Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which router to get? Tried a Netgear N300 and signal was bad

Options
  • 15-01-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have 20mb broadband through UPC, and it's wired.

So I bought a Netgear N300 on the advice of a salesman in Maplin, but having tried it, it was pretty bad, signal was terrible.

If you left the room it dropped, and once you were directly underneath downstairs it dropped altogether.

To make sure there wasn't an issue with insulation/house, we plugged in my friends Cisco EP2425, and we had full signal all over the house.

So I'm looking for a router with similar capabilites as the Cisco EP2425 (standard one provided by UPC). As I believe you can't buy them new?

There are a few of them for sale on Adverts, but are they effectively no good if bought used? (as in UPC can shut down the boxes?)

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly UPC will not allow you to add your own cable modem to the their network you are stuck with the ones they provide you.

What wireless settings are you using on the netgear? have you tried it on the different channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

dub45 wrote: »
    Firstly UPC will not allow you to add your own cable modem to the their network you are stuck with the ones they provide you.

Weird. Cos we hooked up my friends Cisco epc2425 by wiring it to my old cable modem, and it worked fine.

So do you think buying a used one, it won't work?
    dub45 wrote: »
    What wireless settings are you using on the netgear? have you tried it on the different channels?

I can't remember, don't think I tried any different channels. Salesman in Maplin didn't mention any different channels.

And going through the installation, all went fine.

And have since brought it back and gotten my money back so can't check it again.

Advertisement