No|AAI championship|Fri, 25th May|AAI Wexford|Kilmore |0
    Monageer 3 mile|3 mile|No|Club league|Fri, 15th Jun|Slaney Olympic|Monageer|0
    Strawberry Half Marathon|13.1 Mile|Yes|AAI permit|Sun, 24th Jun|Graham & Jane Porter|Enniscorthy|40
    Strawberry 5 mile|5 mile|Yes|AAI permit|Sun, 24th Jun|Graham & Jane Porter|Enniscorthy|20
    Taghmon 10k|10k|No|Club league|Fri, 29th Jun|Slaney Olympic|Taghmon Village|0
    Ballagh 4 mile|4 mile|No|Club league|Fri, 6th Jul|Slaney Olympic|The Ballagh|0
    Kilmore Quay Seafood Festival 5k|5k|No|AAI permit|Sat, 7th Jul|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Quay|10
    Clonroche 5k|5k|No|Club league|Fri, 20th Jul|Slaney Olympic|Clonroche|0
    Trip to Cullenstown 12k|12k| |AAI permit|Fri, 27th Jul|Phil Murphy Weekend|Carrig on Bannow|10
    Ballymurn 4 mile|4 mile|No|Club league|Fri, 3rd Aug|Slaney Olympic|Ballymurn|0
    Davidstown 4 mile|4 mile|No|Club league|Fri, 10th Aug|Slaney Olympic|Davidstown|0
    Oylegate 10k|10k| ||Sun, 26th Aug|Glenbrein GAA|Oylegate|15
    Oylegate half marathon|13.1 mile| ||Sun, 26th Aug|Glenbrein GAA|Oylegate|30
    Arachas 10k|10k|No|AAI permit|Sat, 8th Sep|Kilmore AC|Kilmore Village|15
    Celtic Link 10k|10k|Yes||Sun, 24th Feb, 2013|St James GAA club|Duncannon|20
    Hope and Dream 10|10 Mile|Yes||Sun, 24th Mar, 2013|Hope/Dream charity|Enniscorthy|
    Rosslare 10k|10k|Yes||Mon, 1st April, 2013|Wexford Tri club|Rosslare Strand|

Just to kick off a bit of dicussion on Wexford road races, I was just wondering what people expect when they pay to run a race.
    Fiver: Just a fun run
    Tenner: Manual timing, accurate course
    Fifteen: Add grub afterwards
    Twenty: Add Tee-shirt, goodie bag, chip timing.
    If it's a charity event do you expect less, a commercial event expect more? What makes you pay more, do you expect full road closures for a high entry fee. Really wondering what people expect in return for their money.

wextipp wrote: »
    Just to kick off a bit of dicussion on Wexford road races, I was just wondering what people expect when they pay to run a race.
    Fiver: Just a fun run
    Tenner: Manual timing, accurate course
    Fifteen: Add grub afterwards
    Twenty: Add Tee-shirt, goodie bag, chip timing.
    If it's a charity event do you expect less, a commercial event expect more? What makes you pay more, do you expect full road closures for a high entry fee. Really wondering what people expect in return for their money.

If you are an elite athlete the prize money is relevant so you may pay more, but I guess for the majority (myself included) this doesn't enter the equation, so it comes down to value for money the table you sugested above would be pretty accurate I suppose but what I would like to see more of is full disclosure by the people running these races by that I mean after the race publish the numbers entered, prize money given and any other costs incurred in putting on the race this way people can see exactly where their entry fee is going and where the balance of money is going, are people profiting out of these races?
    A number of races state that they are doing a race in aid of a certain charity, does this mean all the money raised after expenses is going to the charity of only a % of it? these are the kind of things that full disclosure would clarify.
    We are after all in recessionary times but I for one feel that this is not reflected in race entry fees.
    I think a lot of people would prefer a lower entry fee instead of a goody bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

I think about 15 euro is about right for a well organised 10Km, some of the races in Waterford give a hat which is a nice alternative to a t shirt
    no medals please except maybe for the top 3, unnecessary cost and devalues a medal

catch 22 on commerical races - if someone doesn't organise them it doesn't happen. It's a commerical venture I don't think they should be obliged to say where the money goes other than to say maybe how much is going to charity (if they are saying some is going to charity).
    Take for instance the half marathon in Wexford - a lot of grumbling about it but no club took it up to organise it themselves even though the demand from the public is there.

Some clubs are brilliant at organising races for the benefit of all, and others even though they have a lot of top runners organise none. Maybe every club should be obliged to organise one adult race a year?

Personally all I want from a race is, minimum queing, accurate mile/km markers (KM is my preferance), bottled water, safe and accurate course and a time at the end. Also like promptly published results to see how friends and club mates did. Not bothered with a tee-shirt, goodie bag, food etc afterwards. Nice to have a good buzz at the finish if the family come along, Rosslare 10K is good for that. Agree with Uphill in that organizers should not have to publish their finances but should make it clear how much goes to charity and not be misleading with promotion material. That goes for commercial and non-commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

I agree about the food, IMO drop it altogether, add in a bottle of water & banana. No interest in T shirts myself or medals for that matter. I gave mine to a child standing with her mother after the Enniscorthy 10k this year ( her smile was fantastic ).
    Accurate KM markers, accurately measured course, accurate results and published results in excel so I can filter for clubmates etc.
    Easy really and all for 10/15 euro for a 10K !!!

Just had a survey on reasons that people choose a running event from walkjogrun pop up on facebook. Here are the results.
    picture.php?albumid=2131&pictureid=12933

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Does anyone have a garmin link for the strawberry half marathon? The one in the race profile thread doesn't seem to be a valid link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a garmin link for the strawberry half marathon? The one in the race profile thread doesn't seem to be a valid link?

If just updated the link in that thread with this:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95505113

Advertisement