Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longest period you have gone without sleep?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

60+hours once when on a training exercise in my RDF days. Did a joint excercise with a PDF unit. Man was that hard but after the 24 period you do tend to go into auto mood and forget about sleep a little. The scariest thing was the officer in charge didnt sleep the entire week. That man was a machine/rambo :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

22-24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

28-30 hours, usually do this once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

iv done between 36 - 38.... (the 2 unknown hours was when i got into bed not knowing if i was asleep of awake....

anything after about 28 is serious (and probably dangerous) imo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

Sykk wrote: »
    People saying longer than 48 hours are full of ****.

i actually agree unless its an illness...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Fart wrote: »
    I saw a documentary about this: Fatal Familial Insomnia.

It's rare and only runs through a long bloodline of families, but it must be a terrible thing to have and live with.

The most I've gone for is probably 24 - 30 hours, so not that much.

Just had a read of that. This is what got my attention.
    Corke died in 1992 a month before his 41st birthday, by which time he had gone without sleep for six months

Holy crap. What a horrible way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Managed just over 68 hours during my last week in college, the last few hours of which were spent at our end of year night out drinking. Then slept for about 4 hours and had to get up to Belfast for the day. Got back and slept for about 20 hours.

Stayed awake with help from coffee, red bull, cigarettes, chocolate milk, toasted sandwiches, regular showers and the fear of missing final deadlines and failing. Wasn't healthy or fun at all, but I got everything done and it all worked out.

I don't think I could or would want to ever do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

3 nights and 4 days without a Sniff of sleep in Vegas, it was mental, the state of me afterwards though..........
    Was there for the Hatton mayweather fight with 7 mates, we had a ' party like ozzy osbourne' challenge, on the 4th day I got 2nd place after pouring my coke remnants away and giving up, apparently less than 5 minutes later the winner was snoring beside me too.
    Never again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Does being in a coma count?

Your username is quite apt.

Have you just woken up from one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

About 70 hours. I lost my mind around the 48 hour mark when psychosis kicked in

It was when they sold that bzp **** in the headshops, that stuff was really really awful. Now mephedrone, there's a good headshop drug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

darokane wrote: »
    Does staying awake with the aid of illegal substances count?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Around fifty, I'd say, with a few of those "eyes closed/nope, I'm now awake" moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

It was around 32 hours, involving a long flight and airport delays. I slept for about 18 hours when I finally hit the sheets. That moment when my head touched the pillow and I knew I could sleep for as long as I wanted....t'was loverly. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

36 hours on several occasions due to flight times coming eastbound out of the States, arriving at 0dark hundred into Europe, and then not heading for sleep until the right European time, helps break the jet lag a little, but not much fun.

Longest was a long time ago (couldn't do it now), ended up working 60 Hrs on a major computer crash, with a couple of 20 minute cat naps (I was examining the back of my eye lids) while the computer was doing things. Not an experience I ever wanted to repeat, but we did manage to get it back without any data loss, which was the main requirement.

Another major computer crash a long time ago, a team of us ended up working 10 days of at least 18 hours a day, and the 6 hours off included meals and the like, and the sleep quality wasn't good because of the pressure, did a lot of sleeping for a number of days after that one!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

40hrs. 36hrs getting a deadline done for the job and 4 hrs staring at the walls after. Not recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

4 days.Freezing cold.Starving.Looking out of trenches you built for no reason at all.Closing your eyes to get a slap in the face and a rat faced middle aged man shouting paddy at you at the highest volume an inch from your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Nearly touching 4 days id say, Ibiza is a dangerous place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Just under 50 hrs .......... and actually got paid for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

36 hours then the 'fuzziness' started kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

3 days.. just didnt bother sleeping, no biggie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Must say, getting to bed after days of no sleep is one of if not the best feelings in the world. It's like you don't care about anything in the world anymore but falling asleep, so the second you hit the pillow you are 100% content and the few seconds between that and falling asleep are perfect.

Not sure exactly how long I've gone without sleep but I'm regularly awake 48 hours+ and most of those times end in a 3-4 hour nap then another couple of days without sleep, which are the worst.

Was at an uncle of mines funeral lately, he stayed in the house between friday morning (when he died) and monday afternoon for the funeral didn't sleep between travelling up the country on thursday and the sunday. I looked so bad that I got more attention than his kids from the hundreds of calllers over the weekend, thinking I was a daughter of his and took it the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Not the same thing but i flipped my sleeping pattern for a week. I had done an all nighter before an exam. Slept after the exam and woke up at 10pm and had breakfast and started studying again. Everyday my alarm woke me at 10pm and I went to bed at 2pm.

It worked brilliantly for me until I went for a pint after my final exam and walked out of the pub at 7pm thinking it was 7am. Paid for a taxi home (thinking that there were no busses) then answered a phone call from my mother...

Given my confused, sleep deprived (slightly drunken) state you can imagine how that conversation went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Sykk wrote: »
    People saying longer than 48 hours are full of ****.

Not true. I've currently been awake about 40 hours or so, though am going to try to sleep shortly. This happens about once or twice most weeks, though I tend to have a big sleep day too.
    I'm not a chronic insomniac, but I do sleep erratically, work odd hours and have strange energy bursts.
    I've slept through over 24 hours in the past (scared the crap out of my then housemate) and have been awake for over three days on a number of occasions. But as people have said, you do get quite impaired. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive or do anything important after about 30 hours awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

But as people have said, you do get quite impaired. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive or do anything important after about 30 hours awake.

Yep, the longest I'd say I've been awake is 30 hours and I felt like I was in a dream world, detached from everything around me. Even my sight was affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Lightweights, the lot of ya! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Rather than an extended absence of sleep, instead I have been going to bed at all hours of the morning, which has accumulated over time to **** my body up completely. Got 7 hours from 02:00-09:00, felt like crap all day, after college went home and around 18:00 got real drowsy. My mum came in and woke me up at 20:00, and I was genuinely confused/ disorientated for a good 5-7 minutes after that, felt like my brain was completely fried, horrible.

Bottom line, I need to fix my sleeping pattern, my body clock is berserk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

When I was 25 I stayed awake for 36 hours. It involved an early morning start in Dublin, a flight to London, with a couple of hours in the city before flying to New Zealand via Singapore. I have always found it impossible to sleep on planes and this was no exception. When I arrived, I felt suspiciously good, so despite the best efforts of my friends to persuade me to get a few hours kip I refused. Ended up being thrown out of the bar in the hostel for falling asleep standing up at the pool table after several cheap pints. There is no way I could do that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

5 days.............twas sh1t!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

About 30 hours... I love my sleep to much :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Between 24 and 36hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Around 36 hours, years ago when I had sleeping & energy problems. Thankfully that hasn't been the case for a long time; not something I'd recommend. Also for transatlantic flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Just went 38 hours, new baby was the cause of the 1st 22 hours, 2nd 14 hours was the result of going into temple street with my son, by the time i got released i had to organise getting home, was great craic altogether, ended up being as moody as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

About 34 hours I think. Was coming back from holidays. I'll always remember it because the day after I passed my driving test, first go. Felt like such a boss that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Working on a deadline I once stayed awake for nearly 6 days straight - it got so bad, pictures seemed to be talking to me, I started making huge spelling errors, I couldn't form sentences and would often dream while awake - my brain literally started to shut down. Man, it took me months to get back to sleeping right. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 itsalongday

Self employed the last 6 Years/ until last year I would regularly work a 3 day straight with about 2 x 30 minutes quick snoozes due to work pressure etc worked on my feet for a 50 odd hour straight one time last year and almost collapsed used to feel dizzy, cut myself by mistake, walk into things, moody ,decided last august not anymore , can't be good, but I do stay up till about midnight most nights then up at 6 am as standard but nearly always once a week I crash until about 11 am don't know how normal that is, didnt think 3o hours awake is big deal but 30 hours work shift is us travel etc either side of it by 45 mins! Im seeing the light!!!! ;0)

Working on a deadline I once stayed awake for nearly 6 days straight - it got so bad, pictures seemed to be talking to me, I started making huge spelling errors, I couldn't form sentences and would often dream while awake - my brain literally started to shut down. Man, it took me months to get back to sleeping right. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

46 hours. Was never so glad to get to my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

About 52 hours (weekend long party ;). Was so ****ed by the end of it I thought some guy was coming to fix windscreen wipers on my car. Went upstairs to find I'd left a window open and a cat had got in and shat on the floor. Chased it through the house with a lead pipe. I don't think I've ever felt as utterly insane as that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

4 days when new anti-depressants I was on gave me insomnia.Slowly started losing my mind,thought my bedroom floor was crawling with snakes and I was afraid to get out of bed in case they bit me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

4 days when new anti-depressants I was on gave me insomnia.Slowly started losing my mind,thought my bedroom floor was crawling with snakes and I was afraid to get out of bed in case they bit me.
    Hah! Same reason here. Was put on SSRIs that had no effect on me after two weeks, so the doctor doubled the dose and four days later I started my week-long (full 7 days, ugh) adventure, high as a kite and paranoid as fück
    I remember wishing I had blinkers, because my peripheral vision was filled with absolute lunacy. People's faces twisting and gurning, everything being far too fücking loud. Didn't help that I was thinking too fast to reason things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

About 36 hours on my last trip home, flying back to New Zealand. For some reason I just couldn't fall asleep on the planes that time, normally I'm pretty good about it. I'm a very sleepy person as well and need lots of sleep so I was like a zombie getting home from the airport - I was in a complete daze. It did mean once I went to bed and had a big long sleep I wasn't jetlagged when I woke up though. Still wouldn't want it to happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Does being in a coma count?

Youre hardly comatose and awake at the same time are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Rather than an extended absence of sleep, instead I have been going to bed at all hours of the morning, which has accumulated over time to **** my body up completely. Got 7 hours from 02:00-09:00, felt like crap all day, after college went home and around 18:00 got real drowsy. My mum came in and woke me up at 20:00, and I was genuinely confused/ disorientated for a good 5-7 minutes after that, felt like my brain was completely fried, horrible.

Bottom line, I need to fix my sleeping pattern, my body clock is berserk.

Same here, as you can probably tell from the time of this post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Can't remember exactly how many days. Think it was 9 days. It was hell. Started having "waking dreams" and halucinations. Most of it is just a fog of misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

31 hours, I did it two days ago for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

z z z z z z z z z z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

27 hours, not the longest time here, but I was driving a truck at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Bout 48 hours in Thailand!... Was worth it in the end but gaawd did I sleep after that!... My family thought I was dead cause they hadnt heard from me for 2 days after cos I was asleep!...

Good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Have done over 48 hours on more then one occasion. Daftest thing I ever did was a sponsored motorbike ride 1000 miles in 22 hours - don't remember the last two hours of it

Advertisement